Want E0 gas but not for $25/gal? Get yourself some AvGas

Originally Posted by benjy
bla-bla-bla lead is bad BUT so are cell phones + all the chemicals sprayed on our food + all the FAKE additives used to make things taste better, BUT cheaper with more health issues!! in the end $$$$ runs everything in the USA good or bad!
No, lead is REALLY bad. There is a reason why oil based paints with lead were all but banned decades ago, just as there is a reason why leaded gasoline was banned. It may be rare, but sometimes the government gets it right. They got it completely wrong on adding Ethanol to gasoline, but don't try telling that to the corn farmers in Iowa or Nebraska.

I just add some seafoam to the gas tank once the season is coming to an end. Making sure the carb and passages are all full of treated gas when I put it away.

I haven't had to rebuild a carb once I started doing that.

The last carb I rebuilt was after letting the carb run dry for the winter..... all the o rings cracked and leaked fuel all over...

Last edited:
I had a friend that started using av gas in his older carburetor outboard motor. He loved it! Choking for cold starts no longer necessary. Thing ran like a scolded dog. 30 hours later, it developed a miss. Took it to his boat repair man to fix the miss. Diagnosis: engine completely roasted! Lead deposits everywhere with visible hot spots when he pulled it down. He bought a replacement engine as his was cooked through and through.
Don't know how well 100LL does in OPE but I'm pretty confident in saying it's no good for outboard motors.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
You can make your gas E0 if you really want to. All you need is a 2 liter bottle and some water. Must use 91 or 93 octane as removing the ethanol reduces the octane number. There are Youtube videos showing how to do it.

This is what I do. One less problem to worry about. I sometimes forget to do the seasonal drain.

Check out pure-gas.org
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Originally Posted by benjy
bla-bla-bla lead is bad BUT so are cell phones + all the chemicals sprayed on our food + all the FAKE additives used to make things taste better, BUT cheaper with more health issues!! in the end $$$$ runs everything in the USA good or bad!
No, lead is REALLY bad. There is a reason why oil based paints with lead were all but banned decades ago, just as there is a reason why leaded gasoline was banned. It may be rare, but sometimes the government gets it right. They got it completely wrong on adding Ethanol to gasoline, but don't try telling that to the corn farmers in Iowa or Nebraska.

And the dirty little secret is that the soil gets contaminated with lead. Then kids play in the soil. But it'd be a real problem if the EPA made soil testing part of determining if you live in a lead paint free house. I think the levels in the soil have decreased over time just because people have stopped using leaded gas.

https://www.soils.org/about-soils/contaminants/lead

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/prevention/sources/soil.htm

https://wonder.cdc.gov/wonder/prevguid/p0000015/p0000015.asp

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
Like I said, this is exclusively storage gas for the OPE with large gas tanks that sits for extended periods of time and is infrequently used.

Just running them dry or double dosing Stabil Marine 360 not only seems way easier, it is way more responsible too than using leaded aviation fuel just as "storage"....

Are airplanes regularly running the stuff the OP bought? How is it legal to dump that into the atmosphere above everyone?

This whole lead neurotoxin thing explains why I'm two clicks from moron status most of the time. Just kidding !! But I was exposed to it via a piston single for a few yrs that burned 100LL (PA-28 140 w/ 160hp RAM stc), and as a child there's this story: Dad used to reload 12ga shot shells. He had these 25lb canvas bags of lead bird shot which (about age 8) I was allowed to pour into a container from which he would then fill the hopper on the reloader. I was fascinated by the stuff and would sift it through my hands as if it were treasure. Once my 8 yr old attention span had enough, it was time to go upstairs and have a snack. "Wash your hands good!' was dad's parting words as I exited the gun room. Didn't always follow that directive. The typical Cheetos orange paste that would accumulate on one's palms from cramming handfuls into your face, would take on a bizarre slightly grayish tone, likely from my incessant twiddling of the bird shot absent any hand washing afterwards. Maybe it was mostly just the graphite that was in the bags to lube the pellets from each other. Mom and dad both smoked heavily in the house as well.

So whenever I say something stupid on here, it's only because I was exposed to all that lead and 2nd hand smoke as a child, ok?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by tcp71
Are airplanes regularly running the stuff the OP bought? How is it legal to dump that into the atmosphere above everyone?

Yes. But consider the low number of piston aircraft flying these days. Not a huge problem. Plus, there is a replacement lead-free fuel in development for piston aircraft motors to replace 100LL. Turbine aircraft burn Jet-A, glorified kerosene.

I've worked on all forms of power equipment going on 15 years now. Don't run AVGas in your power equipment. If you are really that concerned about ethanol, buy the TruFuel cans or use double doses of Marine Sta-Bil 360. Run your equipment dry of fuel if it will be stored for longer periods of time. AVGas is for airplanes.

LOL all of you so worried about that minuscule amount of Lead in AV fuel and the OP using it for his OPE... yet you likely eat processed foods daily, everything we touch even vegetables are soaked in Glyphosate (Roundup) hormones in your chicken nuggets etc. That little bit of lead in AV gas and the very few folks using it ain't going to hurt a thing!!!!

I run it in EVERYTHING from my generators, to chainsaws to racing go karts. It stores well, runs great, doesn't ruin carbs and makes power!

It is LOW LEAD fuel, meaning very little TEL is in it, its not like every [censored] car on the road is burning the stuff. Go crawl back in your safe space guys and keep feeding the corn industry countless millions for garbage ethanol!

I don't understand why you shouldn't be required by law to produce a pilot's license, or the airport only be able to dispense AvGas directly into an airplane and no mobile containers. Seems like an easy fix to this.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
LOL all of you so worried about that minuscule amount of Lead in AV fuel and the OP using it for his OPE... yet you likely eat processed foods daily, everything we touch even vegetables are soaked in Glyphosate (Roundup) hormones in your chicken nuggets etc. That little bit of lead in AV gas and the very few folks using it ain't going to hurt a thing!!!!

I run it in EVERYTHING from my generators, to chainsaws to racing go karts. It stores well, runs great, doesn't ruin carbs and makes power!

It is LOW LEAD fuel, meaning very little TEL is in it, its not like every [censored] car on the road is burning the stuff. Go crawl back in your safe space guys and keep feeding the corn industry countless millions for garbage ethanol!

Apparently you missed Astro's post which points out the lead content in 100LL is actually more than was ever in leaded auto fuel back in the day. Best practices would be to minimize one's exposure within reason, which if you are not in aviation or a private pilot, means leave it alone and don't use it for purposes it was never intended for !!

There isn't anything wrong with running AvGas in outdoor power equipment. Purchase and use it with confidence.
Astro14 is mistaken. Fact... 100LL Avgas does NOT contain more tetraethyllead (TEL) than pre-1975 leaded automotive gas (mogas) had, it has 1/2 the amount of TEL that premium leaded mogas had and 2/3 less TEL than regular leaded mogas had, so it is truly Low Lead, relatively speaking. The FAA will not allow the use of more TEL than this due to the increased incidence of lower spark plug lead fouling when more TEL is used.
The TEL will NOT harm small engines, all a user will notice is that the spark plug will have to be replaced more often. Keep in mind that ALL outdoor power equipment engines ran exclusively on leaded gas prior to 1975. As far as safety is concerned, a person would have to breath the small engine exhaust running the equipment in close proximity for 10,000 hours to get any kind of measurable lead poisoning from using AvGas, the carbon monoxide they breathed during the time frame would be much more harmful. The big plus is that AvGas doesn't go bad. There is a MUCH bigger risk to the health and welfare of the average individual, and the environment, having to deal with the old pump gas in their equipment and gas can.
I used to purchase and use AvGas in ALL of the machines that I serviced beginning in the fall and continuing through early spring every year. I never had a comeback when I did this, except when a customer who though they knew better than me ran through the tank-full that I put in it and refilled with the old fuel that they had sitting at home (even though I specifically told them NOT to use their old fuel). I insisted that all of my Fire Department customers purchase and use AvGas in all of the small engine machines that they used (like jaws-of-life machines, chainsaws, and cut-off saws).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Apparently you missed Astro's post which points out the lead content in 100LL is actually more than was ever in leaded auto fuel back in the day. Best practices would be to minimize one's exposure within reason, which if you are not in aviation or a private pilot, means leave it alone and don't use it for purposes it was never intended for !!

Yeah that's not correct. Lead levels in gasoline were reduced from around 2.5-3.0 g/gal in the late 70s down to 1.1 g/gal in 1983. It was further reduced to 0.1 g/gal in 1986 (it was actually a complicated scheme due to trading of credits between refineries and blenders). Of course the introduction of the catalytic converter caused the widespread introduction of unleaded gasoline in 1974 so that contributed to the reduction in the overall lead burden to the environment. Today's 100LL has about 0.5 to 0.6 g/gal so yes it is lower but not as low as what it was in 1986 for automotive fuel (about the traded level of lead in 1985).

On the other hand to make an argument that lead is not harmful to humans (especially children) is silly. Overall however the general population is exposed to much less lead than they were in the 70s (and prior) of course.

Back