Washing Microfiber Cloths

I was going to say. No way I’d put greasy and oily rags in my personal washing machine. At best it will leave residue. At worst, it will leave carcinogenic residues in your underpants that contact your skin for hours at a time.

Disposable rags are the way to go for the biggest messes. Maybe there’s a good way to bucket wash or pre-wash rags. I’d love to save $$ too over consuming disposables. But I have t seen it.
What are you cleaning?!

I made the mistake of washing some shop rags in the washer one time. They weren't heavily soiled, but man oh man did I do a number on our washer. I had to run load after load filled with old jeans until it stopped smelling like old grease.

🐕🏚️

How many days were you in the dog house for that? ;)

A good part of my rag bag consists of old, worn out clothes and other fabric scraps that is used and then disposed of. Otherwise, I use a lot of paper towels.

The stuff I do wear while wrenching, and want to keep, I pre-soak and work over by hand in a bucket, and then launder by itself, never with anything else.

Call me crazy but I never reuse my microfiber cloths. I just toss them out after they get dirty. I buy them in bulk from Costco or Walmart so they don't cost that much anyways.

Call me crazy but I never reuse my microfiber cloths. I just toss them out after they get dirty. I buy them in bulk from Costco or Walmart so they don't cost that much anyways.
Daddy warbucks iver here. I still have some in circulation that I bought in 2009

I would never put MF towels or anything else contaminated with oil or grease in my washing machine. I only use high quality MF towels to wash my vehicles. When I apply something like a ceramic or graphene coating I use those little MF pads and throw them away after the application of such products. The towels are usually only used to dry and clean glass.

There are plenty of good YouTube videos showing the proper way to wash MF towels, essentially only use liquid detergent, maybe add some white vinegar, give them two rinse cycles and avoid high drying heat. It's not rocket surgery.

I only clean the microfiber towels I use to dry and detail my car and motorcycle. I will use old ones for grease and other chemicals and throw them out afterwards. I use this to clean them.

IMG_0361.jpeg

I had about 200 of them and I mostly use oil and grease and moly paste.
Not tons of residue but dirty and they came out great. Some like new and the worst still pretty decent. Great for what I do. Simple wash for 4 minute cycle and dry.
I use a splash of simple green, unscented detergent and Adams car care microfiber rejuvenate

I don't wash rags any more. There's a thrift store that sells big bundles of dish and bath towels for a couple of bucks. I cut them up a and chuck them when they're dirty. I buy microfiber towels from harbor freight on the rare occasion that I need them.

I use a splash of simple green, unscented detergent and Adams car care microfiber rejuvenate
For my pricier detailing towels and rags, pretty much exactly what I use, always washed on their own and hung dry. Only diff is the brand of microfiber detergent I use. Come out like new everytime.

The cheap ones I use for oil and stuff I just use until they're too gross and throw away. Have a subscribe and save auto delivery setup, I currently have like 100+ brand new unopened. Don't miss a few. Lol.

Washed one the other day. It came out great. Nothing special done, washed with jeans and sweatshirts. no fabric softener used. Very soft when it dried.

Down the drain.

I throw out the bad ones, not like I'm putting 5lbs of grease through the wash.
There are still residues of grease and oil. Sure the soaps help liquify and disperse some of it, but residues can remain. And then they will transfer into other materials.

There are still residues of grease and oil. Sure the soaps help liquify and disperse some of it, but residues can remain. And then they will transfer into other materials.
Maybe, but no worse than what's in my clothes anyhow.
Certainly not throwing away a shirt or pants everytime I get an oil or diesel bath.

Back