Water Pump Grease

Alright, where's all the grease experts? I have a 1955 Minneapolis Moline UB farm tractor that has a shaft driven water pump, there's a brass bushing with a ceramic seal. The owners book says to grease every 40 hours with water pump grease. Can't find anything labeled water pump grease. Needs to be highly water resistant. Closest thing I can find is marine wheel bearing grease. Sounds like the grease used back in the day was calcium based. Any recommendations what to use? Was looking at schaffer 219. Is this a good fit or is there something better? Thanks

Attachments

• jpeg-imag.jpg
    jpeg-imag.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Castrol also makes a water pump grease or lubriplate no 115 is supposed to work the same.

I wouldn't use any "normal" grease with that. The water pump grease is soluble in water so it doesn't clog the radiator. It is also a lot thicker than most greases NLGI 4 instead of 2

I second the lubriplate product. The 115 is designed for it. You’ll probably have to order it.

If you can’t wait / can’t find it. Mystik makes their Mystik Multi Purpose #2 that is a calcium based grease. It should be available at most auto parts stores, and I believe even Deere dealerships now.

It’s the green tube Mystik.

You can also use a calcium based marine grease.

I got the Miller water pump grease and hand loaded a grease gun with it. Is some supper think grease. Put 2 pumps in, and the slight drip from the weep whole stopped when running. Was a pretty steady drip before greasing it. I'm happy with it so far. We'll find out how good it is when I put it to work.

Back