waxed with Rejex, swirl city....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love that stuff, bugs and grime literally wipe off. However, now I got swirl marks all over the place. I can actually see how I applied this stuff to the car. I mean, you can see the actually direction I applied the rejex. Never noticed this before. I used one of those terry cotton round applicators and kind of used a lot elbow grease to get some stuff off the paint like bug juice and other surprises. Did I apply it too hard? Am I using the wrong applicator? I got a bottle of Meguiars swirl free polish. Do I need to go over the car with that and then re-apply the Rejex? I use terry cotton towels to buff off.

Did you apply it in cold temps, or in direct sunlight onto hot paint? Did you apply too thick a coat? The product is temperature sensitive. I've used it with good results, easy on easy off.

Based upon how you wrote the first sentence, it seems that you have a decent amount of experience using it. Are you sure this has never happened before?

Id assume that the product could go bad, flash off some of its solvent, and then have some solids content.

Or you could have had some dirt that washing didnt remove, or perhaps a bad/dirty applicator.

Lots of variables here... But are you sure there were never swirls before?

I doubt that it was the Rejex that caused the swirls. Keeping swirls away, or not visible, ( especially black ) can be very challenging. Almost anything you use, except CLEAN 100% USA cotton towels, will cause swirls to one degree or another over time. Even most of the best microfiber towels will cause swirls to show over time, especially if you rub with pressure. The only time you need to apply pressure is when you are using a swirl remover. Once that is done, just wipe the Rejex on without rubbing hard. And always use a clean towel to apply and remove.
Good luck.

I'm guessing it's your application and removal media. Terry isn't good. Try high-quality microfiber (Vroom is good for OTC) for applying and removing the product. You could also use foam pads for application.

I'm guessing this was one of your Hondas -- as they typically have very soft paint?

Last edited:
Yeah, it was my 06, black. Learning something here...I'd always thought you WANT some elbow grease when applying the wax/polish? But, from that being said, I can see how swirls would happen. The spots where I can really see the swirls, is where I applied it hard and thick. So with the Rejex stuff, what's the best way to apply it? I always have used circular motions....wax on, wax off....car was clean, but that particular applicator had been used in the past, but cleaned each time. Foam pads, eh? So, hit it hard with the swirl free polish and then a lightly applied coat of Rejex? Would the swirl free polish remove some of the swirls if I applied it hard? I mean, the swirls are that bad.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Yeah, it was my 06, black. Learning something here...I'd always thought you WANT some elbow grease when applying the wax/polish? But, from that being said, I can see how swirls would happen. The spots where I can really see the swirls, is where I applied it hard and thick. So with the Rejex stuff, what's the best way to apply it? I always have used circular motions....wax on, wax off....car was clean, but that particular applicator had been used in the past, but cleaned each time. Foam pads, eh? So, hit it hard with the swirl free polish and then a lightly applied coat of Rejex? Would the swirl free polish remove some of the swirls if I applied it hard? I mean, the swirls are that bad.

Synthetic polymers should be applied front to back on hood roof and trunk and up and down on the sides.
Swirls are usually just filled in to lessen the look with a swirl remover product.
I'd recommend a pro to get the swirls out.
Black is tough.It isn't a color,it's an obsession.

More of a swipe than deep circular motions, huh? Hmmmm, to get those swirls out, obviously I'm going to have to cut it a little bit. Would that swirl-free polish do the trick? That stuff is like water.

More of a swipe than deep circular motions, huh? Hmmmm, to get those swirls out, obviously I'm going to have to cut it a little bit. Would that swirl-free polish do the trick? That stuff is like water.

You're going to need a swirl remover and a buffer.
Let a pro detailer or bodyshop guy try to get the swirls out.

used one of those terry cotton round applicators and kind of used a lot elbow grease to get some stuff off the paint like bug juice and other surprises.

Huh?

The car should be clean (and clayed) before applying a wax or sealant. So you should not need a lot of elbow grease to get stuff off the paint. Chances are, there was junk on your towels (which were the wrong type to begin with) and you caused a bunch of swirls. Your best bet is to pick up a dual-action polisher and some Meguiars M105/M205 to remove the swirls.

Cotton terry can vary a lot in quality and abrasive nature. Back during my "detailing" OCD phase (one of many "phases"), I learned about Egyptian, Supina, etc. cotton.

Back then, one of the tricks on the detailing forums was the DVD test.....rub the towel on a DVD to see if it leaves micro scratches. I know of a crazy guy that tried this in the fine towels section of Marshall Fields. Luckily, they didn't arrest me after they understood what I was doing.
lol.gif

However, I still catch flack from my son for ordering microfiber cloths from the PakShak in Hawaii!.....No snide comments from you oil sniffers out there. I know Bretfraz will back me up on the PakShak choice, but I think good quality microfiber is more easily available now a days.

Honda paint is very, very soft, thats the problem. Look at Honda paint the wrong way and it will swirl. You have to be very careful when applying anything to Honda paint especially by hand, just a little to much pressure and it will swirl the car. Rejex isn't the problem and the towels you used isn't the issue either. Invest in a Dual Action polisher and apply your products with it, using a soft finishing pad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
However, I still catch flack from my son for ordering microfiber cloths from the PakShak in Hawaii!.....No snide comments from you oil sniffers out there. I know Bretfraz will back me up on the PakShak choice, but I think good quality microfiber is more easily available now a days.

Ohhhhh yeah.... Pakshak is the place to go for top quality microfiber towels. Their quality control is top notch and they get the best stuff from the mills in Korea and China.

I used one of those terry cotton round applicators and kind of used a lot elbow grease to get some stuff off the paint like bug juice and other surprises.

STEP AWAY FROM THE BLACK PAINT. YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Rejex, or any other wax/sealent, is an LSP or Last Step Product. You apply LSPs to absolutely 100% clean paint.

You succeeded in imbedding bugs and dirt in your applicator and installing swirls into your clearcoat.

YOU COMPOUND YOUR PROBLEM BY ASKING FOR DETAILING ADVICE ON AN OIL FORUM.

Try Meguiarsonline.com or Autogeek.net

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HARTZSKY
Honda paint is very, very soft, thats the problem. Look at Honda paint the wrong way and it will swirl. You have to be very careful when applying anything to Honda paint especially by hand, just a little to much pressure and it will swirl the car. Rejex isn't the problem and the towels you used isn't the issue either. Invest in a Dual Action polisher and apply your products with it, using a soft finishing pad.

Did you even bother to read the first post? He applied Rejex to dirty paint. A DA polisher will do wonders on filthy paint.

Yeah, i did read the post. Maybe you can show me where he tells his audience he applied it to dirty paint? I'll answer that for you, he doesn't indicate anywhere it was applied to dirty paint. Secondly, even if the paint was clean, press to hard on soft Honda paint, like he says he did, and you will swirl the car. I know that because I've buffed out atleast 10 Accords in the last 2 years alone. Ask any paint restorer/detailer who has experience and he will tell you the same thing, Honda paint is one of the softest paints and swirls the easiest. Fact.

Last edited:
Yeah, i did read the post. Maybe you can show me where he tells his audience he applied it to dirty paint? I'll answer that for you, he doesn't indicate anywhere it was applied to dirty paint.

Your comprehension is atrocious:

"I used one of those terry cotton round applicators and kind of used a lot elbow grease to get some stuff off the paint like bug juice and other surprises."

Do you normally apply LSP over "bug juice and other surprises?" Yeah, you probably do.

Last edited:
Sorry STG, but that statement doesnt mean or indicate the whole car was dirty. Nice try tho.

No, it means you are one ignorant detailer.

What do you think happened to the bug juice and surprises he scraped off the paint with his applicator? You know, the same one he used to rub Rejex onto the rest of his car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back