What $350k gets you for a single-family house in Douglas, AZ (Cochise County)

Below is a link to a home just hitting the market in Douglas, AZ. Douglas is a very distressed town that is located on the Mexico border. Of note, Douglas is in Cochise County. That is worth mentioning as from 2010-2020, the ONLY county to have a population loss in Arizona was Cochise. Very little opportunity for a decent paying private industry job in Douglas. Little to no shopping, entertainment, etc. Cochise county is on the rise with Sierra Vista and all-around Ft Huachuca doing blockbuster in positive real estate values.

I find the price interesting as it seems pretty high for this one town. Zillow has said Douglas, AZ homes rose about nine percent in selling price the past year, and almost 20 percent in the prior year. Like Florida, people want "in" Arizona and may be willing to pay prices that seem a mismatch. Or maybe the buyers of homes in Douglas are onto something...... My gut says homes in Douglas, AZ may be at risk of not being "sellable" in five years or so. But just a guess on my part.

No thanks,
115 year old 2200 sq ft home for $350,000 ???
Doesnt appeal to me

Reactions: GON
On edit on GON'S post about Midway being a "place to die"

-It's 27 miles south (probably about a 40 minute drive through a beautiful canyon) to Provo, Utah where there are MANY fine Arts and Music performances put on at the University there (very inexpensive)-not to mention the football stadium. And again-more restaurants and shopping.
I have been to many performances at the university.

Sometimes I question if we know we are at a place for a relatively short time if we really take the time to seek out what the surrounding area has to offer.

On edit on GON'S post about Midway being a "place to die"

-It's 27 miles south (probably about a 40 minute drive through a beautiful canyon) to Provo, Utah where there are MANY fine Arts and Music performances put on at the University there (very inexpensive)-not to mention the football stadium. And again-more restaurants and shopping.
I have been to many performances at the university.

Sometimes I question if we know we are at a place for a relatively short time if we really take the time to seek out what the surrounding area has to offer.

Isn’t Sundance nearby? I have heard it’s a really nice spot. The Film Festival of course.

Isn’t Sundance nearby? I have heard it’s a really nice spot. The Film Festival of course.
Yes-Sundance is very close. The Sundance Film Festival takes place at several locations, including Park City. It's a "very hot" ticket. Many celebrities mull around Park City during that time. My wife and I have been up to the Egyptian Theater in Park City as well. Performances have included Bill Medley (Righteous Brothers) Iron Butterfly, Judy Collins, a tribute to The Platters and several others. My wife are retired and we just returned from a two week trailer trip, we have ridden our pedal assist ebikes all over the West, and we keep very busy.

I don't get the "waiting to die thing".

like the earlier pejorative (was it)... don't wanna live "in New Jersey" done by some1 who has not really experienced the place they speak of, nota full participant of that area?
"...question if we know we are at a place for a relatively short time if we really take the time to seek out..."
or even if never visited. One usually moves to an area they enjoy. Research needs done tho (week long visits during different seasons, etc). The "sprawl" continues. Those who leave the Left and Right Coast (other density) bring it. They bring ready made solutions (that didn't wrk where they were) too: mixed use bldgs (apts above, ground fl businesses), 'village center' development (infill, then higher or 'stacking'), Chap 40B, traffic 'round-a-bouts', etc. "You bring yourself with you", "every where U go there U are." invaders in 'vacation spots' abandoning the megalopolis for change or due to job transfer (corporations rule). Sorry, I am not hopeful. The 'waiting to die' might be from this too. They arrive, not to be part of the community but to stay inside (ac 'summer' / hi heat use if cooler climate), isolating, plenty screen time hrs. Thus more fossil fuels creating more of the same, less: baseball coachin, town board participation, non-profit fund rasing, church attendance, school bd participation, etc.

like the earlier pejorative (was it)... don't wanna live "in New Jersey" done by some1 who has not really experienced the place they speak of, nota full participant of that area?
"...question if we know we are at a place for a relatively short time if we really take the time to seek out..."
or even if never visited. One usually moves to an area they enjoy. Research needs done tho (week long visits during different seasons, etc). The "sprawl" continues. Those who leave the Left and Right Coast (other density) bring it. They bring ready made solutions (that didn't wrk where they were) too: mixed use bldgs (apts above, ground fl businesses), 'village center' development (infill, then higher or 'stacking'), Chap 40B, traffic 'round-a-bouts', etc. "You bring yourself with you", "every where U go there U are." invaders in 'vacation spots' abandoning the megalopolis for change or due to job transfer (corporations rule). Sorry, I am not hopeful. The 'waiting to die' might be from this too. They arrive, not to be part of the community but to stay inside (ac 'summer' / hi heat use if cooler climate), isolating, plenty screen time hrs. Thus more fossil fuels creating more of the same, less: baseball coachin, town board participation, non-profit fund rasing, church attendance, school bd participation, etc.
I don't disagree. The OP in this case moves around the country every two to three years or so as mandated by his company. Therefore-I don't know how much of a personal stake he puts in to a community in which he resides. His post would indicate there were many opportunities (cultural, dining, recreation, etc.) in the greater Midway, Utah area he didn't take advantage of.

Last edited:
""But not sure about the NE dig."" No dig intended- just observations.

Observations suggest part of the population want out of certain parts of the Northeast and Upper Midwest. When I lived in Columbia, SC, and Midway, UT I observed this on a frequent basis. When I lived in the Northeast and Upper Midwest, I did not see this trend- ever. Midway, UT is an outstanding example. Beautifull terrain, quaint town, but offered nothing long term to its somewhat older residents. Near impossible to have an enjoyable meal, and if you did you typically had to wait, and pay a premium. Midway was just a place to sit and wait to die. One can buy roof racks for their SUV, but after a handful of trips to the trails, many older folks with visions of hiking the mountain trails every day became just that- a vision.

Yet Midway prices of single-family homes doubled from 2018 through 2021. Doubled. It was primarily residents of California migrating to Midway, but really- for what? The southern California traffic was already starting to congest the roads in and around Midway when we left. Seems people just want out of certain areas and are possibly "overpaying" for areas that offer very little except they are West, Southwest, or South. Time will tell.
Human migrates wherever opportunities open up, like, since ice age.

What you think might be "overpaying" might not be once work from home becomes a possibility, and the location they want to move to are nicer than the alternatives (cheaper, better climate, lower density, etc).

I'm sure you'd find historical documents that said California was a pretty dangerous and hazardous place a couple hundred years ago.

Human migrates wherever opportunities open up, like, since ice age.

What you think might be "overpaying" might not be once work from home becomes a possibility, and the location they want to move to are nicer than the alternatives (cheaper, better climate, lower density, etc).

I'm sure you'd find historical documents that said California was a pretty dangerous and hazardous place a couple hundred years ago.

You have to move where there’s opportunities.

Humpty Dumpty, Nebraska is not a popular place to have a career, good school for kids, housing, etc…..

The key to living in Az is being at altitude. I’m in Bisbee so I’m at 5000 feet. I just love it here, single digit humidity 80% of the time is right up my alley. Property taxes are very low compared what I was paying for my old house in Walden on Lake Houston. This is the hot time of the year so I turn the A/C on around noon and cut it off after sun down. I looked at Sierra Vista but it’s hotter than Bisbee, like 8 degrees hotter - I drive there once a week to get groceries and the cars outside temp gauge don’t lie. Last years property taxes and insurance was $2600. So far the insurance stayed the same. In October I’ll find out what the property taxes do. I’m expecting it to go up; my next door neighbor who pays her taxes on the half year said it went up about 20 bucks on her last payment.
The air is clean here and because the population is sparse so is traffic.
I’m not going anywhere….

Reactions: GON
The key to living in Az is being at altitude. I’m in Bisbee so I’m at 5000 feet. I just love it here, single digit humidity 80% of the time is right up my alley. Property taxes are very low compared what I was paying for my old house in Walden on Lake Houston. This is the hot time of the year so I turn the A/C on around noon and cut it off after sun down. I looked at Sierra Vista but it’s hotter than Bisbee, like 8 degrees hotter - I drive there once a week to get groceries and the cars outside temp gauge don’t lie. Last years property taxes and insurance was $2600. So far the insurance stayed the same. In October I’ll find out what the property taxes do. I’m expecting it to go up; my next door neighbor who pays her taxes on the half year said it went up about 20 bucks on her last payment.
The air is clean here and because the population is sparse so is traffic.
I’m not going anywhere….
Bisbee is a quaint town. A little "too small" for me. Most who grow up there leave-at least that's my understanding.

most in merica move every 7 yrs (if white race) trading up and building equity in housing. At retirement there's new choices. Kids 'flew da coop" and couple is @ a new place (again) they have not had since early marriage. Some "go to AZ." (the islands of the NW, etc). So much so you can look at Tucson, Phoenix, etc over the last 40 yrs. PA may have as hi a % (or higher) than Fla of those who could not move from the former to the latter due to economics/the financials...

Last edited:
Back