Water spot remover...what actually works?

I need a water spot remover for the glass on our new Jetta. The windows are loaded with water spots and water won't bead during washings due to the water spot build up. What products are safe and effective to use? I see so many options.

Safe products to use that I am aware of and not in any particular order nor one over the other. Also may be used in conjunction with one another.

*Baking Soda
*Razor Blade
*0000 Steel Wool
*Clay Bar
*Rain-X

I've personally used both of those. They both work, with the duragloss being slightly more aggressive.

I've heard of other methods, but none I've personally used. If the spots are bad enough you might want to use a buffer or something similar to apply and remove. It does take a fair bit of elbow grease if the spots are bad.

After cleaning, coat with your favorite product, be that rainx, wax, etc etc

It's good to keep in mind that some water spots are etchings and not just deposits. Rust remover and products like CLR will not remove etched spots.

I’d try some RainX Xtreme Clean on it first. Five dollars at WM or Amazon. Report back if you try it please.

White vinegar soaked onto paper towels layed on top on glass. Then plastic sheeting taped over it all to try and keep it from evaporating.

I need a water spot remover for the glass on our new Jetta. The windows are loaded with water spots and water won't bead during washings due to the water spot build up. What products are safe and effective to use? I see so many options.

My current favorite is Griot's Garage Glass Polish. I've applied it by hand and with a random orbital polisher, and have been very pleased with the results. I do not like hydrophobic coatings on front windshield glass, but I have followed the Glass Polish with Griot's Glass Sealant on the side and back windows and it is really good stuff as well. Water just runs right off the sealed glass.

I have previously tried Meguiars Water Spot Remover and Mother's Water Spot Remover. Both were OK, but not as good as Griot's Glass Polish.

000 (Triple Zero) steel wool takes it off great, and does not scratch glass. Just keep it away from paint and rubber trim.

This has worked great for me:

MF towel, copious amounts and 2 applications. Always neutralize with water after 60 seconds and do not work in the sun (or under warm conditions).

One has to remember, there are two different kinds of spotting that you can find on glass. One is hard deposits from water, the other is actually etching into the glass. The water deposits can generally be removed chemically with vinegar or one of the other specialty liquid products. The spots that are caused by physical etching of the glass can only be removed physically. No amount of liquid chemical is going to take them out. They will require an abrasive.

My advice has generally always been, start with the weaker (liquid) solutions first. If that doesn't work, move on to the abrasive removers, which is what the Duragloss, and Invisible Glass (And many others) are.

A 50/50 mix of distilled vinegar and water should remove them. Rain-X will too. I put Rain-X on all of my outside glass...

I have battled water spots on virtually every vehicle I’ve owned over the past several decades. I HATE THEM!! And I’ve tried probably 75% of the suggestions in this thread. Some don’t work at all, some work to various degrees. Then a few months back I splurged on some expensive 3M glass compound. It’s a game changer for me. It works so much better and easier than anything else I’ve tried.

3M Glass Polishing Compound, 60150 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007460F7Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_xcOKQCJrmw735

ZEP Foaming Glass Cleaner takes off water spots caused by hard water. It is an inexpensive product used by cleaning industry pros, not a marked up product intended for car buffs. It’s half the price of Sprayway which is another very good class cleaner in an aerosol can.

Back