Weedeater only running when playing with choke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a weedeater 25cc string trimmer and problems started when I broke the pull rope trying to start it. I then fix the pull rope and it basically never started ever since. I tried to take the carb appart and clean it and it didn't make a difference. Then I bought a new card and put it on and it runs but I gotta keep playing with the choke from full to half or else it dies. Although sometimes I get it to run for 10 mins then it dies. I don't have the special carb tool to adjust the screw on the new carb and I don't really know how to adjust it properly. One thing I notice is that when you tilt the trimmer wither up or down, the engine runs differently, it either speeds up or slows down. Not sure what that could be since it's never done that even with low fuel. I haven't changed the sparkplug yet maybe I should try that. Also, I was using trufuel but now started to use regular gas with oil and seafoam. Do you guys have any idea what the issue could be?

The carb ,fuel lines or filters need attention.True fuel seafoam bah. Buy a new trimmer. read the manual.

I've had similar symptoms on my Stihl trimmer in the past. For me, it seemed like a carb issue, with high RPM sputtering and bogging down. Carb adjustments didn't help. Turned out to be the flame arrestor in the exhaust. I had to remove the exhaust unit, and use a propane torch to burn the carbon from the metal screen. The screen was nearly completely clogged. Then I used a wire brush to remove the ash residue. Ran like a champ after that. Give it a try. That may be your problem too. Good luck.

Weedeater brand trimmers are throwaway units. They cost more to repair than they are worth. If you can't get it running, you'll need to buy a new trimmer. Hopefully, the new trimmer you buy wont be as low quality as the your old trimmer.

Spend an hour cleaning the carb. If you can't get it working right, chuck it and consider it a lesson learned.

I just look at those cheapy 2-stroke string trimmers and hedge trimmers as disposible. The last gas-powered hedge trimmer I bought ran good for two years, then became hard to start and wouldn't idle unless I fiddled with the choke. The carb didn't have any adjusting screws, so I said "screw it" and threw the thing in the trash. To me, it wasn't worth the time and frustration to chase down the problem. I went out and bought an electric hedge trimmer that weighs less and vibrates less. It's a pain to drag out 150 feet of extension cord to get to my furthest hedges, but I think the electric hedge trimmer is an overall win over the 2-stroke.

I also got rid of my 2-stroke string trimmer and bought a Li-ion battery powered Black & Decker. Once again, it's lighter and vibrates less, and the battery is good for about 20 minutes use, then I change it to the other battery that it came with and continue working. Altogether I think it's more convenient to use than the 2-stroke trimmer. I don't have to buy gas and mix oil into it, and fuss with carb adjustment every time I try to use it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Weedeater brand trimmers are throwaway units. They cost more to repair than they are worth. If you can't get it running, you'll need to buy a new trimmer. Hopefully, the new trimmer you buy wont be as low quality as the your old trimmer.

Spend an hour cleaning the carb. If you can't get it working right, chuck it and consider it a lesson learned.

Well I wanted to fix it to actually learn something. It doesn't seem like there is many parts so there must be something easy that I can't figure out. And if it is broken and can't be fixed, i'd like to learn why as well.

Look up the carburetor part number. Search Amazon and eBay for that part number. Often times on these small engines you can get a new carburetor for under $10-$15. Just replace the carb and diaphragm gaskets if it is that cheap and it should start and run fine.

Other things to check are blocked exhaust (carbon buildup), blocked intake (dirty air filter) and bad spark plug or mis gapped spark plug.

Try the inject a little bit of gas into the plug hole or carb intake trick. Seems the first start of my trimmer every year needs that trick to get it going and then it behaves normally.

I don't get the throw away mentality. I completely understand where you are coming from wanting to figure out the issue so you will have the knowledge in the future. You will be better for it.

I have a weedeater featherlite that I bought new in 2001. I use it about 30 hrs a year and after 14 years it still starts with 3-4 pulls. I have not had to pull the carb on it and it starts every spring with no problems. I can't imagine having to buy one every 2-3 years. What a waste.

Some of you all must not read the original post, as he has already bought a new carb. and it does start. Possibly it just needs adjusting, and he doesn't have the proper tool. I don't think they (the tool) costs much, so that is where I would start.

Originally Posted By: QMartinez
I don't get the throw away mentality. I completely understand where you are coming from wanting to figure out the issue so you will have the knowledge in the future. You will be better for it.

I have a weedeater featherlite that I bought new in 2001. I use it about 30 hrs a year and after 14 years it still starts with 3-4 pulls. I have not had to pull the carb on it and it starts every spring with no problems. I can't imagine having to buy one every 2-3 years. What a waste.

Our trimmers must be brothers. Mine is a 2000, and it gets used about the same amount as yours. The only items I ever change are fuel lines every couple of years and a primer bulb.

As a side note, a also have a Kawasaki kbl27 and a sthil fs85... So I know what a good trimmer is like.

I grab the weedeater because it is light and is good in tight areas.

Parts are cheep, fix it and have fun learning how to do so. It's also fun to see how long you can keep it running!

Originally Posted By: old1
Some of you all must not read the original post, as he has already bought a new carb. and it does start. Possibly it just needs adjusting, and he doesn't have the proper tool. I don't think they (the tool) costs much, so that is where I would start.

No tool required, take a dremal with a cut off wheel and make a slot into the spline drive adjusting screw. You will cut the carb a bit but it won't hurt anything. Now you can just use a standard screwdriver.

Originally Posted By: Planb
Originally Posted By: QMartinez

Our trimmers must be brothers. Mine is a 2000, and it gets used about the same amount as yours. The only items I ever change are fuel lines every couple of years and a primer bulb.

As a side note, a also have a Kawasaki kbl27 and a sthil fs85... So I know what a good trimmer is like.

I grab the weedeater because it is light and is good in tight areas.

Parts are cheep, fix it and have fun learning how to do so. It's also fun to see how long you can keep it running!

I bought mine at the time for the weight as well. It really is very light.
I changed the spark plug once and cleaned the air filter once.
I also add an ounce of seafoam to the gas so it always has it. I firmly believe that seafoam is the best additive for keeping the gas from gumming up the carbs. I add to all my gas cans for small equipment. I actually just started my chainsaw, poulan pro from lowes, for the first time in seven years. Fired right up and ran like the day I bought it.

...Keep the trimmer and fix it. They are so simple machine its stoopid. If you have to apply choke it is not getting enough fuel. Cut the slot in adjuster screw/s and adjust.

you should see 2 screws L and H. L is for low speed idle H is for HIGH speed power (full throttle).

1.) Carefully turn the screws IN till they seat LIGHTLY then out maybe 1.5 turns to start.
2.) Adjust L out slowly for good idle first.
3.) Pull the trigger to full throttle and adjust H to get highest RPM then open it another 1/4 turn more. you may hear RPM's drop a little but that's OK. extra fuel rich is for when you start cutting it will have power. Tweak the H speed screw after you are cutting with it to zero in on the most powerful action. you shouldnt need to mess with it after that

If the screws are turned OUT more than ~3 turns there is something else wrong. Others suggestions made should all be checked. Fuel line/pickup clogs, gas tank vent etc...

Last edited:
To the OP,
If it starts with fuel or starting fluid sprayed in to the carb or spark plug hole than you still have a fuel issue. If that doesn't work to get it started than I would look at spark. Spark plug, (gapped correctly. I have had tons of small engines than wouldn't run because the spark plug was gap was to small) check the kill switch wires, and check the magneto gap as well and that the flywheel and magneto are clean.

Was this starting and running well before the pull rope broke?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Air leak in the carb to engine. A bad gasket? Water in fuel?

In addition to this check for loose head bolts. Sometimes they loosen, compression drops and fuel is not pulled in from carb. Also, some have fuel lines w/filter which dangle in the fuel tank. Maybe the line is not setting right or filter may be restrictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back