Smith 637 Performance Center vs Bodyguard 380?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: strat81
Originally Posted By: loyd
Kahr PM45 is only 1/2 inch longer than a .380 Bodyguard. Too many people have taken a 38 round and killed their victim anyway. When I shoot someone I want them to stay down and preferably stop living!

The PM45 is almost double the weight of the LCP, more than double the weight of the P32, and closer to the Glock 26 in weight.

For gym shorts carry like the OP is talking about, the PM45 is a no go.

Yes, loyd seems to have missed the point here.

Also to elaborate, I have an SR22 and I put gym shorts on today and carried it around the house. Too cumbersome and heavy and from what I recall that gun is 19 oz fully loaded and 17.5 oz empty. I know the bodyguard would fit the bill - and i like the design of the gun - but I hate that trigger and can't get over the 380 round. But I know I'd carry it. Grrr. I am drawn to the j-frame but am afraid it will be too thick/heavy and I'd be tempted to keep it at home which would defeat the purpose.

Kel-Tec P3AT with a belt clip.

11.1oz loaded with 6 shots of 380 Auto.

414-355-b_25e894a4ac6f60b8e1fee8071d4aad01P3AT-4.jpg

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Kel-Tec P3AT with a belt clip.

11.1oz loaded with 6 shots of 380 Auto.

414-355-b_25e894a4ac6f60b8e1fee8071d4aad01P3AT-4.jpg

+1 Lets face it, it did its job on a notorious self defense case from Florida... It or it's Ruger relative.

Originally Posted By: loyd
Kahr PM45 is only 1/2 inch longer than a .380 Bodyguard. Too many people have taken a 38 round and killed their victim anyway. When I shoot someone I want them to stay down and preferably stop living!

Real work kills have less to do with any caliber and SINGLE shots. Kill percentages climb very quickly with 2 or more center mass hits, regardless of caliber diameter or velocity for that matter.

2 9mm's center mass kill better (stat speaking) than a single 45ACP.

Now I am comfortable with 9mm, 40, 357MAG, 357SIG, 10mm, 45 and have carried each. Yes 380 and 38 have taken plenty a life, but so have knives. My personal fav is a call I went to with a mutt shot in the neck. 25cal, barely any blood, doc left the bullet in and sent the bad guy (victim here) home later that morning with a referral to a surgeon to have it removed. Last I knew the bad guy never had it taken out.

I often carry Kahr PM40 and find it comfy. 17oz unloaded IIRC. PM9 and PM40 have been reliable for my family.

Why not an LC9 if you already are set up for 9mm? Small, blended contours to eliminate snagging, concealed hammer, light, 7+1, fantastic customer service.

I'm considering the smith and wesson M+P Shield. Its very slim, 7 round and i think 8 round also. Its in 9mm and .40. 6.5lb trigger pull, 19oz.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm considering the smith and wesson M+P Shield. Its very slim, 7 round and i think 8 round also. Its in 9mm and .40. 6.5lb trigger pull, 19oz.

I have been set on one - they shoot great and conceal easily but it's too heavy. It breaks my heart.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

+1 Lets face it, it did its job on a notorious self defense case from Florida... It or it's Ruger relative.

That was a 9mm.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I often carry Kahr PM40 and find it comfy. 17oz unloaded IIRC. PM9 and PM40 have been reliable for my family.
I'm another Kahr fan. I have a new CW-380. It's not been through it's 200 round recommended break in yet. I carry it in a DeSantis Nemesis in my front pocket. The larger calibers can and do offer a bit more in stopping power (stats), but often people are more apt to carry what is easiest to conceal. If something happened to this, I would replace it with the same. It has a real nice dao trigger, and a last shot fired slide lock open. The only negative thing I can say about the gun is I don't like the sights. They most likely would not be used in a close proximity confrontation.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: SOHCman

That was a 9mm.

Doh, my bad. It was the PF9, not the .380. I imagine the results would have been similar, but we will never know.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I absolutely advise against the Bodyguard .380ACP.

It is a horrible weapon. It will self destruct. The body pins will slide out when least expected, the laser will quit working, the screw that holds the laser will back out and jam the slide and the only fix is to return it for repair.

The S&W Bodyguard .380ACP is the only gun I ever returned for a full refund. It's that bad.

This is not a "feel good" statement for me, i purchased the Smith 4-5 months ago. other than a single jam with a hollow point ( i shold have known better) its been a solid shooter for the half dozen magazines i ran through it. now you have me worried...

My father in law has the S&W Bodyguard .380ACP. He had to send it in once because the laser broke, and he's been thinking of selling it because the trigger is really awful (long, heavy pull).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back