Watching TV movies etc in HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone notice that alot of movies you can really sense and tell they are on a film-movie set?.. In HD it does give some movies a real phoney appearance but in regular definintion you dont notice the movie set appearance.

Many HDTVs have 'motion smoothing' features which IMO looks really bad and cartoony. I always disable anything similar to that in the settings.

We just watched several movies at my in-law's house and their TV had the motion smoothing turned on... it made everything look very fake (despite the fact we were watching Rango - a CGI cartoon!). Turn the motion smoothing off and it's back to looking like the movie should and still in excellent picture quality.

Apparently this is often called the 'Soap Opera Effect', explained well on Wikipedia and HTF.

Agree with scurvy. Our samsung led was configured like that out of the box. I quickly dialed it down as it was seriously annoying.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Does anyone notice that alot of movies you can really sense and tell they are on a film-movie set?.. In HD it does give some movies a real phoney appearance but in regular definintion you dont notice the movie set appearance.

Yep. It also makes bad visual effects or bad acting even more annoying to watch.

Also, in local news programs, pay attention to the flying spit, dandruff on clothing or bad make-up.

They need to use softening filters when showing people in HD.

you can also search AVS Forums for best calibration settings of most well known TV models/series. A lot of professional calibrators post there...

That's how i set up my Samsung LCD - really helped PQ a lot, and movies look very natural, and not gaudy like the default settings.

thanks tbird... the soap opera effect is definately what I'm seeing. I just got my hi-def dish hooked about a week ago so I'm new to all this.

Its a Vizio 42" LCD looking at the settings is this what reduces the effect what I'm trying to explain here?? What should I select? thanks...

Smooth Motion Effect -
Activates Smooth Motion™ motion
estimation/motion compensation,
which suppresses motion judder,
or “stuttering” of the image when
the camera moves across a scene
horizontally. Select Off, Low,
Middle, or High.
• Real Cinema Mode - Allows selection of the type of compensation used
for the Smooth Motion™ effect. Select Off, Precision or Smooth.

Wow. Do I still have a lot to learn and haven't even hooked up my plasma yet. First HDTV for me. I did get a Sony bluray that has upscaling. Just found out about 15 minutes ago that I have to change out my cable box to get those certain channels that are in HD. Why couldn't their be an easier way to do all this.....you will be seeing many more "stupid question" post from me in the near future as you guys always seem to be spot on!

This is all new to me too. I googled Smooth Motion Technology and found all kinds of info!!! I experimented with the settings and now have in pretty much figured out to elimante that "soap opera" looking effect for movies. At first I thought it was just they way HDTV was because this is my first one. My owners manual is [censored] and doesnt explain any of this in detail.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
What should I select? thanks...

Smooth Motion Effect -
Activates Smooth Motion™ motion
estimation/motion compensation,
which suppresses motion judder,
or “stuttering” of the image when
the camera moves across a scene
horizontally. Select Off, Low,
Middle, or High.
• Real Cinema Mode - Allows selection of the type of compensation used
for the Smooth Motion™ effect. Select Off, Precision or Smooth.

Off and Off. Start there and work your way forwards to see what looks best to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back