Waterproofing LED Light Upgrade Connections

Got a set of LED Headlights and DRL/Signal lights for my 03 Suburban for my B-day. So excited to finally get some good night-time vision.
The 2 headlight connections will be watertight, since they use the same waterproof light connection that was used on the factory lights.
The daytime running lights, signal lights and marker light connections are the same as the bulb base connection...
2024-04-14 22.19.24.jpg

Which plug into the factory sockets
2024-04-14 22.20.30.jpg

Normally these sockets are protected from the elements since they are sealed with a sponge washer in the factory housing, but these will be exposed connections when the LED lights are installed.
I will use di-electric grease on the contact points, but beyond that, I am looking for recommendations on how I can waterproof the rest of the connection. Looks like an odd size and shape for heat shrink tubing.
Would also like it to be serviceable if there is a problem where I would need to undo the connection.
Also have a coax connection under the car for my backup camera that should be sealed.

You can fill the connector full of the dielectric grease so that some squeezes out when you make the connection, you can also do the same with the coax connector underneath the truck. It wont wash out and will keep moisture away from the contacts better than a rubber boot.

Along with a liberal application of dielectric paste as recommended, I like to wrap connections like this with marine self-fusing tape, extending well beyond the connectors.

This seems like a good approach. I have ordered some F-4 self fusing silicone tape.
Is it O.K to bed the connection completely in di-electric grease?
I always applied just enough to protect the metal contact points...just a smear on the male contacts and a dab over the receiving holes and a little to lube the seals (If it is a sealed connection).
I would think that if too much was applied before assembly, there would be some hydroscopic force trying to push the connection apart, plus part of me is always thinking the electrical contact may be compromised if too much is used.

It is perfectly fine to bed the connector, The recommended way to seal F connectors and ham radio connectors is to fill the connector with silicon paste before joining them, I also did this with the marker lights on my RV because the lenses always leaked after a year or 2 and would corrode the lamp sockets which meant replacing the whole assembly x5 because you could never find an exact match. After using the dielectric they lasted 5 years when I sold the RV and where still going strong.

Back