What about these louvers?

Louver lovers and haters what do you think about the louvers on this Champ XL? All the louvers near the top are pressed closed. I'm interested in any feedback you have.
20220830_000238~3.jpg
20220830_000238~2.jpg

This has been discussed before, if you are not happy with it, then find an oil filter that has holes instead of Louvers!

Reactions: hrv
If it's just the top row (which seems to be the case) and the others look open like the louvers below that top row (like in red circle), then I'd say nothing to worry about. The machine just didn't do the row at the end as well.

Capture+_2022-08-29-23-26-28-1.png

There are just as many openings facing the opposite direction when you look down these louvered tubes, you're only seeing half of them. I had a Mazda value line filter I would have sworn none of the louvers were open. I cut the filter open, pulled the tube out, sealed one end, and was able to breathe through it no problem like it wasnt even there. I gave up worrying about louvers at that point. Add up the area of the louvered openings and compare it to the feed and drain holes in the filter base on the engine and I'd bet the filter has way more flow capacity than those holes.

I have yet to see a louvered filter where the top row is open.

There are also opposing rows of louvers that are going to aid in flow. As long as the other rows are sufficiently open as shown in this filter, you're good to go.

Thanks everyone. I made pawn this one off to my Kawasaki mower. It's a 7317 (Honda) size. I really like everything about the filter except these louvers. That's what happens when you buy a filter online sight unseen.

There are just as many openings facing the opposite direction when you look down these louvered tubes, you're only seeing half of them. I had a Mazda value line filter I would have sworn none of the louvers were open. I cut the filter open, pulled the tube out, sealed one end, and was able to breathe through it no problem like it wasnt even there. I gave up worrying about louvers at that point. Add up the area of the louvered openings and compare it to the feed and drain holes in the filter base on the engine and I'd bet the filter has way more flow capacity than those holes.
Yes, the louvers also face the other direction, but if the ones facing the filter base are closed up, you can bet the ones facing the other way are the same.

Louvers are tricky, because someone has to base their visual inspection on if they are a "go" or "no go". The first ones below would obviously be a "no go". These are two filters that were the same manufacturer and model, so goes to show how "all over the map" louvers can be. Louvers are tricky, holes or eCores center tubes are not.

When someone says their engine in making noise after an an oil and filter change, I often wonder if the oil filter has louvers, and are those louvers closed up or wide open?

1661882000102.jpeg

1661882173509.jpeg

Last edited:
Nube here. Looked at 8 Wix filters I have on hand. None are as bad as the OP pics, however some filters the louvers seem quite a bit bigger and more open than on a couple of the other filters. Isn't just the top row - its pretty consistent within a single filter. I would say the one set of filters have louvers that are maybe 30% more open than the other ones - my estimate. There all fully open.

Tried to take a pic but all I get is glare.

When would you say louvers are not big enough?

Interesting.

Can this be done on purpose to equalize flow/pressure to all of the media???

Back