What a remarkable lack of intelligence

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a wee grasshopper, I used to watch my Dad rebuild 50's and 60's era engines. These engines were run out in as little as 50K miles. The bearings were worn, cranks scored, rings stuck and broken, and the cylinders always needed boring. This is all in engines with well under 100K miles, mind you, and they all had regular maintenence. It's just that the old filters and oils were not as good as what we have today.

I think most had filter cannisters mounted on the top of the engine, and I'm sure the filter media didn't work very well. My point is, great strides are being made in lubrication and filtration today. I think just about any of todays filters will remove the particles that cause engine wear, and an oil change will remove the rest.....

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:

Similar wear results can obtain from a variety of filters. This can mean that the oils are performing similarly in conjunction with the performance of the filters; or, the oils are performing similarly regardless of the performance of the filters; or, the filters are performing similarly regardless of the performance of the oils.

But won't this prove (or disprove) your point? If multiple analyses on the same engine using the same oil under the same conditions provide similar results when using different oil filters, doesn't that tell you what you want to know? That it really won't matter which filter you choose? Or is there more to your quest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back