What agency oversees the release of vehicle titles?

Sorry for typo in title. I paid my my daughters VW off as I want to put in her name as she has purchased her own house. I have spoken to VW and they dont know when they will get the title to me as they say they are having vending issues. They are sending me a lien release to sell the car. Is this a thing with titles that there is a system wide problem or is it just VW. What government agency oversees this

I paid my my daighters VW off as I want to put in her name as she has purchased her own house. I have spoken to VW and they dont know when they will get the title to me as they say they are having vending issues. They are sending me a lien release to sell the car. Is this a thing with titles that there is a system wide problem or is it just VW. What government agency oversees this
The governmental regulator of VW finance is the agency you would contact to push VW to release the title in a timely manner. Almost all financial institutions are under numerous state and federal regulators. Decide which stat and/ or federal regulator you want to contact to represent your concern.

Here are a few of the many:
FDIC logo
NCUA logo
OCC_logo_sml.fw.png
CFPB logo

The answer depends on what state you are in. Individual state laws vary in relation to who holds the title when a lien (loan) is present, and have differing timeframes for responding and releasing paperwork, etc... Being blunt, this is not consistent across all 50 states...

Here is one answer for New Jersey (jerry insurance--getjerry.com). Can't vouch for the correctness. I can see this working if NJ has an electronic title system.

"When you pay off your car loan, you own the vehicle outright. Once you've got an official lien release letter from your lender, you can take it to the DMV to get the car's legal title transferred to you."

Unless you or someone bought the vehicle from the MIL or a Federal Agency then the Feds have nothing to do with this and issuing a title for it should be purely a state function. That said, the state might be waiting for a lender (if there is one) to release the lien on the title.

Call your local state representative, they should be able to tell you what state agency issues Titles and they may be able push getting a new one issued along a little faster.

Here is one answer for New Jersey (jerry insurance--getjerry.com). Can't vouch for the correctness. I can see this working if NJ has an electronic title system.

"When you pay off your car loan, you own the vehicle outright. Once you've got an official lien release letter from your lender, you can take it to the DMV to get the car's legal title transferred to you."

Florida operates different, or they did the last time that I financed a vehicle. Here the lender has to notify the state directly that the lien has been satisfied. The owner plays no role in that and obviously the state does it that way to help prevent fraud.

Sorry for typo in title. I paid my my daughters VW off as I want to put in her name as she has purchased her own house. I have spoken to VW and they dont know when they will get the title to me as they say they are having vending issues. They are sending me a lien release to sell the car. Is this a thing with titles that there is a system wide problem or is it just VW. What government agency oversees this
A lien release will be sent to the appropriate state agency who will then mail you the title on their own or once you request it. In your state it is the NJ MVC.

This is one advantage of financing with a local bank or Credit Union. Here, once the lien is satisfied... they pull the paper title out of your file, an officer with the bank or CU stamps it with a rubber stamp and then signs it, and hands the title over to you.

It is now your vehicle, and you can take the title and do whatever you want. With an appointment, it takes about 15 minutes or less.

I've bought vehicles in other states, where the transfer of the title also has be verified and signed/stamped by a Notary.

The last vehicle that I financed was through a bank in Orlando but their office that handled the lien releases was in Jacksonville! Unless you're dealing with a very small bank, or CU, that has only one office, I doubt that you're going to be able to simply go into their office and have them hand you a release of lien. In my case, they mailed me a copy of that but in Florida the lender still had/has to notify the state DMV directly and that is the official release as far as the state is concerned. I suspect that here, if the lender mailed you the form but then didn't notify DMV that you would probably have to go to court and show the form and have the court order the DMV to release the title to you. Or alternately, ask the court to order the lender (if they're still in business) to send a release of lien to the state DMV. A good lawyer would ask for both in order to make sure that it got done.

How long has it been since pay-off? Not uncommon for getting a title in hand to take a few months in my experience and that was even without a lien.

Anytime that's happened here (in Michigan) that financial institution simply mailed a letter that informed they were releasing the lien, loan paid.. took it to the secretary of state (michigan's DMV) and they issued a new title. Simple..

I paid my prius off early... so early my state hadn't even printed my title, nor sent it to Toyota Financial.

This led to confusion and delay.

I filed a complaint with the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. The law requires bankers to respond within 14? days. On the 14th day I got a hugely apologetic letter from Toyota. The day after, they overnight-Fedexed me my paper title, and a $100 visa gift card for my trouble.

The CFPB requires you to work in good faith with your lender first. So, send them a letter that reads "give me what is mine", then after a delay of your choosing, sic the CFPB on them.

Any state can reprint a duplicate title. Maybe this will get VW to send the release in and apply for a dup title in your name only. Number of ways out of this mess, but the CFPB will help convince them to find one.

"Some" states, IDK about NJ, will send the title with a lien to the car registrant. It will be aggressively marked about being invalid without a lien release. Doesn't sound like your scene.

Back