WGA Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you know that if you have a volume license key & XP install you can NOT move the installation to another machine legally?

Ran into a problem with the boss' computer, sysprep'ed it to move the drive to a newer machine, stuck at the license key screen. It asks for a Volume License (not the one on the side of the computer). None of our keys work.

So my boss has a machine he can't use, MS wanted $249 to "help" solve this. Let me get this straight: we spend TONS of $$$ on contracts with you, then you want to charge us to figure out YOUR license problem to protect YOU?!??! MS, you suck.

This morning, the storms blew thru about 4am or so. Our garbage cans blew over spewing papers & everything all over, it was fun picking all that junk up before the garbage men arrived. Got to work, made some coffee, the coffee spilled everywhere while it was brewing, making a hot bath for the counter & floor. Of course no one noticed it until the brewing was completely finished. Got to my office only to hear that the power supply on my Dell PC was humming loudly...OK, time to install the aftermarket P/S. Installed it, but found out I need a 20 to 24 pin converter AND the 4 pin block won't fit at all...removed aftermarket P/S...So i took a newer HP machine I use with Ubuntu 8.10 to use as my admin machine for the day. It wouldn't see neither of the monitors unless I use an analog converter. Fuzzy & yucky to look at. No can do. Then I found an identical model Dell & swapped back Dell P/S. Today, Dell, you suck. Next, tried to upgrade an HP machine with a new Intel micro-ATX motherboard as the HP M/B croaked (bad caps, again), only to see that I need to get a metal cutter to remove the slot cover portion so it will fit to the case properly. ***?!?!? Metal cutters to replace a M/B? No doubt, HP, you suck, too. Then I spilled coffee on my pants.

As Rodney Dangerfield said "I'm afraid to go to the bathroom..."

Thankfully all the tornadoes missed our neck of the woods.

I haven't had a beer in a while, I think it's time....

Ha-Ha...man..sounds like a repeat from the movie "Ground Hog day" You better stay home this weekend...sprsy Your computer with Lysol..so You don't catch a virus & hide the Mouse!!!Geez..with the way Your luck is going on Easter Sunday You will go outside & the little one will trample You mistaking You for the Easter Bunny!!!!!!.....GOOD LUCK!!

Originally Posted By: freeze12
..will trample You mistaking You for the Easter Bunny!!!!!!

Tell me you didn't just say that. OMG. There's a Facebook pic that my wifet posted with my kids in it alongside the Easter Bunny from last weekend when the Easter Bunny visited their school for a egg hunt. one of my smart-[censored] friends said "hey, is that your husband in the bunny suit?"

Geez. LOL

And to top it off, my counterpart had a tire blow out on him this morning, he got to work like 2 hours late.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Did you know that if you have a volume license key & XP install you can NOT move the installation to another machine legally?

You can also run into this mess by replacing some key components of the same system. I've heard accounts of folks replacing pooched hard drives and trying to restore a backup and needing to spend time and/ or money getting Micro$oft to allow then to use their own computer again.

I ran into this issue on the last Windows machine I used around '02 when I tried transferring a hard drive onto a new motherboard, hoping against hope that it'd "take" so I could finish a recording project. *Nope*.

While in theory it is not legal, I have never had them deny me when I call their India call center of joy.

I've reauthorized at least 30 machines over 60 times in the past 3 years - along with changing out computer components on an OEM license and it saying that it cannot validate the OEM key (because parts had been changed)

I've had original HP and Dell computers that were simply reformatted - NOTHING changed, no hardware, no software. The computer was just wiped and reformatted and it made me call the Indiajoycenter.

The only question they ever ask is how many computers is this software installed on - and I always tell them the truth, one, because I just reformatted the same one it was originally used on. They have never given me any trouble.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: astraelraen
While in theory it is not legal, I have never had them deny me when I call their India call center of joy.

I've reauthorized at least 30 machines over 60 times in the past 3 years - along with changing out computer components on an OEM license and it saying that it cannot validate the OEM key (because parts had been changed)

+1; Definitely give this a try ... has worked each time for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back