Setting Up New WD 320G HD..

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first HD I've set up under XP Pro. I now have 4 HD's installed in a Dell Dim 5150 that I've been using and I'm a bit confused by all the options & want to simplify things and make simple backups easy to do so I'll do them.

The current C/ is a 60G. It's several yrs old, given to me by a friend. XP Pro + all my files = ~20G. In addition, there are 23G of Acronis images + inc. bkups + an email backup from an older machine. I tested this drive with the WD diagnostic I downloaded with the new HD and it 'passes' (whatever that means). If you know of a newer/better/more thorough drive tester, let me know! This is an IDE drive plugged into an IDE/SATA converter, plugged into one of 2 SATA slots on the MB.

D/ is an 8G drive out of my old W2K machine I've had for nearly 10 yrs. I've been using the drive for ~4 yrs after a new Hitachi died on me. W2k OS + all files = 7.5G so it's nearly full. That machine is too slow now for modern internet, so I used it primarily for writing & email. I think I zapped it a few weeks due to the dry air wnen I was reinstalling a DVD/CD toaster and it refused to boot. Showed me the Blue Screen. After messing with it, I just pulled the drive out and installed it in place of a DVD rom in the 5150. Drive showed up fine, all files there so I guess I messed up the boot file. I've long been wanting to retire that machine anyway so the move was fine. This is an IDE plugged in place of a DVD reader.

F/ is a 21G drive, also old, that has about 10G's worth of Acronis backups from another machine & an old laptop. It also has initial W2k & XP Pro installs with all updates. This an IDE plugged into a Promise Ultra 100 Tx2 which is plugged into a PCI slot on the Dell MB.

G/ is the new WD 320G SATA drive; It's plugged into the Dell MB. (Had to track down a SATA cable that was straight through on one end & 90deg on the other..) Currently it's empty. During install, I encountered basic vs dynamic for the first time. Read through the partitions vs volumes info on WD's & MS's site. Chose dynamic. Still a bit fuzzy one the differences. Chime in please. I chose to split it in two, then I read that WD will offer no customer support to HD's with more than one partition??? Wonder what that's about??? How odd. I planned on using this HD as my new primary, copying an image of C/ onto it.

Then a friend said if you do this, a new partition will be created the same size as your mirror, which is ~ 20G. That was a surprise. Is this correct?

With all that said (thanks for reading this far), my Q's are:

1. Basic or dynamic? Partitions vs Volumes? Pro's & con's. Totally new to me.

2. Single or multiple partitions? Pro's & con's. Size recommendations? Can you resize a partition? A Volume?

3. How best to use these old HD's? I've been told you should keep your backups on a separate drive(s). I use Acronis for that. Welcome advice on backup strategies as well.

4. If you lay a small mirror down on a much larger drive, will it really create a new partition (volume) the same size as the mirror? Anyway around this?

That's enough for now. Thanks in advance!

Well I guess that was too much to ask at once or just a bad time for those who had answers!

After further digging, I figured out most of it. Found an interesting note on WD's site about realigning the cylinders in order get the best performance from one of their drives when using XP. Interesting. . . .

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I would just set it up as basic, and one big partition.

+1. I might also copy the data from the old 8GB & 21GB drives onto the new WD drive, and retire the old drives...but that's just me.

I saved some of my old data that I want to have copies of on my old hard drive and then stored the old drive in a safe place. It is sort of like another back up that I hope to never use.

Update. . . been out of town and away from the 'fuser. Thanks for the replies!

I set it up as a single, basic partition. Used Acronis to copy the old C/ to the new one, then disconnected the old C/. All is well. BTW, my friend was wrong about Acronis wanting to create the same size partition on the new, larger drive. It allows you to do that, to make it proportionally larger or to make it the size you want.

The old C/ I'll stick on the shelf as a backup. Regarding the other smaller drives, I'll move them over as well, then disconnect them and put them on the shelf. I also plan on adding another large HD to use solely for regular backups.

I also have a stack of blank optical disks that I can use for doc's backups. As my original post shows, I don't have a lot of 'stuff' and data is the most important.

Also, Dell uses these blue, plastic HD caddies/brackets in the Dim 5150. They were out-of-stock and wanted $10. I found another supplier locally that wanted $6, but even local shipping was + $7. Then found them at Discount Electronics for $10. I was resigned to having to pay $10 for a stupid piece of plastic. Fortunately, I discovered I didn't need it as this machine had an empty floppy bay and a HD would fit fine. Furthermore, when I popped off the black plastic bezel, there were 'spacer-screws' attached to the back I didn't even know about. I screwed them into the new Hd, slid it in place till it clicked and it worked great.

With everything tucked into place, I was able to close up the side of the cabinet for the first time since reviving this machine.

Glad it's done. Thanks for answering!

Are SATA HDs even screwed in these days? I have a Startech enclosure with 2 SATA drives that are installed by pulling down this front holder and pushing in the new drive. Very different than my old IDE HDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back