Weed wacker mix yourself or tru fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd use truefuel or the stihl equivalent in your shoes. I can totally recognise the situation when some old fuel sits in the trimmer and the can over winter. That's when stabel fuel shines.
If you like to use pump gas anyways, I have had some success using stabilizers in like boat tanks that does not easily empty in fall. Suppose it would also work in the garden, however it is not free either and it is another thing to remember. So, naaah, if using less than a gallon I would buy stable bottled fuel but pick the cheapest. I suppose Stihl is cheaper than the other just because of the extreme packaging of trufuel...

I just went through 3 gallons of premix I blended last spring doing the hill for fire clearance. True Fuel $120.00 doubt it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I just went through 3 gallons of premix I blended last spring doing the hill for fire clearance. True Fuel $120.00 doubt it.
VPracing $63.00 5 gallon pail SEF yes I buy it by the 5gallon pail.

I have my 77yr/old Mom buy TruFuel for her string trimmer to keep things simple for her.

The guy lives in Canada and has a 7000 ft lot. Exactly how much trimming is he going to be doing during the winter/late fall/early spring? TruFuel is IDEAL for his application. He will likely only use a can or two a year.

Don't waste your time mixing gas. It will be stale most of the year.

Also I am thinking a cordless weedwacker may be a good choice for many. Cordless with LiIon batteries is getting good these.

My car vac is a cordless Milwaukee and my house vacuum for all but heavy duty cleaning is cordless Hoover.

I discovered over the last few years that I was using less than one gallon of fuel per season. This year I started the season with an off the shelf 32 oz. can of Echo Powerfuel. It's 50:1, 93 octane, ethanol free. It's all I plan to use going forward. If I had a huge place, I might mix the stuff myself. Then again, if I could afford a huge place, I'd probably pay to have it done.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Also I am thinking a cordless weedwacker may be a good choice for many. Cordless with LiIon batteries is getting good these.

My car vac is a cordless Milwaukee and my house vacuum for all but heavy duty cleaning is cordless Hoover.

Hand over your man card now.

I have yet for my gallon of pre mix to go bad. I think the oil preserves it. Still for the price of one gallon of gas, 3.2 ounces of two stroke oil. Dump whatever is leftover in your car or truck at the end of the season. You are still way ahead then paying $8 a qt for gas. I don't even bother with non ethanol gas either. I just mix pump gas. I do use Sea Foam in the four wheelers because I have so many and sometimes they don't for a year or more. Still since I started using Sea foam at the manufacturers suggested ratio. 0 problems, for years of ethanol gas storage.

My 2 cents is that if you buy a gallon of trufuel a year, it will not be to many years, maybe 2 or 3, that you have paid enough extra over mixing your own, that you can throw away the cheap make trimmer and buy a new one if you have unlikely trouble caused by the fuel. But again, that is just me, and I have never had any trouble with my own mix in my echo trimmer, and my off brand leaf blower. And I have both for many years, and gas stays in them all winter, and I mix fresh in the spring.

Ethanol free and Stihl Ultra HP in the Weedeater, edger, chainsaw, hedge trimmer; all Stihl. Ethanol free in the 4 cycle mowers, tiller, pressure washer, etc with Mobil 1 HM 10W30.

ETA: Corded and battery OPE is for girls.

Last edited:
I used to have to rebuild carburetors when using E0 from the pump and the Stihl brand synthetic oil. Just didn't hold up for an entire season for me. I don't use more than 1.5 gallons of total fuel all season.

So I just buy the TruFuel or competitors and haven't had any issues in 4-5 years since. Sure, it's expensive, but it's cheaper than rebuilding carburetors and downtime.

He can get E0 91 octane. I'd just buy 5l in the spring, and a little bottle of premix oil. Mix it up and use it until fall and dump whatever is left into the car.
Run the weed wacker dry in the fall, and put it away.

Good 2 cyl oil has stabilizer in it and will easily last all season, and then some, usually over a year. BUT, Trufuel is better gas, and will last considerably longer, maybe 2 years or more. I have a chainsaw, small tiller, blower and weedeater, and I use maybe 2-3 full cans of TV a season, and then no worries about starting the next time. Right now my chainsaw has set for over a year and I guarantee it'll start in 3 or 4 pulls and be ready to rock & roll. So for me it's just less hassle using TF.

I say mix yourself and near the end of the season switch to Trufuel. The stuff lasts for years and if you leave some in the tank or in the fuel lines, you won't come back in spring time to problems.

For most of my customers that I sell a string trimmer to every year, I try to push the Trufuel as I know they neglect their equipment. They complain about the price ($7/32oz or $22/100oz) and when I point out that I've sold them a new string trimmer for now the third year in a row, they shrug as if spending $100/yr is better than spending $22/yr.

But stupid keeps me busy and in business...

Can this topic die already?

TruFuel > Mix your own for super low usage
TruFuel < Mix your own if you use a decent amount a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back