What are the chances... 2 leaking calipers one after the other...

To those asking about pushing the piston back, the cardone one was a brand new (remanufactured) caliper, so I never touched the piston or pushed it back, obviously had no reason to do so... For the previous caliper, the promecanix one, when I pushed it back in, I used my brake caliper compression tool, looks like this

61obgHsz2TL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This one properly rotates the piston back while pushing it... not sure how else you're supposed to push a piston back... so when I say I tore the boot, who knows, maybe I tore the inner gasket too

Regarding the cardone caliper and the seal, thanks for the replies everyone, the gasket didn't look right to me either but I don't have that much experience of what gaskets should/shouldn't look like... I wanted to take the gasket apart, but figured it might be to much of a pain to do so since I am returning it for a full refund and wanted to bring it back in one piece (not like they'd ever check the inside of the caliper at the store anyways)... If I have more time to fiddle with it tomorrow, I may take the gasket apart and post a picture

I hope this nugeon one is better made... I don't expect amazing quality from aftermarket remans, I am well aware of the you get what you pay for, but this cardone caliper was an absolute joke, and more so, dangerous, which has me wondering how the hell they get away with selling probably tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands... I see these calipers at various shops I drive to for my second job all the time...

I will say this, lesson learned, hope the Nugeon one lasts and doesn't bite me again, and i'll be be buying quality calipers from now on, just like how I learned with wheel bearings (luckily that one was a cheap mistake and I never actually used the cheap bearing I bought)

To those asking about pushing the piston back, the cardone one was a brand new (remanufactured) caliper, so I never touched the piston or pushed it back, obviously had no reason to do so... For the previous caliper, the promecanix one, when I pushed it back in, I used my brake caliper compression tool, looks like this

View attachment 44417

This one properly rotates the piston back while pushing it... not sure how else you're supposed to push a piston back... so when I say I tore the boot, who knows, maybe I tore the inner gasket too

Regarding the cardone caliper and the seal, thanks for the replies everyone, the gasket didn't look right to me either but I don't have that much experience of what gaskets should/shouldn't look like... I wanted to take the gasket apart, but figured it might be to much of a pain to do so since I am returning it for a full refund and wanted to bring it back in one piece (not like they'd ever check the inside of the caliper at the store anyways)... If I have more time to fiddle with it tomorrow, I may take the gasket apart and post a picture

I hope this nugeon one is better made... I don't expect amazing quality from aftermarket remans, I am well aware of the you get what you pay for, but this cardone caliper was an absolute joke, and more so, dangerous, which has me wondering how the hell they get away with selling probably tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands... I see these calipers at various shops I drive to for my second job all the time...

I will say this, lesson learned, hope the Nugeon one lasts and doesn't bite me again, and i'll be be buying quality calipers from now on, just like how I learned with wheel bearings (luckily that one was a cheap mistake and I never actually used the cheap bearing I bought)
I have that same tool. It shouldn’t have hurt the caliper any unless the boot was already pulled out or something.

What's the difference between the 2-door and 4-door Calipers? :unsure:

Can you swap one for the other?
Good question... The only visible difference I can see from pictures is the coupe piston has a vertical and horizontal groove that makes a cross form, where as the seden only has a horizontal groove on it... I too am wondering if you could, but id rather not experiment at this point😅

Are the rotors the same for the two versions? Often the heavier car has larger brakes.
Yes they're the same, checking the honda parts catalogue, both coupe and sedan use the same part number

42510-S84-A50

Here's a schematic of the catalogue for the sedan and coupe, you could see 2 of the major differences in the calipers where I have circled in red

coupe

coupe.jpg

sedan

sedan.jpg

If the rotors are the same, then the pads would be too, so I have no idea why they would've made two different calipers...

All the internal parts are different, not just the piston. The pad guides and pad keeper spring are different. That probably means the bracket and slide pins are different.

Also it's not clear if the parking brake cable attaches the same way.

You'd really want to compare both of them including pads and bracket side by side before deciding they're similar enough to interchange.

All the internal parts are different, not just the piston. The pad guides and pad keeper spring are different. That probably means the bracket and slide pins are different.

Also it's not clear if the parking brake cable attaches the same way.

You'd really want to compare both of them including pads and bracket side by side before deciding they're similar enough to interchange.
Yes I know, I just pointed out the more obvious differences, which could be seen when looking at the caliper visually.. you would never see the internals without that diagram

I also posted it since the topic came up, I have absolutely zero intention of using coupe calipers on a sedan

Well, here's the inner seal... Looks normal to me without having reference to what an OEM seal should look like...

Attachments

• 20210207_113654.jpg
    20210207_113654.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210207_113737.jpg
    20210207_113737.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210207_113709.jpg
    20210207_113709.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210207_113622.jpg
    20210207_113622.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210207_113629.jpg
    20210207_113629.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 12
Well, I said the same then when it first occurred, but at the same time, when I pushed the piston back, it did squirt some brake fluid, hence why I believe it was my fault (I say boot was torn, but who knows, I could've somehow torn the inner piston gasket)

What could it possibly be other then a bad caliper? Fluid comes out the brake line fine, so what else would it be? The only thing that comes to mind is over pressurization in that one line on the RR, but I've never heard of that happening... What I have had happen on my former 03 golf tdi is complete caliper seizure, on a brand new caliper... This was caused by debris in the brake fluid and apperantly a clogged abs pump which was clogging one of the lines more then others, but in my case here, when I put the cardone caliper on, I made sure that the rotor moved freely after the caliper was installed and bled, so their was definitely no seizing going on... I guess I'll see tomorrow if the caliper is seized once I take it off. If you have any suggestions what else it could be, let me know
The boot is there to keep debris from building up on the piston as it moves out. It's not a seal. The Seal is behind the boot and fits in a machined recess in the caliper body.

Whatever it was is irrelevant at this point, this happened well over a year ago. The nugeon caliper held up just fine and the car has been long sold since

Back