Weeping Power Steering...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! I have a small leak (as in a drop or two a week, mostly weeping, making things look wet...) from one of the return lines in my power steering system. The system calls for dexron 3 ATF for power steering fluid and I've seen a couple of different products that look like they might slow or stop the leak until I actually fix it. Valvoline makes a high mileage Dex3 that's supposed to stop transmission leaks, and I've also seen a few other "stop leak" additives. Would this sort thing be a good temp fix or should I just keep topping it up until the real fix. Thanks much.

I'm not so sure that a stop leak can fix a failed hose.

I'd rather be patient adding fluid until I could afford to replace the P/S return hose.

IIRC, the P/S return hose on those cars is not different from bulk AT cooler hose. Buy some of that hose and some worm gear clamps.

I'll probably get flamed for this but I would try Auto-RX. I just finished using it in my Buicks PS system and have drained and filled (turkey baster method) twice in a thousand miles. I plan on doing it again and then every 10K or so. It has completely stopped the squeeling and the fluid is now staying clear. Auto-RX won't help a leaky hose but it should stop a leak caused by hard, brittle seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back