What are you working on today?

Swapped out the 17 year old, 200k mile MAF sensor on the Grand Marquis. I’d been getting odd behavior from the engine occasionally, hesitation and the like. Did a search on the Panther platform forums and found suggestions to replace it.

Buying it local isn’t cheap, so I opted for RockAuto. Yeah it’s aftermarket but it’s not worth throwing an expensive Motorcraft part at it either.

I drove it about 50 miles in town round trip with no problems. Runs great now, so I’m considering using it for a 300 mile trip across the state to assist with Chrysler Town & Country that’s giving my brother problems.

Guess 😁

IMG_20240229_173417701.jpg

4th Gen F-body ;)

I know that engine bay well, My 2001 Camaro used to have a 3800 Series 2 in it......
9tPY16G.jpg
Correct. And I shouldn't have to be doing this job at all, I was told that mine had a rebuilt engine in it and judging by how clean the valve train and lifter valley are, I believe it. But whoever put it in must have not had a gasket for the upper intake where the thermostat housing bolts to the lower intake and just smeared RTV all over the area. It was leaking coolant out from under the throttle body and by the time I pulled the upper intake off to fix it, I might as well remove the lower since I could tell it had (brand new) plastic gaskets and that's a no-no. And since I had gone that far I'm now replacing the heater hoses because they were *very* soft when I pulled them off, and the upper/lower rad hoses because I'm not sure they've ever been done and they're cheap.

Is that an LS swap in yours? My long-term goals are slightly different, possibly an electric drive train in the very far future.

Replaced the right rear wheel bearing on the Grand Caravan.

I thought possibly the left side bearing I installed last week was faulty. I replaced the right side after inspection due to grinding noise and rust galore. I used my Lisle hub remover to make quick work of it.

And it was the noisy right side bearing making me assume a bad left side. It must have been transmitting the grinding across the rear axle beam.

Now it’s a silent smooth rider. I’m taking it across the state for two reasons: it’s going to be a reference for working on a Chrysler Town and Country van or about the same vintage (Dodge is a 2011; Chrysler is a 2014) and it will be left behind as a loaner for my brother and his family. They need the room it has for hauling people.

Got the engine pulled out of the 98 GMC Sierra. Took it over to the big truck shop where they'll do a gasket refresh on it and then install it in a 97 Chevrolet Cheyenne 2500

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Replaced radiator, oil pressure sensor, changed oil

1988 GMC Sierra 1500
Replaced thermostat housing, thermostat, changed oil

I replaced the battery on my 2015 Lincoln MKC. It was replaced under warranty 5.5 years ago and is showing the normal signs of the death spiral. Oh what fun the engineers at Ford/Lincoln had when they jammed the battery into the rear of the engine bay. Had to remove the air filter housing to make enough room to remove the battery.... Went with the Interstate at Costco for $119.

53fcca23-1000-46b0-a038-38ccd57d8dce.jpg

Working on FIL's 2004 GMC Sierra, and my truck. FIL's truck has been laid up for a couple months with a bad fuse box that a mouse ruined. They got it back from the shop with a new fuse box, so we're driving it around to get the readiness codes restored since it's due for e-check soon. Noticed the tires looked pretty soft, and the DIC is saying it needs an oil change, so I offered to do it for him. The window sticker from the quick change place said it was last changed in 2021 :oops: . So, fresh oil and filter, and brought his 20 PSI tires back up to 50.

My truck was due for axle fluid changes and a transfer case change. Man, that was easy! Hardest part was probably pumping 3 quarts of oil with the hand pump into the rear differential. Big props to Ravenol for putting a handy spout on their bottles for the transfer case fluid. Now just waiting for our takeout Mexican with some margaritas! 🍸

Started on repairs to the spreader truck today. Belt removed, rear shaft and gearbox removed and spinner’s removed. I have one spinner box that needs to be inspected and it is being a real problem. Back to the fight tomorrow with it.

0D28EFB8-178A-4B24-B39E-5371C50F97B1.jpeg

F97E4B8B-30BA-4142-9CC4-62DAD64E6A9D.jpeg

381C687E-7BB5-47DE-A048-85435E625515.jpeg

EE38CA2D-2A6C-4295-AAC4-FD8D591F5DA1.jpeg

306BCEF4-4483-46D0-A2C7-16BB2231E5FF.jpeg

Back