Washer: Would you repair or replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy a new one, whatever makes the wife happy.

Any value to pushing this to the corner, and fixing (eventually)?

I Bought A Duette almost top of the line and with in a month the wash times increased to 4 hours and made a wheel bearing like noise. The drum was replaced under warranty ,the tech said the drum was $500,00+ labor to install which took quite a while. With in a few weeks the same thing. The store which I bought the Duette from picked up the Duette and gave me a loaner . The Duette was returned and still didn't work well. I called Whirlpool and worked my way up the phone ladder then with in an hour received a call from the owner of the store where I appliance shop at. The store which gives good prices and unbelievable service an almost basic Speed Queen top loader that has outlasted a Maytag and a whirlpool combined and still is 100%.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Repair the older unit. If you decide to replace, avoid HE machines at all cost. We've had a front loader and now currently have a top loader HE. It does not get clothes clean unless you put it on deep water wash mode. Kinda negates the efficiency part IMO. The electronics are terrible on our model (Maytag "Commercial Technology") and will often spaz out and need a reset. I'm waiting for someone to get rid of their 70's or 80's machine so I can throw away this $600 brick...

Your problem is the operator! Compared to my top loader, my mother's HE front-loader (I think a Whirlpool, about ten years old) does a better job, washing more clothes with half the water and one-eighth the detergent.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
At all costs avoid any high efficiency machine!!!! All of them are total JUNK! Now having said that, as mentioned above, Speed Queen is the only way to go. As I type this I'm waiting for my LG Wave Force attempt to clean clothes. It predicted it would take 1 hour and 30 minutes to produce way less than stellar results, not even mediocre actually. In order to get any semblance of clean I have to use heavy duty cycle which fills the tub fully. Because there's no agitator, it takes more water to fill that big space and with no agitator the clothes just sit there. All that water requires way more soap than is imaginable just to get lousy results. I have lowered my standards on whites as they all come out dingy. And believe me, my wife uses lots and lots of name brand detergents etc. Anybody who has an HE machine will see my kitchen towels and know that I still have my LG. And that's sad.
Speed Queens don't have the largest capacity but that may be why they do so well. As far as doing large things like comforters, quilts etc. one may have to do them one at a time @ 35 minutes a load OR you could do several items in your large capacity HE washer and wait 2 days for it all to get done - plus millions of gallons of water and too much detergent!
I'm exaggerating of course but you get my drift. I'm selling a few unused items around here to fund a Speed Queen account as they are upwards of a grand...

At a guess, you are using too much detergent. Use about one-quarter the usual amount in a HE machine.

Also, it MUST be perfectly level.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Delta
Repair the older unit. If you decide to replace, avoid HE machines at all cost. We've had a front loader and now currently have a top loader HE. It does not get clothes clean unless you put it on deep water wash mode. Kinda negates the efficiency part IMO. The electronics are terrible on our model (Maytag "Commercial Technology") and will often spaz out and need a reset. I'm waiting for someone to get rid of their 70's or 80's machine so I can throw away this $600 brick...

Your problem is the operator! Compared to my top loader, my mother's HE front-loader (I think a Whirlpool, about ten years old) does a better job, washing more clothes with half the water and one-eighth the detergent.

Hey, I'm the operator! Lol. We've had a Whirlpool front loader and now a Maytag HE toploader without the agitator. I don't like either. There's an old washer from the 60's down in the basement next door, but that thing is so small it would only do 3 pair of my work pants.

Whomever of the two adult home occupants that wash the most clothes every week, should carry veto-power on what kind of washer to buy next.

BTW.... the front loaders are twice the cost of top loaders and unless one works at a place that brings filthy clothes, a standard large capacity top loader is really all that's necessary, when dealing with slightly dirty, stained, soiled clothes.

As far as choosing to buy the no frills (dial) or all the gizmoes (electronic board), I would like to know if the electronic models outlast the dials?
I'm about due for a new washer and need help deciding if the electronic models are worth the extra spenditure ($200+)

Last edited:
I'm surprised by all the HE bashing.

Our HE vastly out performs a top loader. It gets my dirty garage clothes clean. It's gentle on all my wife's stuff. It uses a lot less water, and a lot less detergent, than a top loader.

I suspect that the folks who are unhappy with them are using too much soap, or stuffing them too full.

But top loader to HE front loader comparisons are like 1960's carburetor to modern, electronic controlled FI...you may love, and feel comfortable with, the top loader, but it's nowhere near as efficient, nowhere near as effective, as a good front loader HE.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
There may even be value in letting her chose the replacement.

thumbsup2.gif
No doubt about it.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

As far as choosing to buy the no frills (dial) or all the gizmoes (electronic board), I would like to know if the electronic models outlast the dials?
I'm about due for a new washer and need help deciding if the electronic models are worth the extra spenditure ($200+)

The touch screen stuff still controls essentially the same kind of electro-mechanicals down below. However, if vibration or something else cracks the display or if moisture intrudes the touch panel or screen, you will have a large bill.

We have had our GE TL Dial control washer for 9 years and the only thing we have had replaced are those little shock absorbers that are part of the tub suspension. And on the weekend I have two grandboys that require frequent clothing changes, so it gets a lot of use.
grin.gif

Repair it. Newer ones are all government mandated so they don't fill the basket all the way with water. New tech washers are garbage.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Repair it. Newer ones are all government mandated so they don't fill the basket all the way with water. New tech washers are garbage.

No matter how many times you keep regurgitating that, it is still wrong.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin

No matter how many times you keep regurgitating that, it is still wrong.

The salesperson at the appliance store told about the gov't mandate when I was looking at washers. Clueless as I was I had to Google it up and there were some articles on it. Didn't test the credibility of the articles but it seems all the new washers are "high efficiency" where they all use a turntable and use low water wash tech.

I was looking at Speed Queen washers when she told me that. Apparently they are the last of the non-HE washers so the water fills all the way to the top. I just returned a top-loading HE washer because it does not wash jeans well and imposed too many limitations.

I hate the longer wash cycle of front-loaders. Time is money.

From sfgate.com, even they admit:
In virtually every case, a top-load washer will cycle through a load of clothes quicker than a front-load washer. The reason is that clothes in a top-load washer are constantly immersed and soaking in water. Front-load washers are not filled as deep, and therefore, the clothing is cycled in and out of the water. With less soaking time, it takes longer to get them clean. Although each will get clothing clean, front-load washers will give you the best cleaning performance.

We have a Whirlpool direct drive top-loader from the early 2000s. Except for the defective control board (?forgot what it's called) when we first got it, it has been dead reliable. It definitely isn't water efficient, but it's less complicated than the new washers out there so I think repair would be cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I'm surprised by all the HE bashing.

Our HE vastly out performs a top loader. It gets my dirty garage clothes clean. It's gentle on all my wife's stuff. It uses a lot less water, and a lot less detergent, than a top loader.

I suspect that the folks who are unhappy with them are using too much soap, or stuffing them too full.

But top loader to HE front loader comparisons are like 1960's carburetor to modern, electronic controlled FI...you may love, and feel comfortable with, the top loader, but it's nowhere near as efficient, nowhere near as effective, as a good front loader HE.

+1. Other than some imbalance on high speed spin (which gets the clothes REALLY dry), I've got zero complaints. Our Bosch set has gone through a lot... We use cloth diapers, so we do a lot of wash..

Jee, that's a nice washer! It's got five different water level settings and even an extra rinse option!

Go to AppliancePartsPros dot com and order up some parts. They're nice people over there and they even have instructional videos that show you how to do the repairs yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back