What $350k gets you for a single-family house in Douglas, AZ (Cochise County)

Every single homeowner in Arizona made money over the past five years. Some homeowners in parts of the upper Midwest and Northeast have not seen those favorable results.

Only if they sold. And that may change in the near future, real estate is volatile here. The new house we bought 4 years ago has appreciated an obscene amount. Would like to cash out but we're not gamblers.

Friend mentioned above retired from Flagstaff and moved to Sierra Vista, Douglas is a hard no for them and they're from there.

Only if they sold. And that may change in the near future, real estate is volatile here. The new house we bought 4 years ago has appreciated an obscene amount. Would like to cash out but we're not gamblers.

Friend mentioned above retired from Flagstaff and moved to Sierra Vista, Douglas is a hard no for them and they're from there.
Yep-it's all paper gain unless you sell......or pull money out.

That house would be $800K to $1M here.
& that's the answ to OP's Q.
Ppl wanna go there (not even go outside, just house bound) to retire and have some $ left over frm their current house's sale?
A restaurant now'n then, lotta screen time, may B a pool? Shorter drive to the sites (GC, 4 corners, etc) then their now location?

Yep-it's all paper gain unless you sell......or pull money out.
My friend and I always have fun talking about how our property is going up in value. Reality then sets in when we realize it will be worth what is worth when we sell it..

Reactions: CKN
My friend and I always have fun talking about how our property is going up in value. Reality then sets in when we realize it will be worth what is worth when we sell it..
That's a great comment!

This home in Douglas, AZ listed yesterday, $690,000.

The only people I see paying 690k for this home are a uniformed buyer from the Upper Midwest or North East that just "have to buy in Arizona", or a member of a criminal enterprise/ cartel....

The only people I see paying 690k for this home are a uniformed buyer from the Upper Midwest or North East that just "have to buy in Arizona", or a member of a criminal enterprise/ cartel....

People who have half that house in places like CA, Seattle, etc that's worth the same amount would sell their place and buy that one, thinking it's a "good deal". It's all relative. In my area, people list their house for more than it's probably worth, then get 6 buyers bidding higher and it ends up selling in a week for $25K-$30K higher than it was listed at. People in CA are buying houses and moving to ID like crazy, and it's causing the house prices there to skyrocket because they will pay way more than the house is probably worth ... and it just drives the housing market up there. People are nuts buying houses. And once the crazy buying gets rolling it's hard to stop it unless something drastic happens in the economy or housing market.

Last edited:
1,500 mi is alot different than 500, (for these folk) close to 3K for others (of same type folk just different direction)...
Y U move there?
/OR/
life long resident?

Nation hasa housing (rent or own) shortage (= folks paying over 1/3 their income for housing. Current deffinition - Now remember... 40 yrs ago the deff was 1/4). Wages R outta wack w/product prices today'n we even have most families where BOTH members of the couple wrk.

Somebody who is plucking down almost $700,000 is "uniformed". Yea-that's a pretty presumptuous statement.

You are underestimating how many rich people are in each neighborhood. Some rich local business owners may build their McMansion in a good part of a poor city to be close to their businesses. Nobody wants to commute far.

2 acre lot. Plant dragonfruit trees with irrigation. Enjoy the cement pond while the dragonfruit brings in the monthly mortgage payment.

1,500 mi is alot different than 500, (for these folk) close to 3K for others (of same type folk just different direction)...
Y U move there?
/OR/
life long resident?

Nation hasa housing (rent or own) shortage (= folks paying over 1/3 their income for housing. Current deffinition - Now remember... 40 yrs ago the deff was 1/4). Wages R outta wack w/product prices today'n we even have most families where BOTH members of the couple wrk.

Sorry I don't understand your spelling. I've lived 3 hours from the Grand Canyon for 17 years and have been there twice. Been to 4 corners once. Tourist attractions aren't a good reason to move somewhere.

No way would this northeastern resident be caught dead there. Hot all the time? AC or die? Crime? Drugs?

What exactly are people in the NE with high prices and high taxes escaping exactly when they need to pay obnoxious prices in AZ to be hot and not near water? I just don’t get it.

I do get it that there are some beautiful places, some folks like that kind of climate, etc. But not sure about the NE dig.

Reactions: GON
"...Tourist attractions R nota good reason to move somewhere..."
no (not 4 U or me but it IS for some), but many want to live where other;s vacation (or near it).
Then again, some want to buy a home cheeper than their current for freeing up some cash to live on. This can bring one to Xxxxtown, Az. (from the Left or Right Coast or MI, or... or...)

My family moved there due to the Air force (& Montana & Germany & MD - in reverse order) due to posting them @ a different job there.

NJ might B too crowed for some, living in a particular climate accustoms U to that climate so U don't object to it like a visitor might. Fla is quite hot'n humid 4 me but I have friends that work labor jobs there year round...

Last edited:
No way would this northeastern resident be caught dead there. Hot all the time? AC or die? Crime? Drugs?

What exactly are people in the NE with high prices and high taxes escaping exactly when they need to pay obnoxious prices in AZ to be hot and not near water? I just don’t get it.

I do get it that there are some beautiful places, some folks like that kind of climate, etc. But not sure about the NE dig.
""But not sure about the NE dig."" No dig intended- just observations.

Observations suggest part of the population want out of certain parts of the Northeast and Upper Midwest. When I lived in Columbia, SC, and Midway, UT I observed this on a frequent basis. When I lived in the Northeast and Upper Midwest, I did not see this trend- ever. Midway, UT is an outstanding example. Beautifull terrain, quaint town, but offered nothing long term to its somewhat older residents. Near impossible to have an enjoyable meal, and if you did you typically had to wait, and pay a premium. Midway was just a place to sit and wait to die. One can buy roof racks for their SUV, but after a handful of trips to the trails, many older folks with visions of hiking the mountain trails every day became just that- a vision.

Yet Midway prices of single-family homes doubled from 2018 through 2021. Doubled. It was primarily residents of California migrating to Midway, but really- for what? The southern California traffic was already starting to congest the roads in and around Midway when we left. Seems people just want out of certain areas and are possibly "overpaying" for areas that offer very little except they are West, Southwest, or South. Time will tell.

""But not sure about the NE dig."" No dig intended- just observations.

Observations suggest part of the population want out of certain parts of the Northeast and Upper Midwest. When I lived in Columbia, SC, and Midway, UT I observed this on a frequent basis. When I lived in the Northeast and Upper Midwest, I did not see this trend- ever. Midway, UT is an outstanding example. Beautifull terrain, quaint town, but offered nothing long term to its somewhat older residents. Near impossible to have an enjoyable meal, and if you did you typically had to wait, and pay a premium. Midway was just a place to sit and wait to die. One can buy roof racks for their SUV, but after a handful of trips to the trails, many older folks with visions of hiking the mountain trails every day became just that- a vision.

Yet Midway prices of single-family homes doubled from 2018 through 2021. Doubled. It was primarily residents of California migrating to Midway, but really- for what? The southern California traffic was already starting to congest the roads in and around Midway when we left. Seems people just want out of certain areas and are possibly "overpaying" for areas that offer very little except they are West, Southwest, or South. Time will tell.
The driving time from Midway to Salt Lake City is 50 minutes. The driving distance to many fine restaurants in Park City is 28 minutes. A little further to Kimball Junction where one has good shopping. It's not as isolated as you seem to think. Even those coming from So Cal cannot afford what is now the playground of the rich in Park City and end up buying in the Heber Valley.

Back