Westward ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I acquired this 3/8 drive ratchet from the trunk of a car that I bought and flipped a few years ago. I had never heard of this tool brand before (and I have nearly a dozen 3/8 drive ratchets in my tool box to choose from) but it has become my go-to ratchet and the first one that I reach for.

It has a nice hefty feel to it and a comfortable handle. The ratcheting action is strong and smooth as silk as opposed to my Craftsmans that would just be gathering dust if they weren't covered in my tool drawer.

"Westward R38" and "chrome vanadium" are the only stampings that I can see. So I would like to hear from any of you guys with personal experience and/or knowledge of this Westward ratchet or tools.

SAM_0373-L.jpg

SAM_0374-L.jpg

SAM_0375-L.jpg

Westward tools are marketed by Grainger. Some of them are OK. Some not so much. Their torque wrenches are absolutely [censored]. I calibrate torque wrenches at a calibration lab and the Westward's are the absolute worst brand I see.

I like the smooth "grooveless" handle. Snap-on always cuts grooves into their ratchet handles to add style, but they take away alotta comfort.

It sure looks like this uses the same mechanism as the Blue Point and Williams ratchets. The details all seem to be the same. Same reverse lever, same placement of the two screws, same cover plate.

I don't know if Snap-on makes them in-house or contracts with a Taiwanese company to make them.

Anyway, it looks like the Williams/Blue Point ratchet with a slightly different handle.

DSC_0004.jpg

$_57.JPG

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
It sure looks like this uses the same mechanism as the Blue Point and Williams ratchets. The details all seem to be the same. Same reverse lever, same placement of the two screws, same cover plate.

I don't know if Snap-on makes them in-house or contracts with a Taiwanese company to make them.

Anyway, it looks like the Williams/Blue Point ratchet with a slightly different handle.

DSC_0004.jpg

$_57.JPG

Nothing against the quality but those look a bit perverse, batteries not included.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back