What are some useful gauges to have?

- oil temp
- voltage

Oil temp because precious information, voltage just because it's easiest to install.
Amp meter? Way too much hassle, perhaps even risky.

These are great but I think you have to install a shunt on the positive terminal between the battery and harness. At least that's what it looked like for the digital gages I wanted to install on my car. The cheap digital kits (meter w/shunt) from Amazon looked like they would be the weak link in the system. If the shunt goes out then I'm without power and have to undergo roadside repairs.
Yes, you most likely need to install a shunt to retrofit an amp guage. It is not really a big deal with the different kits out there nowadays. Locating the mounting of the shunt could be challenging depending on the vehicle.

Yes, you most likely need to install a shunt to retrofit an amp guage. It is not really a big deal with the different kits out there nowadays. Locating the mounting of the shunt could be challenging depending on the vehicle.
In my case mounting it isn't the hard part, I just don't like adding a failure point between the battery and the rest of the electrical system.

A shunt is pretty dumb simple and low risk as far as reliability goes. Far better to do a shunt near the battery than route the big wires through the dash and back out like we all used to. I mean, factory BCMs now have shunts as part of the battery terminals…. Our 2018 f150 has one, as does the 2015 crv.

gauge selection for me depends on how you use the car. I can work with volts or amps. Both helpful, both inter-related. Trans temperature is nice, but if I were to do it again, I’d rather monitor the rear axle temperature. That’s more telling in my experience, because it has no additional cooling, while the transmission is actively cooled. Unless it’s a 41TE in a minivan, that gauge was flat out entertaining. Vac/boost, though it probably gets old after a while. I leave my truck on in acc mode for hours and run an inverter at times - I have an led volt readout for just that reason. I don’t race or run hard, so oil temp isn’t a thing for me. I do solidly suggest oil pressure, especially in a midlife car getting older. Good to have a feeling for its behavior. Dropping oil pressure often suggested to me when oil was aging and thinning out, old school OLM.

i remember 2 cars where I added my own tach.

Last edited:
- oil temp
- voltage

Oil temp because precious information, voltage just because it's easiest to install.
Amp meter? Way too much hassle, perhaps even risky.
So few people, it seems, recognize that you should wait 'til the oil temp is in a reasonable range before you start to not baby the car. My first car was a '72 Fiat 124 Sport Coupé, 1.6 litre. Like many Italian cars it seems oil pressure at idle, hot, can be fairly low. In the Fiat, whereas coolant temp got into the normal range when warming up, whereas idle oil pressure was still high at idle. Then, as time went on, hot idle oil pressure dropped... and then I knew I could spin it up with a measure of impunity 🙂.

In the Fiat, hot idle oil pressure was a bit of a surrogate for oil temp... at least to an extent.

Back