What am I missing with the listing of this home in Pueblo, CO for 7.9 million

Bottom Line -Anything west of the Mississippi in any desirable area is going to cost you. If you wish to live in the middle of no where New Mexico, Nevada, or Utah you can save a little money. The real estate appreciation train has left the station-and pulled in to the next one and it's not pretty if one didn't already have a ticket.

I used to live in Pueblo, as well as Colo Springs. Pueblo has its drawbacks, it's a mostly blue collar city (nothing wrong with that in and of itself) which partly explains the lower property values, but there's a fair bit of crime in certain areas-- I'd avoid those, but driving through neighborhoods, the bad areas should be easy to spot. Pueblo West is generally a decent area that keeps you away from crime ridden areas / center of the city-- but it's grown tremendously in the last 10-20 years and prices have followed.

Lots of smaller communities nearby where prices should be affordable (for Colorado) if you don't mind living a bit further from the city.

Not a snowball's chance in heck they're getting $7 mil for that house unless it's sitting on a huge chunk of land, which it isn't.

It was built on top of an inactive but still profitable gold mine.

1642898785478.jpg

I suppose that's a nice house. It's certainly big. If you have say $200 million net worth you might want to call it home.

Meanwhile it's the biggest house in the area (which is not good). And can you imagine the costs to furnish it and buy the window coverings. And the costs for yard work, cleaning, heating, taxes, etc. No wonder it's for sale.

Meanwhile we'll just scrimp along in the 2400 square foot house we can actually afford. You should be able to buy your house with one cheque - that's my rule and I'm sticking with it.

If that house was located in a nice neighborhood outside Denver, or one of the expensive mountain towns, I could see that price. In Pueblo, even between a golf course and the university, not so much.

The other issue with Pueblo, is that in the 2000ft drop in elevation from Colo Springs, the landscape changes from mixed arid prairie/grassland, basically to scrub desert (nothing but brown with a few specs of green in between) in the span of 40 miles. It also makes for hotter summers and colder low temps in winter (Pueblo gets less snow though). The mountains are also much further off in the distance (barely visible depending on where you are), so you don't get the dramatic Pikes Peak scenery effect that you do in Colo Springs. Probably another factor in lower property values versus the rest of the front range. But perfectly livable place, and a bargain compared to the rest of Colorado.

Last edited:
If that house was located in a nice neighborhood outside Denver, or one of the expensive mountain towns, I could see that price. In Pueblo, even between a golf course and the university, not so much.

The other issue with Pueblo, is that in the 2000ft drop in elevation from Colo Springs, the landscape changes from mixed arid prairie/grassland, basically to scrub desert (nothing but brown with a few specs of green in between) in the span of 40 miles. It also makes for hotter summers and colder low temps in winter (Pueblo gets less snow though). The mountains are also much further off in the distance (barely visible depending on where you are), so you don't get the dramatic Pikes Peak scenery effect that you do in Colo Springs. Probably another factor in lower property values versus the rest of the front range. But perfectly livable place, and a bargain compared to the rest of Colorado.
Great comments, thanks for taking the time to post.

Great comments, thanks for taking the time to post.
No problem, hope you don't view my comments about Pueblo negatively, there's a lot of good about it. #1 being traffic. A lot of the cities further north (Colo Springs especially) grew too fast for the infrastructure to develop with it. So now Colorado Springs is a city of ~500K+ with no interstate beltway, and no divided/limited access highway that takes you east to west across the city (or north to south for that matter on the east side of town). Denver and cities further north have resorted to toll roads. In Pueblo you still get all the things that make Colorado special, like all the public land / national forest nearby, mountains within an easy driving distance. A few nice lakes/reservoirs within 1-3 hours driving. If you ever get bored there (assuming you reasonably like the outdoors), it's your own fault. Colo Spgs is only 45 minutes away if you want something Pueblo doesn't offer. I'll quit clogging up the thread now!

Did you see the comps ? or the birds eye view of the other homes . Maybe that's why IDK

AddressEstimateBedBathSq FtLot (sq ft)
This Home: 1615 Augusta Pl, Pueblo, CO, 81001$7,900,0005101229037897
1628 Augusta Ct, Pueblo, CO, 81001$746,80023432816793
1612 Augusta Ct, Pueblo, CO, 81001$1,250,20025743924003
3843 Augusta Ln, Pueblo, CO, 81001$762,90023502311347
3833 Augusta Ln, Pueblo, CO, 81001$1,059,20035574410999
1629 Augusta Ct, Pueblo, CO, 81001$1,412,90048906032526

Veterans & Military Benefits​

Sponsored bySponsored by VU
If you look at the aerial view of the house vs the comps, I'm thinking it's more than 12k square feet vs 9k for the nearest comp. Ditto for the lot it's on. It doesn't look like the lot is only 20% bigger.

I do believe it's overpriced. But what are the dates on the comps as well? I.E. if the 1629 August Ct last changed hands in 2009, the number is almost meaningless today.

It will sell for what the market will bear. Will it be 7.9 million? Probably not. If it went up for that before and didn't sell, not sure why folks think it will now. As others have said, it's tough being the most largest, most expensive home in the neighborhood.

Payments only $32k/month at 7.9 million, LOL.

The description certainly makes it sound impressive:

"This is without question one of finest homes in Colorado! Built on an entire cul-de-sac of 6 lots, gated for privacy and safety in the exclusive Enclave Development of Walking Stick, the owners had an unlimited budget and exceeded it! The Kitchen was featured in Colorado Homes Sept/Oct issue in 2012, described by designer Nabeel Faizi of William Ohs as a Tuscan Retreat! It features 2 seven-foot islands, built-in Sub Zero refrigerator, Viking appliances and a French La Cornue gas range. The master bedroom suite includes male and female full bathrooms and huge walk-in closets. This amazing home includes 5 bedroom suites, 5 walk-in closets, formal dining room, breakfast nook, formal living room, gathering room, sitting room, family room, 2nd kitchen on lower level, 2 butler pantries, 2 offices, 3 jetted tubs, 2 steam baths, a large exercise room with walk-in hot tub, 2 automatic coffee makers, 7 patios, a large wine cellar and an elevator! A short list of upgrades boasts Michael Angelo marble floors, custom woodwork, doors, ironwork and stonework, back-lit onyx counter top, custom faux painting, built in display cabinets, custom lighting & a one-of-a kind stained glass window. Outside is tile roofing imported from Italy, tiled patios & driveway and a grand balcony off the master suite. The heated garage is finished & has extra storage. Home is across the street from Walking Stick Golf Course, voted the 3rd best public course in CO and minutes from Colorado's top reservoir."

The only other thing I know about Pueblo is that that is where a lot of free government publications come from. Years ago they used to tell you to write to Pueblo for those publications.

I suppose that's a nice house. It's certainly big. If you have say $200 million net worth you might want to call it home.

Meanwhile it's the biggest house in the area (which is not good). And can you imagine the costs to furnish it and buy the window coverings. And the costs for yard work, cleaning, heating, taxes, etc. No wonder it's for sale.

Meanwhile we'll just scrimp along in the 2400 square foot house we can actually afford. You should be able to buy your house with one cheque - that's my rule and I'm sticking with it.
What check would that be?

Like I tell my wife, if a place has expensive real estate or rents there is one reason why. People want to be there. People may laugh, mock or pick apart high cost of living areas, but at the end of the day its expensive because enough people think its worth it, therefore it is.

Honestly the only reason I am where I am right now is I cannot afford to move somewhere better for the money, If I could I would in a heartbeat and never look back. One of those places would be Colorado!

I remember visiting Colorado almost 20 years ago and was enchanted by it. We even looked at some homes, homes we couldn't afford and this was in an affordable part of Colorado at the time.

Of course im sure the houses we looked at are worth double or more now!
Probably find something in Craig easy enough with the power plant and mines shutting down. Of course it will still have the frame and axles still attached that it rolled into town on.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
What check would that be?
A large one. Though to be more precise there would be 2 large cheques. There is one for the deposit and one for the closing costs.

I was the general contractor for our first house while working 70 - 90 hour weeks. It was exhausting but we got it done. And paid that mortgage off after 5 years. Since then we've traded up a number of times (all associated with career moves) and have always paid the difference in cash. Haven't had a mortgage payment for the last 4 houses.

We currently live in a very nice (but modest by many people's standards) 2400 square foot house on 1/2 acre. As I said, that's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

Back