What are good thermostat brands?

Get the Beck-Arnley - it will be OEM in the box. They repackage parts, don't make anything. Every BA part I have gotten has been OEM...even in Toyotas.

My second choice would me Motorad.

Stant and Gates are living off their old reputation of quality which is NO longer the case.

Get the Beck-Arnley - it will be OEM in the box. They repackage parts, don't make anything. Every BA part I have gotten has been OEM...even in Toyotas.

My second choice would me Motorad.

Stant and Gates are living off their old reputation of quality which is NO longer the case.

Don't bet on that, I bought a BA thermostat elbow fully expecting a rebox OE VW part. instead it was a cheap Uro part that went into the bin.
Thread on Motorad.

From my personal experience I’ve seen Stant thermostats that were OEM GM parts, same with some Mopars.

And I’ve seen other thermostats that look OE but by visual inspection you can see slight differences in the welds and metal color. So I guess it just depends.

Last edited:
That's a good thread about "failsafe" thermostats. I've never used one, but one of my friends tried one or two. He found that they were fine through the winter, but failed open (and had to be replaced) come Spring, as soon as the temperatures got milder.

Mahle or Stant’s OE Exact line - I’d run the part number through Opticat Online to find the COO of the part.

If Aisin lists a T-stat for your car, that would be my first choice as it will be a repackaged Kuzeh or Nippon Thermostat. Both are OE suppliers to the Japanese.

I just swapped out the thermostat in my 2015 Ram this past weekend(along with both radiator hoses and the thermostat housing... the job experienced “creep” to be sure).

I put in a Stant from the “Premium” section at RockAuto. I haven’t had any issues with it. I looked it over before installation and it seemed very well made and sturdy. It opens where it should temperature-wise, and I feel comfortable with the change.

My original was ver likely put in by the factory 195,500 miles ago, so it earned its retirement. 😎

Don't bet on that, I bought a BA thermostat elbow fully expecting a rebox OE VW part. instead it was a cheap Uro part that went into the bin.
Thread on Motorad.

I Stand corrected on the BA then. I don't do near as much work as you do so I value and trust your opinion. Since they rebox, I guess the odds were just in my favor lol. I would have also refused the Uro brand.

If price isn't an issue, find a Mazda dealer who will ship you an OEM one. If RockAuto can ship you one, then why not a Mazda dealer?

Problem solved.
A lot of dealers won't take payment over the phone. Atleast my dodge dealer won't. They said too many people call the credit card company and they cancel the charge and they're out the money.

I used to have good luck with the superstats from stant. However, I haven’t had a tstat fail on me since.... 98? so I really don’t know if there’s as much of a market for replacements as there used to be.

I just did a coolant flush on my 91 Ford Taurus and previously the motorad thermostat at 195°f but it would open sooner than that the gauge would read cold while the car was driving and get up to the a in normal before the fan came on. I put a 197°f motorcraft in and stays dead in the middle now.

I use Stant and can't remember ever having a problem with one. Only time I ever had a problem with a replacement thermostat was when I bought one at AZ and they gave me an AZ brand. It opened too soon and the heat was never warm. I replaced it with a Stant and all was well.

Thread on Motorad.

Thank you-
Did it say "Uro" on the part itself? BA refused to tell me the manufacturer of an unmarked ignition switch I ordered except that it was made in Taiwan. Being that BA is now part of Standard, I was hoping it was at least made by them. I think knowing what you are buying is a fair question- not a gov. top secret.

Thread on Motorad.

Trav: have you tried SHAW brand stats? When I worked in AZ we found them to be the "go to" stat as they were high flow and extremely accurate. Not cheap but worth the money at the time.
Smoky

Thank you-
Did it say "Uro" on the part itself? BA refused to tell me the manufacturer of an unmarked ignition switch I ordered except that it was made in Taiwan. Being that BA is now part of Standard, I was hoping it was at least made by them. I think knowing what you are buying is a fair question- not a gov. top secret.
BA === Driv. Same parent as Wagner, Fel-Pro, Champion and Moog. And Carl Icahn pulls the strings there as well at Federal-Mogul and Pep Boys.

Back