What are you working on today?

Just finished last night. Im really happy with these brakes and rotors. After breaking in the rotors and pads its awesome and smooth going 80+ to zero in less than 5 seconds. My old brakes and rotor are factory OE. The old pad has seen better days and was removed due to cracks forming on the friction material which was the reason for the upgrade. The rotors are glazed but in good shape measuring 21.7mm in thickness.

I know a lotta people have talked to in person and on the internetdiscourage moving to drilled and slotted brakes for safety reason. So far these felt like a huge difference for my spirited driving habbits.
Hopefully they will last another 50 to 100k.

20240316_211024.jpg

20240316_233751.jpg

20240316_233818.jpg

20240316_233852.jpg

20240316_182921.jpg

20240314_220018.jpg

20240316_165111.jpg

Just finished last night. Im really happy with these brakes and rotors. After breaking in the rotors and pads its awesome and smooth going 80+ to zero in less than 5 seconds. My old brakes and rotor are factory OE. The old pad has seen better days and was removed due to cracks forming on the friction material which was the reason for the upgrade. The rotors are glazed but in good shape measuring 21.7mm in thickness.

I know a lotta people have talked to in person and on the internetdiscourage moving to drilled and slotted brakes for safety reason. So far these felt like a huge difference for my spirited driving habbits.
Hopefully they will last another 50 to 100k.

View attachment 208985

View attachment 208986

View attachment 208987

View attachment 208988

View attachment 208989

View attachment 208990

View attachment 208991
Powerstop slotted rotors are good stuff. I buy them not for the slots but because they're quality steel and don't warp like some cheaper rotors.

Installed Atlantic British receiver and trailer harness on '08 LR RR Sport. I really don't care for the shin-destroying design coupled with "What departure angle??" attitude, but I'm not cool and I don't have any Grey Poupon
20240317_131720.jpg

The welds on their receiver were what I've seen from the average AutoZone draw bar. Poor tie-in and either too cold or too fast:
20240317_092224.jpg

"So the best way to get something done, if you, if you hold near and dear to you that you like to be able to, anyway....." is shown here:
20240317_092254.jpg

Last edited:
I know a lotta people have talked to in person and on the internet discourage moving to drilled and slotted brakes for safety reason. So far these felt like a huge difference for my spirited driving habits.
There's nothing wrong with drilled and slotted rotors on a street car. They just don't do much more than look kinda cool and that's about it.

yesterday - went on a bike ride with a friend. Then gave the parent’s car a wash and a quick wax job. Used the new Griot’s Ceramic 3-in-1. Car still needs an aggressive correction for swirl marks and deep scratches but I’ll take what I can.

Not much today other than lot of oil changes. Prepped salt spreader with some Mobil grease and cleaned up plow truck bed and interior.

I put a new battery in my rider this morning. The Costo Interstate in it made it 5 1/2 years. I knew last fall it wasn't going to make it much longer. I threw the charger on it several times over the winter, but yesterday it just didn't have the grunt to start the mower even after being charged.

I got a new one from Walmart. I was able to find one with a sticker from 3/24, but I spotted several on the rack with tags from back in 2022!

Also lighting a burn pile after I get home tonight. Lots of branches from the winter and the remains of a tree that blew over to finish cleaning up.

'88 Cherokee: replace spark plugs and p/s pump. Used a new Maval pump from RA, although I know nothing about Maval.

When I dumped the reservoir I noticed some weird flakes in the fluid, so I cobbled together a way to flush a fresh quart of ATF thru the system with my hand pump

20240318_125539.jpg

The p/s pump is the belt tensioner and they sure managed to over-complicate the setup. This particular pump was only used in '88 and '89 IIRC, so I hope they improved the design. And the air box is a CF, too!

Just for reference, how many miles are on the one you have now. I have a starter ready to for when the one in my 2008 6.0 heads south.

Not sure since the starter I pulled out was a reman'd replacement. Truck has 192,000mi so this might its 3rd starter.

Yesterday I diagnosed a 2007 Toyota Sienna with an oil leak. Pipe that runs from the oil cooler to the engine block. Original part has rubber hoses connecting each end of the pipe. One of those has a pinhole in it. The replacement is solid metal end to end and I'll have it today. I also diagnosed a 2004 Mercedes E320 with a bad radiator and a bad cooling fan. Left side neck is hanging on by a thread, all the blades on the fan took flight leaving a stub on the fan hub. I'll try to get a picture of that when I get to fixing it.

Stripped down a 3.7 for machine work. This one spun 2 rod bearings, and the rest were very beat up. I am not a fan of reconditioned rods especially with the cost of 45$ for new ones each so going to get 6 new connecting rods. Mains in excellent condition. Crank will probably need to be cut .010” for rod journals and by the look of the cylinders going to need to be bored probably to 0.020 over. Cause seems to be run low on oil and run hard. Could also be the 24,000 hours of run time on it.

IMG_0308.jpeg

Yesterday I diagnosed a 2007 Toyota Sienna with an oil leak. Pipe that runs from the oil cooler to the engine block. Original part has rubber hoses connecting each end of the pipe. One of those has a pinhole in it. The replacement is solid metal end to end and I'll have it today. I also diagnosed a 2004 Mercedes E320 with a bad radiator and a bad cooling fan. Left side neck is hanging on by a thread, all the blades on the fan took flight leaving a stub on the fan hub. I'll try to get a picture of that when I get to fixing it.
I think he addresses that here at ~7:45?

'88 Cherokee: replace spark plugs and p/s pump. Used a new Maval pump from RA, although I know nothing about Maval.

When I dumped the reservoir I noticed some weird flakes in the fluid, so I cobbled together a way to flush a fresh quart of ATF thru the system with my hand pump

View attachment 209187

The p/s pump is the belt tensioner and they sure managed to over-complicate the setup. This particular pump was only used in '88 and '89 IIRC, so I hope they improved the design. And the air box is a CF, too!
Yeah the later 4.0L engines were different compared to the '87-'90.

Replaced the knock sensor on my avalanche. It was throwing a code. The rear one was all rust. Installed new AC Delco sensors, new standard harness, new mahle intake gasket, new felpro TB gasket.
IMG_2259.jpeg
IMG_2258.jpeg
IMG_2257.jpeg

53 yards of crushed granite delivered yesterday, the frame of a 5 ft custom wood scaffold is coming together. Also bought 800lbs of concrete bags for posts. I'm scared of heights, but this scaffold and the tractor will help with screwing in cross beams and roof panels.

1710893659037.jpg

1710893752930.jpg

53 yards of crushed granite delivered yesterday, the frame of a 5 ft custom wood scaffold is coming together. Also bought 800lbs of concrete bags for posts. I'm scared of heights, but this scaffold and the tractor will help with screwing in cross beams and roof panels.

View attachment 209312
Nice! I shoulda picked that up with a trailer yourself. :p :p

Back