Washing a black car questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Texas where it is sunny and HOt 9 months out of the year.
What is better for my black car's finish/clear coat, washing it once a month and towel drying it with a clean cotton towel or to not wash it and let the rain take care of it? I want the black paint and clear coat to last. I'm afraid of washing it and wearing down the clear coat. I know the heat and sun beat the clear coat. I waxed it with black magic wax about 6 months ago. Any tips?
paranoid????
Dusty

I thought it didn't rain anymore in Texas? Really, unfortunately only God knows what is coming down in the rain ie. toxins, acid compounds, so wash your car 2-3weeks with Meg's Gold Class ( a soap that has been around for a while and proven itself to be good). Carefully hand dry and wax with what you like (I have great results with Collinite 845) at least every 2 mo. in the summer and not ever exceeding 4 mo. anytime. That Texas heat will kill the clearcoat. I live in FL and I know the battle with keeping a black car looking nice. This regimen has worked extremely well for me for the last 15 years. Before using Collinite I was a NuFinish Paste user and I have had good success with that as well. you may like certain products so use whatever but this is a good outline for frequency. You will have a shiny car until the engine rusts out...lol

Wash it once a week in the shade. Wax it once every 1-2 months. Good luck
wink.gif

I used to use Meg's Gold Class wash but I am really loving their Ultimate wash & wax; the water sheets off much better.

To keep the paint looking the best you should use two buckets when you wash the car. One with soap and one with pure water just to rinse your mitt out so you don't dirty the soapy water.

I picked up a cheap leaf blower at Home Depot for ~$20 that I use to dry my car. If you don't touch the paint you can't put swirls in it.

The rain will not take care of your paint. If anything, it will make the paint worse since the dirt gets wet and then baked on the finish making it harder review.

You should wash it regularly especially if it is outside and dry using microfiber towels.

You can wash very early in the day to prevent the sun being a major factor. Given you have black, you would use the two bucket method, several good wash mitts, and drying using microfiber or a forced air blower (if it is not dusty where you are).

You also need to keep a good layer of protection that will help make it easier to clean that should be applied as needed depending on the brand you choose.

I had been detailing for 30 years before I stopped doing it for a side business. Now, I only do my own vehicles and maybe, just maybe, I'll take on a job now & again!

Black vehicles is a sin in my book where you live DrDusty. Light color vehicles only. The vehicle(Black) needs lots of care and you have to love it! Black only looks good/great when it's perfect and nothing less.

Wash the vehicle in the shade or early in the morning. Wash the shaded side first working your way over to the sunny side and dry the vehicle in the opposite direction; drying the sunny side first and working your way over the the shaded side. You can minumize water spotting and eventually etching into the paints surface this way. Use a California Water Blade for quick water removal prior to micro fiber towel drying. Getting as much water off the paint quickly is important in your climate(or anywhere it's HOT).

Use micro fiber towels as they are as soft/absorbant as anything that I am aware of. Use quick detail products between waxing(s) as they will keep you black finish looking better longer. And at least the quick detail stuff is something!

Use wax/silicone products mentioned here at Bob's or other sites that are held in high regard from those in similar climates. Everyone has their personal preferacnes so you'll get lot of opinions.

Good luck and think about getting a lighter color vehicle. You'll be happy that you did...Unless you love it, BLACK is just too much work!

i have a black car in the southeast. I wash it about once a month or once every 3 weeks. I usually try to wash it on an overcast day, or once the sun is behind the house in the evening. I can pull it in the garage if it rains, so washing during overcast is not a problem. I wax it probably 3-4 times a year.

By the way, you don't wear down a clear coat by washing the car. Don't worry about that. Just wash it in the shade or on an overcast day. Keep it waxed and you will be fine.

Both my vehicles are black :) IMO there is no better looking colour, but it does require some effort to keep it looking great.

Here is a high level overview of what I do:

* Hand Wash (using a good quality car wash & wash mitt) and Dry (micro fiber towel)once every week or two depending on how dirty your car is. TIP: After you have washed your vehicle and sprayed off all the soap, remove the nozzle from your hose and let the water run out over the car. This does two things. 1) it will flood the body and remove any left over suds and 2) it will leave minimal water on the vehicle, making drying a lot easier and quicker! As stated above try to wash in the shade - either first thing in the morning or late in the day or under a cover.
* Use a Spay Wax like Meg's Ultimate Quick Wax after every second wash.
* Use a Quick Detailer ( again I like Megs Ultimate Quick Detailer) in between washes to keep your ride looking fine as it removes light dust, water marks, bird [censored] and bugs.

My routine does not take that much effort/time to do and I enjoy it. I routinely get complements on how my vehicles look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back