What a difference a spark plug makes!

This isn’t an automotive application. Far simpler design of a knockoff Honda engine.

What is the part number of the NGK plug you are using now? Was the old plug Torch F6TC?

As some may recall, my old Robin Subaru inverter generator started on fire, so I got an HF Predator 3500 inverter. I was at about 20 hours, so I decided to do a break in oil change and spark plug exchange. The change from the HF “Torch” plug to an NGK iridium is a recommended upgrade.

The generator is quiet, but not low pollution. I can smell it much more than my 1700W robin or 1000W Honda, even when just idling. It also didnt idle perfect. Not bad, not troublesome, just not perfect.

All of that has changed with the NGK, idle sounds and smells much changed. The old plug didn’t look bad, the new one is just much better.

I have a similar application that has Torch F6TC and looking for spares/replacements. Don't want to have to go out during the middle of a job to find a new plug.

What is the part number of the NGK plug you are using now? Was the old plug Torch F6TC?

NGK 4055, which is also their BPR7EIX.

I don’t have the plug handy, but the OM says it’s the Torch F7RTC.

Maybe generators are different but i ran some tests and compared an ngk plug vs an E3 and i consistently get more mowing time with the E3 plug.

The Champion 3500 watt continuous ( 4,000 peak ) wouldn't start . Checked original plug and looked to be fouled with oil . Replaced it with the NGK BR7ES and runs like new . Plan to check it . Also cleaned the spark arrestor with a stiff plastic bristled toilet brush . ;)

Maybe generators are different but i ran some tests and compared an ngk plug vs an E3 and i consistently get more mowing time with the E3 plug.

Yeah I'm thinking I used slightly less gas with the E3 in my lawn tractor before I switched to NGK but not 💯 sure.

What part # NGK plug did you use and what was the Torch #? I want to change mine too

My parent’s neighbor has a Subaru-powered pressure washer that too came with a Torch plug. I replaced it with an NGK BR7HS. Seems to run better now.

another Chonda engine also got the NGK treatment with a BPR6ES. I’ll use NGK, Denso or what came as OEM(Bosch or Motorcraft/Autolite).

What part # NGK plug did you use and what was the Torch #? I want to change mine too
If your application is a Predator 3500 inverter generator, the factory plug was F7RTC which cross references to NGK BPR7ES (copper) or BPR7EIX (Iridium.)

I have both a Champion 3500 Watt open frame generator with 196 cc Chonda and an Ariens Deluxe snowblower with 254 cc LCT. Both of these were supplied with Torch F6RTC which cross reference to NGK BPR6ES (copper) or BPR6EIX (Iridium.) I suppose the enclosed nature of the Predator inverter generator calls for a cooler plug.

I've stated this elsewhere on these forums: two of three Torch plugs performed well for the limited time they were used (20-40 hours.) The one in the snowblower was trouble from the get go. It's an entirely different machine with the NGK Iridium plug. Note that if you go to Lowe's for a replacement plug for Ariens, what you will get is an Ariens branded Torch plug. I worked four moths in the OPE department at Lowe's this spring and got more than a few curious looks when recommending the Honda branded NGK plugs over the other OEM plugs (usually B&S branded Champions.) Never did anyone come back and tell me that that was a bad call.

Last edited:
If your application is a Predator 3500 inverter generator, the factory plug was F7RTC which cross references to NGK BPR7ES (copper) or BPR7EIX (Iridium.)

I have both a Champion 3500 Watt open frame generator with 196 cc Chonda and an Ariens Deluxe snowblower with 254 cc LCT. Both of these were supplied with Torch F6RTC which cross reference to NGK BPR6ES (copper) or BPR6EIX (Iridium.) I suppose the enclosed nature of the Predator inverter generator calls for a cooler plug.

I've stated this elsewhere on these forums: two of three Torch plugs performed well for the limited time they were used (20-40 hours.) The one in the snowblower was trouble from the get go. It's an entirely different machine with the NGK Iridium plug. Note that if you go to Lowe's for a replacement plug for Ariens, what you will get is an Ariens branded Torch plug. I worked four moths in the OPE department at Lowe's this spring and got more than a few curious looks when recommending the Honda branded NGK plugs over the other OEM plugs (usually B&S branded Champions.) Never did anyone come back and tell me that that was a bad call.

Thank you for your time and excellent feedback. I wonder why Ariens would source such an inferior plug and put their name on it? I am grabbing an NGK this weekend. I am on the original plug on my generator but it only has maybe 20 hrs. I just remember all the issues my son had with his chinese dirt bikes and ATV spark plugs before cross referencing to a champion.

You mean like this, I work at Lowe's.

ariens torch plug.jpg

Back