Washer repair ?

Originally Posted by domer10
It's absolutely disgusting how "throw away" they are making appliances now, I know 3-4 friends who have gone through 2 washing machines, stoves and dishwashers each no lie, and they all have been Samsung or lg. Even reputable companies who have been in appliance game for years, such as kenmore and Maytag have all dropped the ball quality wise.

My parent's Samsung is rusting and groaning to a slow death - they are going to use it until it dies. The washer is almost 10 years old. It replaced a lemon first-gen Maytag Neptune that made it 12 years but that was after 4-5 visits from Sears and Maytag to track down why it was burning up control boards. It actually worked pretty good once I installed the updated latch and control board along with new tub bearings.

Since my parents make me the PM for most of their home projects, I'm going back to Whirlpool.

Originally Posted by JTK
I'm not sure what the differences are having never owned one, but from what I understand, today's Speed Queens have been cheapened up considerably over the ones from yesteryear.
Originally Posted by meadows
He carries speed queen, and only carries the commercial units now. Said not to buy the consumer ones now.

The more I research the modern Speed Queens the more reason I have to not get one. From what I can see, their previous generation, the TR3/5/7 models are basically the same units (the TR7 does have a fancier control arrangement) and you just pay for a longer warranty up-front. These models have only been out for a few years and they've come up with a substantial re-design in the TC5 model.

As to the Speed Queens, there are two consumer lines. A "fancy" version with a digital control panel and the old style twisty control knob type. From what I've gathered, the old style is the one to get and keep.

From the 2018 Consumer Reports buying guide used here without permission.

Percentage likely to break down by the fifth year of ownership.

Front loaders
LG 14%
Kenmore 17%
Maytag 17%
Electrolux 18%
Samsung 18%
Whirlpool 20%
GE 20%
Frigidaire 25%

High efficiency top loaders
LG 14%
Maytag 16%
GE 16%
Kenmore 18%
Whirlpool 19%
Samsung 23%

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
As to the Speed Queens, there are two consumer lines. A "fancy" version with a digital control panel and the old style twisty control knob type. From what I've gathered, the old style is the one to get and keep.

That's not accurate. In the consumer line, they have a TR3, TR5, and TR7 model with 3, 5, and 7 year warranties respectively. The TR3 and TR5 look identical and have (almost) the same features (i.e. cycles). The TR7 has a digital control panel but has the same tub, housing dimensions are the same, and so on. I think the only difference is the controls.

Then for 2019, they introduced what they're calling a "classic" model, but only one, the TC5. It has simple knobs, 3 year warranty, same size tub, and so on. By "classic", from what I'm reading, it sounds like they have (brought back ?) a more powerful wash/agitation system. Seems like the TR line wasn't too good....

Last edited:
Maytag USED to be good!! but now cost less + last less!!! i would look for a manual controlled machine as girlfriends 7 YO whirlpool front loader push button digital controller needed a $500 computer board, only a load a week, mine is an older similar model + its hangin in so far. i like front loaders + my Whirlpool is belt driven, easy on the tranny unlike cluncky direct drive models. it uses 1/3 of the water of a top loader + since it has no agitator it holds more than bigger top loaders with an agitator. everything today is throw away $$$$ with many parts from China like todays vehicles that fail sooner than later!!

5-8 yrs is about an appliance's life expectancy. We become a throw away society. I remember growing up we had a washer that spewed out what looked like gear oil and it still ran for 10 yrs.

Kenmore Eltie Washer and Dryer, now 13 years old to the day almost, never a repair except one simple to do myself on the washer, that cost maybe $10 for a part if I remember correctly, watched a YouTube and replaced it in maybe 15 minutes.
Im a strong believe in the center agitator washers, which we have.

There is a little plastic part located in the top of the agitator that will wear out over time, its what that "click, click" noise is, like a ratchet that turns the agitator one click at a time, well, if the washer is too quiet then its shot and needs replacement.
I look at it like the equal of replacing a spark plug. At no time did the washer not work, it just didn't ratchet the center agitator around effectively which rotates the clothes as they are being washed.
My exact set up and still working strong after 13 years. Had to replace the plastic “dog ears” same as you. I encourage my bride to not bog down washer with too low a water setting. Also heavy stuff goes to the laundromat. Helps those agitator parts last longer.

My Kitchen Aid washer/dyer are over 20 years old. I have to repair them form time to time, but it's not that expensive or difficult. It apears that newer stuff with more complicated electronics is often in a different category.

I have a 6 month old G.E. washer and I hate it.
It makes an awful noise when washing and gets out of balance when spinning and clunks like hell and walks and yes it is level.
The electronic controls are so slow to respond(cheap chip)
It does wash the clothes fine.
Now on the other hand I have the matching dryer and it's great, go figure.

Biggest thing to go after when purchasing appliances is “a stock vs b stock”.. always better to purchase through an appliance center vs the big box stores.

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN

That's not accurate. In the consumer line, they have a TR3, TR5, and TR7 model with 3, 5, and 7 year warranties respectively. The TR3 and TR5 look identical and have (almost) the same features (i.e. cycles). The TR7 has a digital control panel but has the same tub, housing dimensions are the same, and so on. I think the only difference is the controls.

Then for 2019, they introduced what they're calling a "classic" model, but only one, the TC5. It has simple knobs, 3 year warranty, same size tub, and so on. By "classic", from what I'm reading, it sounds like they have (brought back ?) a more powerful wash/agitation system. Seems like the TR line wasn't too good....
The wife bought a Tr series one when the 10 year old Speed Queed needed some repairs. The non agitater works O.K. but nothing like an agitator model. The agitater models scrubs out the grease and oil in my coverals where the non agitator model doesn't regardless on how I pre treat the grease and oil

Best choice is a good washer and dryer without digital controls.
Always more reliable and can count on it still running well past a decade without issues. We have two Kenmore elites from 16 years ago, still look like new, still work fine.
It will be a challenge finding a good minimal electronics combo but they are out there as I think about getting new ones just because they are 16 years old now and want a new set for the next 16.
I never, ever in my life (my wife feels the same) could understand why people buy overblown, computer assisted, electronic BS washer and dryers at stupid costly prices to ... ummm ... wash clothes. Wow, the power of marketing for super profits, it AMAZES ME.
What is glorious about washing clothes? I suspect people think its a status symbol or something to have a super expensive looking machine that washes their underwear.

and ... yes... I agree with the post above mine! Agitator is a must for me, how silly to think its modern to not have one, again must be the status symbol thing to talk about your washer and say "look no agitator" even though its better to have one.

Have you noticed, all of a sudden the manufacturers and retailers have been bringing back the top loading washer in record numbers ??? Again, marketing, now that so many people were sold side loaders, time for something new to sell the people~! Top loaders!
Oh ... and by the way, some of the newest most expensive top loaders come with a ... yup! Agitator~!~~ and they made it removable~~!!
So now you can have your agitator back, which works better ... but tell your friends, its removal if they think you bought something cheap... *LOL*

Last edited:
Best choice is a good washer and dryer without digital controls.

All the washers have digital controls now, even the ones with rotary knobs are all electronic. I just ordered a GE set from Home Depot, it has all knobs but it's computer driven - nothing mechanical

1629173742832.png

Last edited:
All the washers have digital controls now, even the ones with rotary knobs are all electronic. I just ordered a GE set from Home Depot, it has all knobs but it's computer driven - nothing mechanical

View attachment 67246
Ahhhh, yes, I should have stated that better, I think, maybe. But what you bought is something more that I had in mind.
Dials and knobs, yes, backed by electronics and solenoids, but more minimal. I strongly suspect what you picked out will be far more reliable, actually I know the units well and have looked at them a few times in Home Depot.
They also have a really nice finish on them and yes, I understand that the control are electronic, they have a nice click to them, I suspect being the machine is so popular it will still be reliable and if not easy to service and get the parts compared to some machines from overseas corporations, though maybe a bit bothersome that the Chinese now own GE.

The other I had in mind was from Whirlpool, similar machine and still actually Whirlpool. Seems to be a bit of a shortage right now and prices went through the roof but starting to come down. Actually I know there was a covid related appliance shortage, like everything else.

Ahhhh, yes, I should have stated that better, I think, maybe. But what you bought is something more that I had in mind.
Dials and knobs, yes, backed by electronics and solenoids, but more minimal. I strongly suspect what you picked out will be far more reliable, actually I know the units well and have looked at them a few times in Home Depot.
They also have a really nice finish on them and yes, I understand that the control are electronic, they have a nice click to them, I suspect being the machine is so popular it will still be reliable and if not easy to service and get the parts compared to some machines from overseas corporations, though maybe a bit bothersome that the Chinese now own GE.

The other I had in mind was from Whirlpool, similar machine and still actually Whirlpool. Seems to be a bit of a shortage right now and prices went through the roof but starting to come down. Actually I know there was a covid related appliance shortage, like everything else.
Agree. I bought a GE laundry center(stacked unit) for our beach house about 2.5 years ago. One or two buttons. No digital stuff...knobs that turn and click. The gas dryer portion was rubbing a bit from the onset. The GE tech that came out o adjust it said his paycheck comes from Haier. That fact notwithstanding, it functions very well, sounds a bit strange compared to the old Whirlpool it replaced, but it does a great job and functions as it should. If I were in the market for a washer now I'd go with a Whirlpool, GE or a Frigidaire brand. Top load only.

Haier acquired GE appliances a few years back.
I know. I've seen Haier window AC units, chest freezers etc... but it's clear they're into the major appliance business big time in the US with the acquisition of GE appliances. Can't speak to long term reliability but the unit we bought had far better ratings than the comparable Frigidaire or Whirlpool. Home Depot was able to deliver it sooner too.

Back