Wanting new sockets.

I have both the 1/4 and 3/8 tekton sets. I use them almost daily and they are fantastic. The ratchets as super smooth and comfortable in your hand plus the head is small to fit into tight areas. The sockets are nice and thin so they fit into tight areas and on the deep sockets the 6 point portion goes down really deep into the socket. Ive had issues with other deep sockets where the socket bottoms out on the nut halfway down the socket. I also like having the 1/4 3/8 1/2 sets seperate from each-other and not combined. Yes some of the socket sizes overlap but that is a good thing. Sometimes you need a 1/4 in where a 3/8 cant get or maybe you need the power of a 3/8 that a 1/4 would have trouble with considering the ratchet is shorter.

Last edited:
I wonder if the ratchets are serviceable? IMO, Snap On is HIGHLY overrated. I think it is a placebo effect when someone handles a Snap On tool. It's a Snap On, it must be the best.
AFAIK the newer Craftsman are serviceable, as the head appears to be the same design as my USA made Craftsmans from the early 90s. However, I haven't needed to disassemble my newer Craftsmans yet, so I can't confirm.

Regarding Snap On, they are certainly quality tools, and IMO their delivery/warranty/replacement service justifies the price for pro wrenchers. Us mere mortals only really need tools that are comfortable in the hand and reasonably durable. If they break we go to the store and buy a new one, and the time wasted does not ding our income.

Also, @JeffKeryk mentioned Williams, and I second this suggestion. I have a few of their wrenches and they are top quality without the high price. And keep an eye out for posts/suggestions from @Trav; these are sometimes a little on the spendy side, but you will never regret buying the very best!

Last edited:
AFAIK the newer Craftsman are serviceable, as the head appears to be the same design as my USA made Craftsmans from the early 90s. However, I haven't needed to disassemble my newer Craftsmans yet, so I can't confirm.

Regarding Snap On, they are certainly quality tools, and IMO their delivery/warranty/replacement service justifies the price for pro wrenchers. Us mere mortals only really need tools that are comfortable in the hand and reasonably durable. If they break we go to the store and buy a new one, and the time wasted does not ding our income.

Also, @JeffKeryk mentioned Williams, and I second this suggestion. I have a few of their wrenches and they are top quality without the high price. And keep an eye out for posts/suggestions from @Trav; these are sometimes a little on the spendy side, but you will never regret buying the very best!
I have looked at a couple of the newer Craftsman ratchets and there did not appear to be a way to get into them.

As far as Snap On, I gather they make a quality product, but many have reported bad customer service, difficulty getting tools warrantied because the driver said you didn't buy them from me, etc.

We seem to be getting off on a tangent, I think the Tekton tools are probably a tad bit better than the Quinn, but the Quinn would offer the better way to get a new one if it broke and I would be supporting local businesses instead of online sales. I have more thinking to do.

I highly recommend Wright for any sockets you may need. They are not the cheapest but they are not Snap-On pricy. They are made in Ohio with all of the steel sourced in the USA as well. Some other USA made options are Proto/Blackhawk, some Williams, and SK.

Between the two listed, i would go with the Tekton. I have never been disappointed with anything Tekton has made that i have bought.

I wonder if the ratchets are serviceable? IMO, Snap On is HIGHLY overrated. I think it is a placebo effect when someone handles a Snap On tool. It's a Snap On, it must be the best.
I remember a ratchet test done by CR in the mid-eighties. Who do you think was the worst for durability? Snap On

I highly recommend Wright for any sockets you may need. They are not the cheapest but they are not Snap-On pricy. They are made in Ohio with all of the steel sourced in the USA as well. Some other USA made options are Proto/Blackhawk, some Williams, and SK.

Between the two listed, i would go with the Tekton. I have never been disappointed with anything Tekton has made that i have bought.
Great idea. I was going to say that or the US-made Williams sockets.

There are also some good used deals on ebay and elsewhere....

Of those two, I’d chose Tekton.

I’d also consider Husky from Home Depot. I have a few of their top end ratchets and love them. Also, assuming you live near a Home Depot, they’ll have the least-hassle warranty claims of anyone. Lifetime warranty, no receipt required, and stores all over the country.

I have this set and it’s very nice, especially the ratchet. No quick release though. Case is great too. The Craftsman set is also nice. I think maybe the 120 tooth ratchets are not serviceable but that set has the 72 tooth. Can’t beat that Ace price. Capri tools has some nice sockets too. If money is not a concern, Wright is top notch for the price imo.

Hello, I ended up getting the Quinn 428 piece tool set. I received a gift card and put it towards the tool set so it knocked the price down. I will have to admit, the tool set is pretty complete. The sockets have a really nice chrome finish with nice readable sizes. The Tekton set had no skips, but the Quinn seems to be a pretty nice set.

I took a few measurements of the sockets and the seem to be right on. For what I will be doing, the set will be more than adequate.

Hello, I ended up getting the Quinn 428 piece tool set. I received a gift card and put it towards the tool set so it knocked the price down. I will have to admit, the tool set is pretty complete. The sockets have a really nice chrome finish with nice readable sizes. The Tekton set had no skips, but the Quinn seems to be a pretty nice set.

I took a few measurements of the sockets and the seem to be right on. For what I will be doing, the set will be more than adequate.
Here is an unboxing video of the set you just purchased. It looks really nice. However these tools are all "loose", so to speak. I'm just curious as to how are you going to organize and contain them?

The guy in the video looks to have purchased a lot of socket holders and wrench trays.

I just thought I would mention it for what it's worth. I bought the U.S. General roller cart the guy has in the video I posted. I just use it for my welding supplies, torches, wire, and consumables. I don't have too much weight in it.

That tool set looks quite heavy. I wouldn't be comfortable rolling that thing around with it being so top heavy, with all that dead weight that guy is putting in it. If the wheels on that thing ever got hung up, and went over, you would have a royal mess on your hands.

I'm not saying you couldn't use it that way. Just that if anyone did, I would be very careful moving it.

I just thought I would mention it for what it's worth. I bought the U.S. General roller cart the guy has in the video I posted. I just use it for my welding supplies, torches, wire, and consumables. I don't have too much weight in it.

That tool set looks quite heavy. I wouldn't be comfortable rolling that thing around with it being so top heavy, with all that dead weight that guy is putting in it. If the wheels on that thing ever got hung up, and went over, you would have a royal mess on your hands.

I'm not saying you couldn't use it that way. Just that if anyone did, I would be very careful moving it.
Those 5 drawer carts are incredibly popular due to cost vs what you get. I use one daily myself. It's loaded but not massively loaded. It's got everything I consider "core" tools to start any wrenching project, then I walk to my big boxes for "specialty" tools as needed.

I removed the lid altogether because it's just too much height when trying to squeeze the cart under a vehicle. I upgraded the casters with 4 smart wheels, so much easier in tight spaces or just to spin a 360. The shelf is always cluttered with more crap than it should be.

I've never felt like I was going to dump it and I haven't heard of anyone else having problems with stability (shrug)

America will be defeated from inside. By the cheapskates. Your grandchildren will cover the difference, and the only currency valid at that time will be blood. "It's a matter of simple Economics, pal"...

IMO, 1/4 and 3/8 drive should be Chrome moly and all but the breaker bar(WRIGHT breaker bar recom.) 1/2" drive should be impact quality.

This prevents owning too many 1/2 drive sockets, as most people use 1/2" drive for impacts.

Back