Weeping Power Steering...

Hey all! I have a small leak (as in a drop or two a week, mostly weeping, making things look wet...) from one of the return lines in my power steering system. The system calls for dexron 3 ATF for power steering fluid and I've seen a couple of different products that look like they might slow or stop the leak until I actually fix it. Valvoline makes a high mileage Dex3 that's supposed to stop transmission leaks, and I've also seen a few other "stop leak" additives. Would this sort thing be a good temp fix or should I just keep topping it up until the real fix. Thanks much.

I'm not so sure that a stop leak can fix a failed hose. I'd rather be patient adding fluid until I could afford to replace the P/S return hose. IIRC, the P/S return hose on those cars is not different from bulk AT cooler hose. Buy some of that hose and some worm gear clamps.

pbm

I'll probably get flamed for this but I would try Auto-RX. I just finished using it in my Buicks PS system and have drained and filled (turkey baster method) twice in a thousand miles. I plan on doing it again and then every 10K or so. It has completely stopped the squeeling and the fluid is now staying clear. Auto-RX won't help a leaky hose but it should stop a leak caused by hard, brittle seals.