waxing headlight?

For normal upkeep, it seems general waxing of (plastic) lens is good in a similar way to the paint.

My question is to what extent does the heat from the bulb can have undesirable affects on the wax finish?

I've been waxing the headlight lenses(after every wash & more) on the 2015 Altima in my signature since I bought the car in '15 and they're still starting to fog slightly.

Yes good point I know hot sun (+UV)accerletates the fogging. Unfortunately when it comes to sun, we have been seriously short changed here in the uk!

Is this the normal ageing process or you think waxing has a part to play?

Yes good point I know hot sun (+UV)accerletates the fogging. Unfortunately when it comes to sun, we have been seriously short changed here in the uk!

Is this the normal ageing process or you think waxing has a part to play?
Normal ageing from sand blasting by road debris and UV exposure. Anything you can do to mitigate either will extend the life of exterior plastics.

PPF and followed by a ceramic coating is the best you could do for your headlights.

it might depend a bit on what kind of "wax" you are using too as so many products are called that but may be something else...does your wax have a cleaner in it or is it merely wax?...is it synthetic or natural type product?...

good luck with your choice

Bill

I spent hours a couple years ago on our van wet sanding a bad yellow haze all the way up to 8000 grit, I then used plastx to buff it out, afterwards I waxed it and continue to wax it every summer. I hear the 3M beige colored stuff is really good but never tried it.

The headlights on my Mazda3 started to haze over years ago even with waxing. Like rooflessVW said, I believe it's mainly from road debris "sandblasting" the headlights.
Now, I use Meguiar's PlastX and an orange cutting pad on my DA polisher and perform a quick polish on the headlights after every car wash to keep them clear.
Doing this, now at 14 years old, the headlights are still clear.
Just need to maintain them!

Or, depending on the chemistry used for cleaning, you'll burn through the UV coating on the headlight faster.
I never thought about that..(the cleaner wax possibly burning through the UV coating)..I've waxed my headlights for years with whatever wax I had on hand...I'll be more selective in the future. Do you recommend any in particular? BTW...What does PPF stand for? Thanks.

I never thought about that..(the cleaner wax possibly burning through the UV coating)..I've waxed my headlights for years with whatever wax I had on hand...I'll be more selective in the future. Do you recommend any in particular? BTW...What does PPF stand for? Thanks.

PPF= paint protection film.

Companies like 3M make headlight kits that are a plastic film you apply to the lenses.

If the DOT was serious about motoring safety, they'd push the automakers to go back to sealed glass beams. One can argue that people should replace their fogged headlamps. But reality is people don't and this contributes to poor visibility.

My VW was the first new car I've purchased, so I know the full history. I wax the headlights and vehicle with Collinite 845 about twice a year. Only a wash it in between waxing a couple of times (washing is definitely less than once per 1-2 months), and usually do a wax-as-u-dry then. I'm more about protection than keeping the vehicle clean always.
My 2016 headlights look clear as new.

I use Turtle Wax Ice products, like Seal N Shine on mine. The newer formulation has UV protection in it. I've been using the Ice products on them for years and have not had a single instance of fading or yellowing of the lenses.

Back