Weather Underground ruined my favorite weather site...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both my wife and I are very disappointed with the change. I farm hay all summer and used intellicast multiple times per day. Its hard going to different format once you got used to something so easy. We are still on dial-up speeds here and can't load high graphic context of surf around looking at all the weather sites. Intellicast was so easy!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino
Outlier, use weather.gov. No pop up ads!

^^^^
Me too...

And I can read the GFS and NAM computer models... So I can see what they are really forecasting. .

Just one quick example... In January 2016 snow storm... Local weather service office had that Saturday high temp forecast for my area at 41° which was their same exact high temp for an area southeast of my area by 85 miles at 41°F.... Which made zero sense... Both GFS and NAM models showed my area maybe and only maybe making it to around 34°F... Well.... High temp actually was 32°F at midnight
... Temp dropped from there... By am it was 28°F... And by 3 pm it had fallen to 25°F....

So, being able to read the models for myself helps keep me ahead of the game... I have been able to cut out the middle man for the past 14 years now. There seems to be a A team and a b team of forecasters at my local NWS office... The A team does a really good job. The b team struggles a good bit.

I will say though there are some very good forecasters at the local NWS office. In fact last sesaon the local office did a great job with every storm my area had last winter. My area saw 6 storms last sesaon. And some of those were rather hard to forecast. I called them and told one of their meteorologist that they had done a very good job for the whole winter storm season. Winter forecasting separates the men from the boys and the girls from the women
smile.gif

Last edited:
Allow me to join the chorus. The wundergound interactive radar map used to be outstanding. I really liked the storm tracking and ability get info about specific cells (velocity, vertical integrated liquid), but a few years ago they "redesigned" their radar and stripped out those great & unique features. I saw several times that they (wundergound) claimed to be working on restoring those features but never have. Intellicast was my radar of choice until last week when it got destroyed.

One site I have bookmarked is Tropical Tidbits It has a good assortment of forecast models and is good for those who live in hurricane prone areas.

Last edited:
Why not get you weather info directly from the NWS site? That's where all of the data comes from anyway...

Tried weather bug but too many busy graphics. It locked up and died. Intellicast was the only weather site that would load on dial-up. Usually in less than 3-5 mins it would always fully load. Cell phones don't work here either. Guess we will just get the weather on the local 5 pm TV news like old times.

I switched to 1Weather app on my Android a couple of years ago it's great! Nice big weather widget in the front. Great animation of radar all the things I like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back