Warming Engines and Short Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Could reason be for immediate quick oil pickup/flow?

No, it's for emission purposes as you stated before. However, it does point to why manufacturers are adament about the oil they recommend, and in fact drove changes to the J300 viscosity definitions in the '90s.

When I lived close to the northern border my idle time varied between 30 seconds and a few minutes depending on how cold it was, kinda' like Cyprs's method. However, I would let it idle substantially longer if that's what it took to see safely out the windows. Safety always trumps a little engine wear.

quote:

Brian : Do I feel a disturbance in the force ?! : )

As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror. Then were suddenly silenced?

lol.gif

quote:

As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror. Then were suddenly silenced?

Something like that.........or it could be that I'm getting a wedgy from sitting at the computer too long : )

thanks 427Z06, this quick rev cold makes me feel good about my -60F pour point in my 0-30 XD3.

Cyprs

I thought about a pan heater, but it seldom gets below freezing here in Georgia. A 1-2 minute idle while I hit the garage door button and let the cat out does just fine. It's a 2 liter engine, it can't burn that much gas in a minute. My truck's oil pressure reading isn't a dummy guage and it never goes out of reasonable pressure. Even on the coldest mornings.

I also thought about a pan/block heater, but I live in the city and rarely - if ever - et to park near my house. Where would I plug it in? Then the engine gets down to ambient temp while I am at work anyway, so it still gets cold started then regardless.

My vehicles are always garaged. Even in the coldest weather KS receives, my garage never gets below freezing. I start the vehicles, let them idle until the tach reaches slow idle, and slowly back out. I grew up in ND. Back in the 70s-80s, we often let the vehicles warm up for extended periods (5-10 minutes) for our own comfort. This was only when the temp was below zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back