Wear vs. oil-filter efficiency: SAE/Amsoil paper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree, Zee.

My point is that most of today's filters are fairly decently rated, and all similar. They are NOT the same; I'd admit that. But it's easy, today, to get a filter than is anywhere from 95-99% at 20um. And that difference between 95% and 99% isn't manifesting into great wear-data differences. The typical "normal" wear variation is FAR greater than what little disparity may show up contrasting one filter to the other. Now if you want to contrast a 99% filter and a 50% filter, I'd completely agree with you; there will be some disparity (although I cannot state how much; no study data I'm aware of). Referring back to my study data:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/
see the micro-analysis example.
After a steady diet of Mobil 1 and a Pure-One filter, there was a shift to MC5K and a Puro white can. However the OCIs never varied; 5k miles. The wear data showed absolutely no statistical difference overall, despite the change in filter and lube. The input variables made no difference in output results. Hence, filtration (and lube base stock) were NOT the controlling factors of wear control. That leaves the OCI duration and (as debated) TCB film. If there was an ability of the Pure-One filter to make a difference, it should have been able to do so with nearly 150k miles of exposure. But it did not. So the "better" filtration never manifested into "better" wear protection in real life. The OCI was flushing out contamination prior to enough particulate accumulating to a level of making a difference. And the add-pack was keeping particulate separated and controlled. And the TCB was in play. But the change in filter NEVER made any difference.

The GM filter study is a ruse; it's so far away from daily life that the information just does not translate into something useful. It proves that tighter filtration can make a difference ONLY under the specific lab conditions. Those include:
- contamination loading equivalent to one OCI of 570k miles
- PSID allowed to hit 20psi; a condition that no normal filter would ever see because the internal relief would be fully open WAY sooner than that
- Add-pack horribly compromised from that one ABSURDLY LONG oil change interval
- a starting baseline of 98% eff @ 40um; about 2x more porous than any typical filter off the shelf today

Simply put, GM had to grossly ignore "normal" maintenance routines and create an insane amount of sump contamination to make the disparity in filter performance great enough to be measurable.

quoting GM:
"Used oil analysis from engines in the field will not typically show such a clear correlation since wear metals generated between oil changes will be at much lower concentrations."

I am not saying filtration isn't important; it most certainly is. But there is a law of diminishing returns that one cannot ignore. Once filtration is "good enough" (reaches a level that can sustain decent wear rates), then "more" filtration (ever tighter) does not pay any dividend in a normal OCI. We can see that in many UOAs here where someone is running a BP filter system, where others do not. And yet the wear data is essentially the "same as". We can also see that were some folks use a FU, and others a Wix, and yet the data is always within "normal" variation. If the variable (here the topic is filtration efficiency) cannot produce repeatable results that distinguish a disparity in performance, then the variable is NOT a controlling factor. You cannot have causation without correlation; it is impossible. GM admitted there will be no correlation between filter wear reduction and normal OCIs.

This is the inherent problem of ALTs; many times they prove things that don't matter in the normal world. And the resulting danger is that the uninformed latch onto "facts" that have no significance in our daily lives.

Last edited:
After reading this entire post my conclusions are that my 70 year old father is correct. He always gets around 300,000 miles out of whatever he drives before retiring his cars and trucks usually from to much rust and all he has ever run is cheep oil and filters like Fram Orange can, basic STP, ST and usually Formula Shell conventional oil changed between 4-7,000 miles. I once told him hay dad why don't you run Mobil 1 and use the top tier Fram Ultra filters? He just smiled and said "Why"

This has become an excellent thread. Thank you to those who have contributed, especially to Dave Newton who has taken the time to explain how to think critically. I have just one question. If the GM study is flawed by using data that is grossly out of the normal range of values (and I agree that it is), What about the laboratory multi-pass oil filter efficiency test, ISO 4548-12? If I understand right, this test is conducted in one short run of a few hours duration, using standardized hydraulic oil with standardized medium test dust added at rates 1000 times or more higher than at normal operating conditions. The test is operated at steady state conditions with no cycling of flow rates, no start-stop, no change of fluid viscosity, no dispersant or detergent add packages and is tested without filter vibration. All of these missing factors adversely affect filter performance in actual use in mobile equipment, sometimes drastically. Read some of the studies dealing with Dynamic Filter Efficiency and Cyclic Stabilization Testing by major Hydraulic filter manufacturers such as "Hy-Pro" and "Pall". Is it any wonder that Dave Newton can not find a correlation between published filter efficiency tests and field performance? I like the quote from Jim Spearot, a well published General Motors Engineer: "In every application, the correlation between bench tests and field performance is a critical requirement"

^^^ I doubt an oil filter that comes in at 50% @ 20 microns per ISO 4548-12 is going to perform just as good "in the field" as one that comes in at 99% @ 20 microns per ISO 4548-12. The ISO efficiency test may not represent actual use conditions on the road, but it has merit to compare filter efficiency under the same test conditions. I really don't see a low efficiency filter per ISO testing suddenly becoming a stellar filter when put on an engine and ran on the road.

The solution is simple, if you are a believer in this tiny smallest of micron particles wearing your engine, there is nothing on the market that comes close being able to filter the smallest sub micron particles out as a strong magnetic oil pan plug, plus it lasts forever, just wipe it down!
:eek:)

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Please post your credentials so we can decide whether you are better trained, educated and experienced than the GM engineers.

I do statistical process quality control for a living. Ran PM maintenance programs at a Ford facility for nearly a decade. Have a Purdue Mechanical Engineering degree. But none of that matters. You should be able to discern why ALTs are not really applicable to the real world. If you cannot, my credentials will not help you. There's a sign in my office that reads as follows:
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.

I clearly laid out WHY the GM filter study is essentially worthless to us mere mortals. Unless it's your typical maintenance mantra to run a 570k mile OCI on one sump load, never changing oil or replenishing your add-pack, all while using a 40um filter as your baseline ....

I would counter with this; take the four points I discussed and tell me why I'm wrong.

So, there is absolutely no reason to pay any attention to you over the GM engineers who did the study. They were clearly testing only the effect of filtration efficiency. Just because you want to change other variables of their study after the fact has no bearing on anything.

This is just another example of you being the loudest guy in the room, pulling stuff out of your backside, and people who can't recognize a fraud falling for it.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Regardless of dnewtons3's qualifications I do enjoy reading his posts. I like to read and learn and take in someone's interpretation of events/studies. It helps me form a more educated opinion. I don't have to take anyone's posts here as the gospel truth. I make up my own mind and try to keep a civil attitude.

If you think you can be educated by reading fraudulent [censored], more power to you. I do admire the general civil and politeness of Canadian society, but I don't see a benefit to extending it to bullies.

Please post your credentials so we can decide whether you are better trained, educated and experienced than the GM engineers.

I do statistical process quality control for a living. Ran PM maintenance programs at a Ford facility for nearly a decade. Have a Purdue Mechanical Engineering degree. But none of that matters. You should be able to discern why ALTs are not really applicable to the real world. If you cannot, my credentials will not help you. There's a sign in my office that reads as follows:

I clearly laid out WHY the GM filter study is essentially worthless to us mere mortals. Unless it's your typical maintenance mantra to run a 570k mile OCI on one sump load, never changing oil or replenishing your add-pack, all while using a 40um filter as your baseline ....

I would counter with this; take the four points I discussed and tell me why I'm wrong.

So, there is absolutely no reason to pay any attention to you over the GM engineers who did the study. They were clearly testing only the effect of filtration efficiency. Just because you want to change other variables of their study after the fact has no bearing on anything.

This is just another example of you being the loudest guy in the room, pulling stuff out of your backside, and people who can't recognize a fraud falling for it.

My apologies if I was too loud. I'll whisper ...

Pssssssssstttttt .... The GM engineers set out to show how different efficiencies of filtration may affect engine wear. To do this, they developed an ALT and therefore had to grotesquely, overtly, mercilessly harangue the sump with one OCI = 570k miles of dust. They used a super-loose filter as their baseline; one that is very "open" contrasted to what we can get off the shelf today (which heavily biases their percentage of "improvement"). They only changed filters once 20 psid was achieved; a condition that a typical off-the-shelf filter does not possess. They acknowledged that normal OCIs will never show this disparity of wear differential between any of the filter ratings they tested.

I've never said the GM filter study didn't prove what is shows; there's no debating that they did prove what they set out to show. Filters can make a different in extreme conditions. Filters are important to assure a maximum allowable particulate count that still contributes a very sustainable lifespan of the equipment. But having "more" filtration has not been shown in this study (or others I've read) to improve wear (statistically significantly) in "normal" applications. In short, because "normal" OCIs flush out contamination prior to the filter having much ability to work on smaller stuff, the excess capability of "better" filters goes completely unused.

Any BITOGer that latches onto this study and believes it has merit in his/her garage, is either ignorant or arrogant, and I don't mind the "bully" nameplate you like to put onto me. If it takes me brow-beating sense into some people, then so be it. I am not faulting the engineers at GM for conducting the test. I am not stating their findings are invalid. Rather, I am pointing my finger at BITOGers who are so gullible as to think the filter study has any contribution to real world understanding of engine filtration in actual use as we maintain equipment today.

The benefit of ALTs is that they can show a relative performance differential between products or processes.
The problem with ATLs is that they very seldom translate well, if at all, to the real world because the conditions they enforce do not exist, or ignore other variables that matter.

This thread started because yet another victim of Amsoil marketing hype latched onto the regurgitation of the GM filter study, and woefully misunderstood what the GM filter study does and does not prove:
- The GM filter study proves that if you never OCI, you can get a 70% wear reduction by moving from a 40um filter to a 7um filter, both at 98% eff and max 20 psid.
- The GM filter study ignores the contributing factors of flushing out contamination and replenishing the add-pack; something that happens with every OCI.
- The GM filter study acknowledges that the wear differential results seen in the study will never be experienced in real life.

Again, as quietly as I can muster, I implore all to understand that I'm not saying the study is flawed. I'm saying it's information is worthless to people who practice normal maintenance. If you don't understand the distinction I'm making, you're so lost that there is no hope.

Because I don't want to type too loudly, or type in caps this time, or underline anything, I'm left with this methodology to emphasize my points; repetition:

the GM filter study has no merit in the real world because it does not replicate conditions we ever experience.
the GM filter study has no merit in the real world because it does not replicate conditions we ever ...
the GM filter study has no merit in the real world because it does not replicate conditions we ...
the GM filter study has no merit in the real world because it does not replicate conditions ...
the GM filter study has no merit in the real world because it does not replicate ...
the GM filter study has no merit in the real world because it does not ...
the GM filter study has no merit in the real world because it does ...
the GM filter study has no merit in the real world because ...
the GM filter study has no merit in the real world ...
the GM filter study has no merit in the real ...
the GM filter study has no merit in the ...
the GM filter study has no merit in ...
the GM filter study has no merit ...
the GM filter study has no ...
the GM filter study has ...
the GM filter study ...
the GM filter ...
the GM ...
the ...

I noticed that you have yet to answer the challenge; show me how my four points do not have merit. Calling me a bully does not mean I'm wrong; it's just that you don't appreciate my tone. Attacking me does not lend credibility to your objections. If you see a flaw in my assessments, then let's discuss your point of view. Calling me names does not mean my points are invalid; it only serves to indicate your inability or unwillingness to debate on merit.

Last edited:

Pssssssssstttttt .... The GM engineers set out to show how different efficiencies of filtration may affect engine wear. To do this, they developed an ALT and therefore had to grotesquely, overtly, mercilessly harangue the sump with one OCI = 570k miles of dust. They used a super-loose filter as their baseline; one that is very "open" contrasted to what we can get off the shelf today (which heavily biases their percentage of "improvement"). They only changed filters once 20 psid was achieved; a condition that a typical off-the-shelf filter does not possess. They acknowledged that normal OCIs will never show this disparity of wear differential between any of the filter ratings they tested.

I've never said the GM filter study didn't prove what is shows; there's no debating that they did prove what they set out to show. Filters can make a different in extreme conditions. Filters are important to assure a maximum allowable particulate count that still contributes a very sustainable lifespan of the equipment. But having "more" filtration has not been shown in this study (or others I've read) to improve wear (statistically significantly) in "normal" applications. In short, because "normal" OCIs flush out contamination prior to the filter having much ability to work on smaller stuff, the excess capability of "better" filters goes completely unused.

Any BITOGer that latches onto this study and believes it has merit in his/her garage, is either ignorant or arrogant, and I don't mind the "bully" nameplate you like to put onto me. If it takes me brow-beating sense into some people, then so be it. I am not faulting the engineers at GM for conducting the test. I am not stating their findings are invalid. Rather, I am pointing my finger at BITOGers who are so gullible as to think the filter study has any contribution to real world understanding of engine filtration in actual use as we maintain equipment today.

The benefit of ALTs is that they can show a relative performance differential between products or processes.
The problem with ATLs is that they very seldom translate well, if at all, to the real world because the conditions they enforce do not exist, or ignore other variables that matter.

This thread started because yet another victim of Amsoil marketing hype latched onto the regurgitation of the GM filter study, and woefully misunderstood what the GM filter study does and does not prove:
- The GM filter study proves that if you never OCI, you can get a 70% wear reduction by moving from a 40um filter to a 7um filter, both at 98% eff and max 20 psid.
- The GM filter study ignores the contributing factors of flushing out contamination and replenishing the add-pack; something that happens with every OCI.
- The GM filter study acknowledges that the wear differential results seen in the study will never be experienced in real life.

Again, as quietly as I can muster, I implore all to understand that I'm not saying the study is flawed. I'm saying it's information is worthless to people who practice normal maintenance. If you don't understand the distinction I'm making, you're so lost that there is no hope.

Because I don't want to type too loudly, or type in caps this time, or underline anything, I'm left with this methodology to emphasize my points; repetition:

the GM filter study has no merit in the real world because it does not replicate conditions we ever experience.
the GM filter study has no merit in the real world because it does not replicate conditions we ever ...
the GM filter study has no merit in the real world because it does not replicate conditions we ...
the GM filter study has no merit in the real world because it does not replicate conditions ...
the GM filter study has no merit in the real world because it does not replicate ...
the GM filter study ...
the GM filter ...
the GM ...
the ...

I noticed that you have yet to answer the challenge; show me how my four points do not have merit. Calling me a bully does not mean I'm wrong; it's just that you don't appreciate my tone. Attacking me does not lend credibility to your objections. If you see a flaw in my assessments, then let's discuss your point of view. Calling me names does not mean my points are invalid; it only serves to indicate your inability or unwillingness to debate on merit.

Typical of the automotive and lubrication industry. Set up the test to get the results you're looking for, pay for it, then get the results you were after. It reminds me of oil companies bragging about how much better their oil is, then using the 4 ball wear scar test to prove it.
27.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

the GM filter study ...
the GM filter ...
the GM ...
the ...

Are you seriously trying to prove that you are one of the "moderators" of the forum ????

By carrying on like a bullying troll ???

BTW, in another thread, I referred to your "special mod powers"...and you refuted it...

I tried to copy your signature into mine, just for giggles...

It has 395 characters of only 150 allowed...no mere mortals could post your drivel as a signature...

So, yes, there are absolutely zero special mod powers, except for the ones that you forgot...and the ones that you exploit, both in your signature, and in your behaviour and editing patterns.

Please report this post and the entire thread to Helen...in completeness, should you feel that these accusations make you feel hard done by.

Please report this behaviour to Helen
Please report this behaviour to
Please report this behaviour
Please report this
Please report
Please...just grow the **** up !!!

Edit, but you fap on endlessly about that used oil tribofilm establishment paper as being gospel for extended OCIs, when it says nothing of the sort...endlessly...

Last edited:

So you edited the text that a poster quoted...which was quoting you at the time ???

And it's all upright as you "edited the quoted text"...Bill was good at that one

Yes - he quoted me before I had a chance to correct an error I had made. (I incorrectly stated at first the lower filter limit of 15um, but it was actually 7um, so I changed it for accuracy). I PM'd him and he was OK with the change. Please note that I did NOT change any other person's words; I only changed the error I made.

You seem more interested in the nuances of my self-admitted mistakes (and how I correct them) than dealing with the topic at hand.

My apologies for being human, making mistakes, and wanting the correct information available for the debate. (The real debate of the GM filter study, not the fight you're trying to pick ...) If you would like to discuss the filter study, and my counterpoints, then I'm all in. If you want to bemoan my perceived injustices, you'll have to do it on your own.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Edit, but you fap on endlessly about that used oil tribofilm establishment paper as being gospel for extended OCIs, when it says nothing of the sort...endlessly...

No, I engage the Ford/Conoco study as a very plausible explanation for the phenomenon I see in real-world macro-data; that of longer OCIs exhibiting lower wear rates. I never claimed the SAE study 2007-01-4133 proved this; I claim that it correlates very concisely with my data. What effect it shows in the lab, does indeed exist in the real world. My study conclusively proves that wear rates drop as the OCI extends. The TCB study offers a very reasonable mechanism that can detail why we see wear rates drop; it details the chemical means as a probable cause. Their stated intent was to see how the TCB variation throughout an OCI will correlate with wear.

I state WHAT happens.
The SAE study offers info as to WHY it likely happens.
You and I will never agree on this, because you cannot seem to understand the distinction I make.

How is that different than what we discuss in the filter topic?
Wear-rate topic
- The study I did proves wear-rates drop with the extension of OCIs (bizarre circumstances omitted). The TCB study shows the exact same phenomenon, using real oil from actual OCIs and tested in a lab. I quote their abstract: "... the composition of the tribochemical films formed was quite different on the surface tested with the drain oils from those formed with fresh oils. The objective of this investigation is to demonstrate how the friction and wear performance changed with the oil drain intervals."
In other words, their study knows the TCB changes with the OCI, and they set out to prove the effect of TCB maturation. My study data confirms their observations. I offer their study as an explanation as to WHY it happens. Both methodologies come to the same conclusion; longer OCIs result in lower wear-rates. There is not only correlation of results between two totally different studies, but their study shows causation (admittedly mine does not - it was not my intent). Further, neither of these two studies are ALTs; they took real world oils and analyzed them from real time use. They did not manipulate circumstances or conditions to accelerate or exclude other conditions in terms of lifecycle or premature aging.

Filter topic
- My objection to the GM filter study is not in that the study is wrong; it proved what it proved. My objection is to how folks think that it translates into the real world. No data I have in over 15,000 UOAs shows filter choices matter in "normal" OCIs. And even the GM study admitted it won't. The GM filter study is an ALT; those are known to be highly suspect and self-serving in their findings. The GM filter study proves that if you never OCI, filters make a big difference, but only when using filters with a disparity so large that we don't even see such examples in the real world. No one I know of has access to a FF 7um filter, nor would they consider running a 40um FF filter.

Most simply put this way:
My study and the TCB study took two different, independent approaches and came to the same conclusion; extended OCIs in healthy equipment result in lower wear-rates. What I see in the real world can be proven in the lab and vice versa, with minimal intervention and no ALTs.
My study data and the GM filter study show no correlation of filtration wear data to the real world. GM expressly acknowledges that normal OCIs show no such correlation. GM relied on ALT methodology to create a condition that does not exist in the real world; that condition was necessary to induce a disparity which otherwise does not exist.

You may now continue to ignore factual data and credible debate, and focus instead on my edit habits ...

Last edited:
Guys, talk about fact and debate those facts if you'd like, but stop the personal insults.

Any BITOGer that latches onto this study and believes it has merit in his/her garage, is either ignorant or arrogant ...

I wouldn't go to that extreme. Fact is, every study shows that more wear particles in the oil causes more wear with time - regardless of how the testing was done.

So my viewpoint is using a high efficiency oil filter is going to catch more wear particles than a much less efficient filter. A more efficient filter will also decrease the number of times a wear particle goes "round-n-round" before being captured. All those are positive things associated with a more efficient filter.

Will a less efficient filter "blow up" your engine? ... no.
Will running no filter "blow-up" your engine? ... probably not.
Will a less efficient filter prevent the engine from going 250K+ miles? ... probably not.
Will running no filter prevent the engine from going 250K+ miles ... probably.
Will a more efficient filter hurt the engine in any way? ... no.
Will a more efficient filter cause less engine wear in the long run? ... probably.

IMO, if for some reason the oil becomes contaminated with excessive wear particles due to internal wear or external issues that can cause wear (bad air filter), I'd rather have a high efficiency oil filter on the engine than not.

Zee0Six,
Sufficient viscosity to manage a Minimum Oil Film Thickness.
Sufficient filtering to reduce the number of particles bigger than the MOFT circulating.

Leads to minimum wear...engineering 101 when I was there, and we were doing that part of the design course.

Engines are a little different in that the pumping effect of bearings and bearing areas can clear larger particles, unlike hydraulics and other systems where debris can dam up.

But you can't escape the basics...and accelerated testing is exactly that...imposing artificially rigorous conditions to demonstrate relationships in an accelerated period of time.

e.g. the Sequence IVA warmup wear test, the engine is operated for a relatively short period of time at an artificially low operating temperature to accelerate the wear of the cams...one could mount an argument that it's artificial (it is), and that the only way to certify an oil would be to allow the engine to completely cool, and start it maybe 3-4 times a day for 10 years...would sort of delay the approvals process somewhat...so they chose an "artificial", ACCELERATED wear test, a test that displays reproducibility, both between tests, and ultimately in the field

When I would explain erosion corrosion to junior staff and operations personnel, I'd illustrate by saying "And these particles begat other particles, who begat others, and so on, until they were as numerous as stars in the sky and grains of sand on the shore of the sea". It would help explain increases in system filter changeout frequency and emphasize focus needed on where the original particles were being generated to solve rather than band-aid the problem. That was with Beta 5000 filters @ 5 microns on chemical systems.

Not exactly an engine but analogous on how removing the particles as well as possible leads to less particles available to generate more particles from wear.

I find value in accelerated tests, like gums in gasoline as example, rather than actually testing 90 day dark storage of each batch blended - by making it sit 90 days at a certain temperature then testing before releasing for shipment. Can you imagine the tankage requirements much less loss of opportunity to proactively troubleshoot and correct a batch?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Any BITOGer that latches onto this study and believes it has merit in his/her garage, is either ignorant or arrogant ...

I wouldn't go to that extreme. Fact is, every study shows that more wear particles in the oil causes more wear with time - regardless of how the testing was done.

So my viewpoint is using a high efficiency oil filter is going to catch more wear particles than a much less efficient filter. A more efficient filter will also decrease the number of times a wear particle goes "round-n-round" before being captured. All those are positive things associated with a more efficient filter.

Will a less efficient filter "blow up" your engine? ... no.
Will running no filter "blow-up" your engine? ... probably not.
Will a less efficient filter prevent the engine from going 250K+ miles? ... probably not.
Will running no filter prevent the engine from going 250K+ miles ... probably.
Will a more efficient filter hurt the engine in any way? ... no.
Will a more efficient filter cause less engine wear in the long run? ... probably.

IMO, if for some reason the oil becomes contaminated with excessive wear particles due to internal wear or external issues that can cause wear (bad air filter), I'd rather have a high efficiency oil filter on the engine than not.

I'm with your outlook.

It's basically relatively cheap insurance or peace of mind. Consider a more expensive oil filter; read better quality for extended intervals, has more "holding capacity" and generally speaking has better filtration ratings/thicker canisters, etc.

If there were a way to determine specific engines and service demand translating to sound filter choices that's the best of both worlds.

For example, how many Honda have engines died prematurely despite their OEM filters having poor filtration efficiency compared to many aftermarket labels that serve as replacements? It's true that it's not just the filter here, by any means, but rather the nature of Honda's engines of the past 20-30 years to not need higher filtration ratings in of themselves by design they preferred adequete filtration and wanted to ensure oil flow/supply. (Is this due to revving higher to achieve the sweet spots in the power curve
13.gif
)

For me, I get the Fram Ultra, M1 EP, etc. for extending intervals with peace of mind due to overall construction improvements BECAUSE I want to extend the interval. If I were running 5k or shorter; such as back in the 3k/3 month OCI craze then okay just give me any basic or dealer filter.

So, IMO it really depends on subjective use unless you are trying to change industry wide dynamics or fleet changes in a company thus having to make overall value decisions which leads back to nature of preferences and finding a balance the more of a mass coverage is involved. Easier to find out a singular app than blanket statement for real world when it comes to oil filter itself. It really comes down to it's real world usage and therefore needs/preferences.

I wager ensuring oil flow/adequate lubrication over the course of an engines life is obviously the #1 priority well ahead of preference in spin on filter.

In terms of overall filtration the air filter and perhaps bypass systems could or should be looked at for extending intervals and truly becoming more resource conserving/lowering opportunities for elevations in wear such as after an oil change.

Last edited:
ALTs can be very helpful, or very useless. It depends upon how they are designed and what they intend to prove. And most importantly, are they REALISTIC in their predictions; have they been validated by independent means? I have participated in many ALT test protocol experiments over the years. Statistical analysis of field data is critical to understanding the accuracy of ALT data.

We do ALTs here where I work, in the HVAC industry. We do all manner of them. Some are industry standards, others are proprietary. For example, we do corrosion testing in ALT salt-spray chambers. But, when the ALTs were being developed, we took actual field failures (with known history and detailed understanding of failure mode) and then compared/contrasted them to ALT failure units. At first, we didn't have a good ALT process that could replicate field failures accurately. We worked and tweaked the ALTs until we finally got the process and methodology correct. Now, we do have an ALT that accurately mimics salt-corrosion in the field. The advantage of ALTs is that they are huge time savers, IF they are accurate. But just throwing together an ALT does NOT mean it's useful or accurate; it has to be validated with real world experience to be value-added.

I am not familiar with the IVA warm up test, nor the gasoline gum test. They may be very good ALTs, or terrible. But the only way to know is to validate the results they produce with actual known failures from the field. It's very possible that the gas-gum test was refined over the years, and is now very accurate. Same goes for the IVA test. I have no means to agree or disagree other that to acknowledge they exist by your statements.

However, I don't see any evidence that GM did as such. They didn't reference any previous study indicating that the ALT method used in this filtration study was validated against real world data. They just picked some arbitrary conditions and had at it. Therefore there is no reason to believe that the results from this study will accurately translate into real life. And, for about the 100th time, they flat out admitted there will be NO CORRELATION between the study results and the real word (field results). Why? For one incredibly important reason; they omitted OCI effects on purpose to hasten the results. The GM filter study was an ALT that has no real world application, on purpose, and they admitted it, because the OCI contribution to contamination control was purposely eliminated to heighten the impact of the filters. There is no study I know if (and feel free to bring it up now if you have info) that correlates the GM filter study to the real world. GM did reference a couple other studies, but those studies were lab tests and did nothing whatsoever to show any correlation between an ALT such as what GM developed and field data. The tests they referenced were about multi-pass and single-pass testing. Not field tests and not ALT correlation.

And, let's not forget that my 15,000 UOAs also show no correlation in selection of various filters in normal OCIs to wear control either. The filter efficiency delta (ranging from 80% to 99% at 20um) doesn't make enough difference that you can distinguish them in analysis. I have yet to see any evidence, or study, that proves this variable (typical filters in typical OCIs) has control over wear. Once a filter is good enough to hold wear down, having "more better of goodness" does not change the results. My study data, using both micro and macro analysis, shows no statistically significant differentiation between filter choices in normal applications. I remind you that without correlation there can be no causation; none whatsoever.

If you happen to plan to run your car/truck/van/tractor/motorcycle/generator/etc for HALF-A-MILLION MILES WITHOUT EVER CHANGING OIL, then this study may have some impact for you to consider.

ALTs should not be praised without understanding just how good they are at predicting real life. That is, after all, the real value they are supposed to impart. If they cannot replicate life experiences reasonably well, they are not helpful and should be ignored. If they cannot be correlated, they are anecdotal at best, and at worst, misleading.

GM did not cite any previous study that validates the methodology they chose to use against field data.
GM did not prove any correlation in their 881825 study to real world wear results.
GM admitted that the 881825 study results will not correlate to field wear data, because the effects of oil change intervals are eliminated.

Informed: you understand the nuances of the distinctions I make
Ignorant: you still don't understand, after several pages of detailed explanation
Arrogant: you understand, but would rather ignore credible facts, eschew logical debate and attack the messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back