Weird side problems after doing repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the years, I've had strange side issues pop up after jacking up my car at home to do repairs:

- Rear brakes started making a scraping noise after doing fluid changes. I had the front end jacked up changing the oil & ATF and I guess the back end sagging for several hours broke loose some rust flecks. Driving for a bit made the noise go away.

- Again, had the front end jacked up to do some work. When I finished up and went to back the car out of the garage, the brake pedal felt rock hard, like it had no assist and the booster was bad. I toggled the e-brake off/on several times thinking that it got bound up from the car being lifted up for many hours, but that only helped a little. I backed the car out anyway with the hard pedal and after a few stops, it loosened up and the pedal felt normal again.

- Instead of a hard pedal, I once ended up with a soft pedal after changing tie rods. Confused the heck out of me since I didn't touch the braking system. I looked online and people said Hondas sometimes need hard braking to "reset" the caliper pistons. It seemed weird but I went out to an empty back road late at night and slammed on the brakes a few times to trigger the ABS. Pedal went back to normal again and has been fine since lol

- Ball joint failure shortly after I rotated tires at home. I used the 2 jack method on each side, so I'm guessing the weight shift to an already weak LBJ finally did it in. A similar thing happened with a rear wheel bearing.

Any of you guys also have unrelated side issues pop up after doing a repair?

Did pads and rotors on a friends car. Three months later all pads shot. Calipers had failed on both sides at the same time--they had pushed back in no problem, but simultaneously had failed. Phenolic pistons, and no, they didn't need to be turned in.

Can't think of anything else. Maybe on my truck--it too lost a caliper, and I don't think it's ever been the same since. Brakes just feel off.

Too many times to list. 2 notable ones though. Did an AC recharge on a customers car. Nothing else. After it's charged I try to start the car. Nothin. Just Rrrrrrrrrrr,Rrrrrrrrrr. Fuel pump failed sitting in my shop. Had more batteries die in my shop than I could remember. Had one blow up!

Backed a car into the shop. Opened the hood. Went to go get our refrigerant identifier from the storage area. Battery blew up while I was walking away! Blew the caps off and split the case. Still have a spot on our floor where the acid ate it.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Too many times to list. 2 notable ones though. Did an AC recharge on a customers car. Nothing else. After it's charged I try to start the car. Nothin. Just Rrrrrrrrrrr,Rrrrrrrrrr. Fuel pump failed sitting in my shop. Had more batteries die in my shop than I could remember. Had one blow up!

Backed a car into the shop. Opened the hood. Went to go get our refrigerant identifier from the storage area. Battery blew up while I was walking away! Blew the caps off and split the case. Still have a spot on our floor where the acid ate it.

I had a battery blow up on one of our fleet vans a few years ago, man did that thing stink!

I once took my vehicle to get Oil Undercoated.
The owner told me when he went to move my vehicle, the engine Drive Belt broke.
I told him there was a 'spare' behind the seat (along with Breaker Bar and Socket).

Some parts give you alittle time to change, other do not.

Did either or both of those customers "blame" you for those ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Did either or both of those customers "blame" you for those ?

The guy that had the fuel pump fail did, We installed a new one just to shut him up. Then we 86'd him from here.

You just tell him flat-out you don't want his business or make up things like it will take a week before you can even look at it, quote him crazy-high prices?

Originally Posted by E150GT
Why do batteries just blown up ? My boss was telling me that happened to him.

Over charging and baking in hot climates.

Whimsey

20 year old Honda. Car roof had too many rust holes, so the shop replaced the whole roof as a one-piece job. They had the car for 6 weeks (busy shop with many walk-ins wanting a quick repair), but OK with me (have 2 other cars). They did engine steam clean as a bonus. Before I got the car back, the radiator fan failed, and so did the distributor ignitor. Aircon evaporator fan no workie, problem was the power transistor that controlled fan speed. I got the car, noticed rough engine and brought it back. Fix was to change all 4 spark plugs. Granted, the platinum NGK plugs were only at 20,000 miles but 10 years old. I don't blame the shop, stuff happens. In fact, I was glad the problems surfaced when they had the car. Didn't want that to happen to me when I was on the road.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back