What are good thermostat brands?

looking for recommendations for which brands makes good thermostats. I want to stay as close to OEM as possible cuz OEM is usually spot on however I dont live near a mazda dealership so will end up ordering from rockauto. engine is a 2006 mazda 2.3l which i believe is the same as the 2.3l duratec

here are my options

GATES 34046
MOTORAD 514185
FOUR SEASONS 85994
STANT 48728
BECK/ARNLEY 1430838
FACET 78750

any ideas on which is oem/closest to oem or superior to oem? thx

price isn't really an issue since they only differ by like $10-20 max so thats why i didnt inclue it.

thx!

Last edited:
I replaced my 14 year old oem Saab t-stat this summer with a Facet unit purchased from eeuro. I believe this model was produced in Italy. Works great.

Start, Gates, Motorad, Beck and Arnley, Facet, Four Seasons in that order. I know people that have used all of them. I prefer Stant or Gates myself. If you have a parts place near you go in and ask for a Walker those are great from my experience. The closest to your OEM would probably be Stant or Gates or Beck and Arnley because B&A rebrands lots of import vehicle parts under their name.

I would lean to OEM, though I rarely ever insist on that. They are very often MUCH beafier than the Gates/Motorad/Stant flimsy stuff.

I was doing a timing belt job on a lexus a few years ago and decided to change the thermostat since it was at ~240k miles. I bought a Stant I think. Once I pulled the OE thermostat, then looked at the new Stant, I just put the OE one back in and returned the Stant. I changed the thermostat later when I did a cooling system service, and was happy to pay the extra for the OE quality on such a crucial part. There was a BIG difference.

Maybe the OE one in your engine is flimsy, too, but I'd look at it first.

EDIT: ok, maybe not that big a difference here.

Here's the OE one for $41 sihpped:

Here's a good pic of the Motorad from Rock Auto, $26 delivered:

Last edited:
looking for recommendations for which brands makes good thermostats. I want to stay as close to OEM as possible cuz OEM is usually spot on however I dont live near a mazda dealership so will end up ordering from rockauto. engine is a 2006 mazda 2.3l which i believe is the same as the 2.3l duratec

here are my options

GATES 34046
MOTORAD 514185
FOUR SEASONS 85994
STANT 48728
BECK/ARNLEY 1430838
FACET 78750

any ideas on which is oem/closest to oem or superior to oem? thx

price isn't really an issue since they only differ by like $10-20 max so thats why i didnt inclue it.

thx!

100% OE, none on the list is worth much more than a P hole in the snow. Order it online.

thanks for all the help its a 2006 mazda 3 2.3l
ill ask mazda and or ford then, unless any of these are actualyl confirmed oem

Personally I’ve had really good luck from Stant and Gates it’s sad to hear other members have had bad experiences. Many of my vehicles have those brand of thermostats on it and they are doing fine and have been for years. The original thermostat on my 1989 Mazda B2200 just went out a few days ago and I’m guessing they don’t make the OEM anymore so I am going to go with a Walker or Stant or Gates.

Trav I think I have heard the same phenomena with serpentine belt too... Don't know it that is true. But I did go by the dealership to buy a OEM serpentine belt for my car.

Back