What caliber?

Operation of a revolver vs semi auto is absolutely negligible for any adult with a room temperature IQ and 20 minutes of instruction.
Disagree - 20 minutes of training? ... exaggeration. Does that total of 20 min of training include every aspect of clearing the multiple ways a semi-auto can malfunction while in a stressful attacker situation?

Again - if you are literally just picking up a firearm and plopping into a holster with minimal training you are going to be better off with pepper spray.
True, and I agree this person may do just that if not willing to do the more extensive training with a semi-auto.

The training required to become proficient enough with a firearm to effectively carry it concealed makes any negligible difference between firearms irrelevant. Further - the ease of followup shots and accuracy with lighter semi-auto triggers make them technically easier to use in an adrenalin dump situation. You will be yanking that double action trigger pull all over on that revolver.
But if someone trains enough with a revolver they should still be able to hit center of mass at 20~25 ft or less in double action. I have seen pretty inexperienced shooters (both men and women) with little practice do that pretty easily. And BTW, have you ever seen a half way proficient revolver user rapid fire using single action ... it's really not that hard to do with a little hammer cocking practice, and gets rounds off plenty quick without disturbing aim once mastered.

This “revolvers are simpler” line is total FUDD talk. Anyone giving grandma a revolver because she can’t be taught to use a semi-auto is doing her and the public a disservice.
Sounds like more exaggeration. Half the guys here think a 38 revolver is a good choice, especially for a new shooter. I even prefer a revolver in the house for it's ease of operation if ever in a possible half asleep situation.

If you choose to carry a revolver that is totally fine, but again the level of training to become proficient with it will be equal to (or greater) than a semi auto and once you are at that level of training whether you chose a revolver or semi DOESN’T matter.
"That level of training" ... which will be greater to be totally proficient with a semi-auto that could malfunction while in a stressful situation. If someone doesn't understand and practice for malfuntions, then its not complete training. People that are pretty trained would still be flustered by a semi-auro malfuntion if being attacked.

Obviously the OP should explain to his wife all the details of the differences between revolvers and semi-autos, and show her with real unloaded guns of both designs to see if she has the attitude if she wants to be proficient with a semi-auto and clearly understand what's required for all the possible malfunctions. A self defense gun is as usefull as a rock if it stops working.

Agree to disagree at this point, going in circles. Maybe the OP will let us know how the dust settles.

Last edited:
Disagree - 20 minutes of training? ... exaggeration. Does that total of 20 min of training include every aspect of clearing the multiple ways a semi-auto can malfunction while in a stressful attacker situation?

True, and I agree this person may do just that if not willing to do the more extensive training with a semi-auto.

But if someone trains enough with a revolver they should still be able to hit center of mass at 20~25 ft or less in double action. I have seen pretty inexperienced shooters (both men and women) with little practice do that pretty easily.

Sounds like more exaggeration. Half the guys here think a 38 revolver is a good choice, especially for a new shooter. I even prefer a revolver in the house for it's ease of operation iin a possible half asleep situation.

"That level of training" ... which will be greater to be totally proficient with a semi-auto that could malfunction while in a stressful situation. If someone doesn't understand and practice for malfuntions, then it's not complete training. People that are pretty trained would still be flustered by a semi-auro malfuntion if being attacked.

Obviously the OP should explain to his wife all the details of the differences between revolvers and semi-autos to his wife, and show her with real unloaded guns of both designs to see if she has the attitude if she wants to be proficient with a semi-auto and clearly understand what's required for all the possible malfunctions. A self defense gun is as usefull as a rock if it stops working.

Agree to disagree at this point, going in circles. Maybe the OP will let us know how the dust settles.

One last time. At the level of training needed to be proficient with a concealed handgun (and not a liability) firearm selection is irrelevant.

You are recommending a revolver because it’s “easier.” I am saying that if it’s “easier” it’s because they aren’t well trained enough to carry a firearm.

Revolvers are fine weapons. They come with a number of compromises that make them different, but comparably difficult to operate effectively (I’ve mentioned some already.) Your focus seems to be on malfunctions - I get it - but that is not a singular criteria for selection. Too often it’s a crutch used to support recommending a firearm to someone that would be better off with another defensive tool.

Let the OP's wife determine which one would be "easier" for her when he (or a firearms trained) explains and shows her all the possible malfunctions and the required actions to clear them while being attacked.

I've been down this road with first time women shooters and the simplicity of a revolver is real for them. It's going to boil down to what she's most comfortable with. But if she's willing to take lots more training besides becoming proficient at hitting a target regardless if it's a revolver or a semi-auto, and learning all aspects of operating a semi-auto and what exactly to do with every possible malfunction, then more power to her. (y)

Back