Weird ground shipping route from Michigan to Northern California

I ordered a Mophie USB power bank from ZAGG for $30. It's a 20,000 mAh version with one USB-C input/output and two USB-A outputs. But I digress.

It's been taking a while to get from their warehouse in Michigan to my home in California. I'm curious what kind of weather delay there would have been.

Tuesday, 9/6/20229:44 AM

Shipment information sent to FedEx

5:29 PM

Arrived at FedEx location
PORTAGE, MI
10:48 PM

Left FedEx origin facility
PORTAGE, MI
Wednesday, 9/7/20225:40 AM

PERRYSBURG, OH
Thursday, 9/8/20229:30 AM

Departed FedEx location
PERRYSBURG, OH
8:35 PM

In transit
WILLIAMSBURG, MO
Friday, 9/9/202210:55 AM

In transit
OLATHE, KS
1:36 PM

OLATHE, KS
1:39 PM

OLATHE, KS
Saturday, 9/10/20227:01 AM

Departed FedEx location
OLATHE, KS
7:05 PM

In transit
EDGERTON, KS
Sunday, 9/11/20221:35 PM

In transit
EDGERTON, KS
Monday, 9/12/20222:34 AM

In transit
EDGERTON, KS
5:47 AM

In transit
OTTAWA, KS
5:50 PM

In transit
CANYON, TX
Tuesday, 9/13/20224:59 AM

In transit
GALLUP, NM
4:04 PM

In transit
PEACH SPRINGS, AZ
Wednesday, 9/14/20224:12 AM

In transit
CALIFORNIA CITY, CA
4:20 PM

In transit
CHOWCHILLA, CA
Thursday, 9/15/20222:00 PM

Shipment exceptionWeather delay

Ah, and BNSF had started parking consists in safe places in anticipation of a strike, which was averted.

FedEx is their own weather delay. Most FedEx deliveries to me either bounce back and forth between locations, or they have a weather delay-when we have perfect weather. When I see that the shipper has chosen FedEx, I don't look at the tracking information. It is rarely accurate.

Your package rode the rail on the BNSF to CA. Your log follows one of their routes exactly.
+2

I occasionally buy photo chemicals from Freestyle Photo in LA. They ship UPS Ground.... And based on the tracking, I can tell whether it moved over BNSF or Union Pacific.

So I've ordered a warranty replacement (it was smelling like a burnt circuit board but I'm not sure if I have to return the old one) and the replacement seems to be back on the same route - at least in Kansas this morning.

So I've ordered a warranty replacement (it was smelling like a burnt circuit board but I'm not sure if I have to return the old one) and the replacement seems to be back on the same route - at least in Kansas this morning.

I'm seeing it "Out for Delivery" today. Not sure how when it was updated as being in Kansas two days ago. Unless they decided to just put it in a plane or in a truck.

Back