Went shopping for Turkey yesterday. Fail.

Aldi has Butterball Turkey on sale .87 cent/lb and Bone in Turkey Breast (kirkland) for $1.59/lb. I think those are very fair prices. I planned on filling my freezer with both.. but neither were in my store. There are a couple of other Aldis within easy driving distance...and you cant call the stores.. so i asked the clerk to call the stores for me.. which wasnt an issue. No go on the other stores either..

I have a couple of items that i buy that only Kroger carry and a couple that only Walmart carries so i stock up on them once a month. They are close by my Aldi.

Just out of curiousity i looked at their Turkeys.. neither store had any. Zero.

If i am diligent and check my Aldi every day or every other day...i may luck out. I figure in the next couple of weeks it could take me a few gallons of gas and probably an hour or more or so of my time.

If my math is right i may as well buy a turkey for $2/lb if i see it while doing my normal shopping.

Are people hoarding turkeys? or is there a shortage? I said i was going to fill my freezer so i guess i am hoarding as well.

The Walmart I hit on Monday in Brownsville Pa. had two coolers full of Turkeys.

Tuesday night the Aldi by work also had a cooler full of Turkeys.

What part of WV do you live in?

If you're are desperate Rt28 Grocery in Ridgeley WV south of Cumberland Md. is selling fresh turkeys.

RT 28 Grocery

You want a frozen one get on the Internet and find every Super Walmart and Aldi within say 50 miles and map out your drive to see how many you can hit on your day off starting early in the morning.

There isn't a shortage yet but as we get closer to Thanksgiving it's going to get harder to find one.

Last edited:
It was January or February of this year and my wife and I were in a local WalMart store. We saw several people with 5 or 6 frozen turkeys in their shopping cart. Finally, we asked one shopper why they had so many turkeys. He told us that they were selling turkeys for $.19/lb., no limit. They were just getting rid of them to make way for the new shipment coming in. Of course, we also got quite a few. Turkeys will keep in the deep freeze for over a year with no loss of quality.
BTW, as of about a week ago, WM had frozen turkeys for $.78/lb. and the local mom-and-pop grocery store has them for $1.19/lb. There is no shortage of them here, despite what you may hear on the news.

I live close to a large turkey farm that began taking orders for Thanksgiving a few weeks ago as they do every year. I started getting our turkeys there a few years ago and I never knew what I was missing not buying a fresh turkey. They are more expensive per pound but well worth it.

If you have Lidl in your area, check there. The one near me has not only Butterball and Jennie-O turkeys, but also Butterball smoked turkeys.

Another thought: do you need a whole turkey? I got a Butterball 3-lb boneless turkey breast last year and it cooked and tasted great.

I live close to a large turkey farm that began taking orders for Thanksgiving a few weeks ago as they do every year. I started getting our turkeys there a few years ago and I never knew what I was missing not buying a fresh turkey. They are more expensive per pound but well worth it.

Not sure about a farm, but there are live meat/poultry sellers around here that slaughter on site. One place lists a price of $60 but doesn't indicate the approximate size. Sold out though.

my wife was at a local giant eagle (south western pa )and they had one turkey in the freezer she said it was like12 pound turkey for $55 ...in my book they can keep it for that price. But I'm sure someone will buy it

A local bbq place here has whole smoked 8-10 pounders for $65 available for Thanksgiving which I don’t think is terrible. I’ll smoke a turkey breast and bring it to my mom’s and she’ll do a whole bird in a roaster.

my wife was at a local giant eagle (south western pa )and they had one turkey in the freezer she said it was like12 pound turkey for $55 ...in my book they can keep it for that price. But I'm sure someone will buy it
You could get a fresh one for less than that. I think most are going in the $3.50 lb range around western and central Pa.
Henry's up in Harrisville about five miles southeast of Grove City had a limited supply of fresh Turkeys for $2.79.
I'm sure they're probably all spoken for by now.

If you're interested in driving over to Saxonburg Pa. Thoma meat has fresh turkeys still available. They're about an hour north of the burg.

Last edited:

Around here they are about 4-5 times the price as a supermarket frozen turkey, but they really are a lot better.

Isn't Aldi a pretty small store? If it's like ours they can't stock much overstock and will run out fast. Vons,staters, Albertsons etc are much larger and usually have what we need in stock.

🙄😳

Attachments

• 8D98275E-5834-4230-BA23-361119292F60.jpeg
    8D98275E-5834-4230-BA23-361119292F60.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 40
I'm looking at the online prices for my local supermarket (Safeway) for online ordering and the first thing that pops up is $32.22 for a 16-20 lb turkey from Butterball. It's $39.38 for a 20-24 lb turkey. Not sure what happens in store, although I think those are specifically sold by weight. But for a 12-16 lb Butterball it's saying approx $20.86, so it may be sold by weight. They also have their house branded frozen turkeys.

I had a look at the weekly circular, and there is a loyalty card special price for their house branded turkey with a minimum purchase of $25. I assume that's in addition to the turkey. Also - I'm pretty sure the prices and specific specials are regional. I've sometimes seen my default show up as Colorado, and the circular was way different.

03132.pdf

I bought a Butterball from Aldi for .87 cents per pound and my mom wanted one and I purchased one for her for .87 also from Aldi on Monday. I was not as lucky last year. My mother waited until the last minute and had me find one for her. I drove all over town and finally found a large one for about $2.00 per pound. We had somewhat of a shortage of turkeys for sale in my area last year around Christmas. My employer always gave the employees a turkey or ham for Thanksgiving every year.

I'm wondering how the wild turkeys in my neighborhood taste. They're literally everywhere. But they're full-sized - I'm guessing around 15-20 lbs.
Delicious! I’ve only had one that a friend shot and then made turkey nuggets with. It was amazing, I’d love to try and make one the traditional Thanksgiving way.

Back