Westlake Tires?

I only drive about 6,000 miles per year. My tires were approaching the 9 year mark on my 80,000 mile, 2004 Corolla. They seemed to have some major cracks from the harsh Winter and Summers of Chicago. I've been a little strapped for cash so I bought new Westlake tires f rom Discount Tires. It took them 2weeks to get in because they had to order them from the West Coast. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with Westlake tires? Even if I had money, I don't think I would drop $850 on tires for a 18yr old car. Thanks

I had Westlake tires on multiple vehicles, Toyota/Lexus/Scion. All good results. Quiet, soft enough, wear slowly, good performance in wet/dry/snow. (But that's NC snow, so take that with a grain of salt.) From my experience - they were just like Michelins, but much cheaper and didn't dry rot every 4-5 years. Some of those cars literally went from Michelin to Westlake. Underdog tires, I got zero complaints, and many praises.

I'm subscribing to this thread. I typically buy the cheapest American made tires I can find for my vehicles (after rebate) at AT. I could go cheaper, but I'd rather not be the reason some exec in China is forced to kill himself. But I absolutely will subscribe to this thread, to see what experience others here have had with them.

I only drive about 6,000 miles per year. My tires were approaching the 9 year mark on my 80,000 mile, 2004 Corolla. They seemed to have some major cracks from the harsh Winter and Summers of Chicago. I've been a little strapped for cash so I bought new Westlake tires f rom Discount Tires. It took them 2weeks to get in because they had to order them from the West Coast. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with Westlake tires? Even if I had money, I don't think I would drop $850 on tires for a 18yr old car. Thanks

It's posts like this that make me really miss the old muscle cars of the 70's. When a set of tires was nearing the end of their service life it would be time to practice your burnout technique. I don't suppose you can do that with a 2004 Corolla.

Westlakes have been used widely in the towable RV market, many manufacturers have switched to Goodyear due to real or perceived issues with the quality of the Westlake tires. I bought a new trailer in 2018 that had them on it, they warrantied 2 of them immediately due to outward bulges indicating a belt defect. After that I never had an issue.

Had a set on wifes Mazda5. Rode smooth and gripped good in rain and snow. Never had a problem, but the y only lasted 40k before I replaced them with a new set of Falkens. The Falkens are terrific but pricey. She is worth a lot to me.

I posted a link to Walmart Douglas tires for $52. Post disappeared for some reason.

Do you use Douglas Tires for your own vehicles or just your flip cars? I need some tires for a beater and am trying to decide between Douglas and The Goodyear Reliant Tires that WalMart sells. The tires will rot before they are worn out.

Do you use Douglas Tires for your own vehicles or just your flip cars? I need some tires for a beater and am trying to decide between Douglas and The Goodyear Reliant Tires that WalMart sells. The tires will rot before they are worn out.
As someone that installs both and for your needs I'd go Douglas. They do everything well enough except last the 45,000 miles.

I hardly ever drive my own cars so they probably have the 10 or 20 year old tires that they came with when I got them 5 or 10 years ago. I'll buy used tires first unless they are like the $50 size Douglas.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I suspect this car will rust out before any major component goes bad on it.

Back