Water Heater Gas Valves...

I bought this Kenmore water heater from Sears back in 2011. Well the gas valve is having the 5 flash "internal sensor error" issue which means replacement. The gas valve was discontinued but another replacement exists. I can't get in locally only online and I can't tell how much that won't work for the family. So the earliest it may get here is Monday but most likely Tuesday.

I found a valve that is similar and the same brand but meant for Bradford White. It looks like everything will hook up the same but just wanted some advice before I attempt to install it and if it doesn't work then possibly won't be able to return it.

Old Valve;

The one I got locally;

When you click on the direct replacement, it list a different valve, not the more expensive one you linked.
Yes the expensive one was a whole kit that I got locally since no one seems to have that exact valve or it's replacement. For what it's worth the Kenmore is just a rebranded A.O. Smith from what i've learned.

Contact Supply House by their phone number. They have people in tech who may be able to answer your question.
My next step when I have a free moment at work. They seem identical other than the newer 3 led indicator vs. just one color.

I don't understand how inflation figures are calculated but in my business most of what I was using have gone up about 30%. One part in particular was approaching 400%

When I first got into the plumbing business water heater could go 20 years. Now 10-15 years
A replacement 50 gallon electric heater was $289 installed. Currently they are around $1,300 installed.
I did a DBL take on pricing out a new 50 gal. Gas unit. I don't remember what I paid at Sears but I doubt it was more than $500.

My gas water heater was made in 1996 and is still all original.
The original to the house when we moved in(2009) was built in '91 but it rusted to the point it breached the center flue. 20 yrs seems like a good life tank wise but they didn't live in the house when we bought it. So it went unused a lot plus water quality is always a factor.

Back in the late 70's I remember buying a gas water heater from JC Penney for $99.00 through their catalog. I could have bought it off the floor but it was $10.00 more that way. I was broke so I catalog ordered it and waited 3 days for it to come in.

Update:

Used the one I bought locally which required some "finessing" but ideally hooked up without issue and seems to hold a much more accurate water temp. This means my old one was on its way out for a bit apparently just based on that. New one has a metal cover on the temp sensor vs. the original having a composite. No leaks and hot water so what more could you ask for.

I will need to replace the entire unit in the next few years though. The inside of the tank didn't look bad but not great either. Luckily it's in the garage so any leaks aren't a huge concern. I will probably go tankless at that point as I have a full 1" gas line up to the heater. On to the next project!

Is it possible to replace a newer style gas valve that uses an igniter with an older style that uses a normal pilot light for increased reliability? Reviews suggest that the newer style gas valves are an issue.

Is it possible to replace a newer style gas valve that uses an igniter with an older style that uses a normal pilot light for increased reliability? Reviews suggest that the newer style gas valves are an issue.
If those use a power vent I doubt it as it would blow the pilot out. Luckily I still have the standing pilot.

i recently replaced a 18 year old a.o smith with state. it was right at 700 out the door for the natural gas model. it has no electricity running to it. i installed it black Friday and so far so good. it has the blinking light to tell you what is going on. every once in a while i go check it. installed it myself because of how much a plumber was going to charge.

Back