Wanna use rislone concentrate, shoud i? Orsyntheti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all:) 98 toyota corolla, 78,300 miles. ok..i had too add some oil, been using 10w30 instead of 5w30 (hot humid summer time). Pennzoil dino. The car did burn oil it seemed, for some time...about a quart in i dunno, 1,700 miles or less. Last oil change, 4-5 months ago, i added Z max. And the consumption slowed!
I had tried rislone last year? 2 concentrate bottles, drove like 150 miles, drained. This time, with z max, i have noted, my cosumption went form a quart in 1,700 miles, too half a quart in 2,500 miles. Not bad.... but looking under the oil fill cap, today, i did notice...under the cap, softish wrigley looking black carbon, swirled up in a tangle ball looking thing. Looking inside the top of valve cover oil fill hole, thiers brown, too near black carbon looking coating the rim of where the cap goes on, and inside, its like 40/70...40 being clean neat visible metal, and the 70, being the brown too near black caked on appearing burnt oil crusting.
I am very aware, of toyota and the smaller pistons, hence, im trying new things, too try n clean out inside, including the rings. Which i know is a challenege. The previous owners, which was my father, like 10 years ago (bought it 2nd hand with 35,000 miles on it), went too jiffy lube :x, and always had oil changed at mileage. I doubt he ever bought a quart of oil too top off what was lost/burnt. For the record, i have changed the pvc valve like 3 times since aquiring the car, 2009.
I wanna try rislone, concentrate, using the sever recommendation form website..use 2 16.9 oz bottles, drive 100 miles, then drain. But i am also maybe considering, using pennzoil platinum form my stash, as pics ive seen in promotions online, show it cleaner better than mobil 1. What i wanna do, is use something known, too thoroughly clean out the rings, without having too tear down the engine. I am guessing, what i saw under the oil fill cap, is what is also on the pistons and rings...i am just assuming. So hence forth, my post.
What i HAVE learned...i used too use CITGO gas, local 24 hour store. EVERY 700-900 miles, i joke you not, my oil was molases BLACK, thick, gooey, and looked as if it towed up a mountain. Recently, ive switched too a local Exxon we have here.. And over the past 2,000 miles, the oil is sitll goldenish, only just turning brown. The citgo station has bad gas or something...or as ajoke, cuttin it with water lol. Prior too exxon, went up too 2000 miles on shell 87. oil was barely even touched looking. HUGE diffference, between lower grade gas, and top tier!
I tend too like dino oils. But suppose for my application, synthetic would be much better. Should i...use the rislone? And use a 16.9 oz with every oil change after? I wanna see what it does..and not sure the 2 bottles in 100 miles, or running a 16.9 for 5,000 miles would be better...or better than rislone...use mobil 1/pennzoil unltra?

Forgot too mention, every fill up, i use 3 ozs. of supertech tcw3 2 cycle oil in the gast tank.
I have 4 quarts of mobil special i bought, always wnated too use them. But wondering, if i wanted too use a dino oil with rislone, perhaos a better oil, like pennzoil would do better? Or interfere with rislone?
And...a filter? For 100 miles, a cheap napa proselect? Or a better particle capturing filter, like fram ultra?
I have learned, at leats in my cars, the use of top tier feul is important. As i noted in my post. the store, citgo gas made my oil pitch wasted molasses black in 700 miles. The use of exxon, shell, my oil was still only not even toasted lookine, at 3,200 miles in. I can run it 5,000.

I think you are overthinking it. That model burns oil because of oil return holes. Just keep topping it up with oil and keep going! Try different oils, so zmax cost you how much to save you from adding oil? Ive seen zmax priced at 30$ per bottle..just using a bit thicker oil and adding a quart every 1000 miles that costs next to nothing. Get some good deals on oil and dont overthink..i know..i know..we always overthink on bitog! Adding 10$ of oil over 5k miles is cheaper than dropping money on additives.

Put in a Fram ultra and change after 10k miles. If you add a quart every 1700 miles..you are refreshing oil so often you likely dont need to change it often. Change out your PCV valve, and stop wasting money on additives. Put that money saved in the bank instead for a new ride down the road.

Last edited:
Yeah, i know. I wanted too try something new, with the zmax, see if it works. I payed $17.98 on a clearence form walmart.
Its fun, at the same time, too do different things, becuase i often have the oil change fever; ) BUt since ive found better gas too extend my OCI's...guess ill have too wait more often. OR drive alot..:)
I have it in my head, the rings could prob use a good thorough cleaning. Hence, the post. I do know quality synthetics clean WAY better than dinos. But since i like dinos more...you get the big picture.

I would just use Pennzoil dino yellow bottle, unless of course you want to experiment.

still debating...2 bottles 100 miles, or 1 bottle, 4-5000 miles.. Oil cleans best when used in mileage, seems the 2 bottle treatment, i feel sense, wouldnt clean much up at all. hmmmmm

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I think you are overthinking it. That model burns oil because of oil return holes. Just keep topping it up with oil and keep going! Try different oils, so zmax cost you how much to save you from adding oil? Ive seen zmax priced at 30$ per bottle..just using a bit thicker oil and adding a quart every 1000 miles that costs next to nothing. Get some good deals on oil and dont overthink..i know..i know..we always overthink on bitog! Adding 10$ of oil over 5k miles is cheaper than dropping money on additives.

+1 on this. I doubt the PP will clean it up to the point you want it to. I had a 98 Sienna and I used Auto-rx for one OCI. Then I switched to PP for two OCI. Engine was a little bit cleaner, but the varnish was still there. As mentioned by others, use PYB or high mileage oil and call it a day.

+1 for over thinking it.
I prefer longer cleaning cycles. Dino or Synth, slow is the way to go.
Long term I'd go with a High Milage oil also.

Short term, whatever you want.

use one bottle of concentrate for the entire OCI. no need to worry about it.

I used Rislone a couple times seemed okay nothing really to report either.

I would just jump to a thicker HM oil like Pennzoil and use 1 qt MMO each OCI and run it the full duration. Slow and easy results.

JMO

Got some yesterday, and opened today.

Brings back memories of Grandad's garage, and reminds me of some sort of firearm product that escapes me at present.

And it's a nice shade of blue

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Got some yesterday, and opened today.

Brings back memories of Grandad's garage, and reminds me of some sort of firearm product that escapes me at present.

And it's a nice shade of blue

I'm dying to try it, but don't have a test mule in the fleet at the moment. Please let us know how it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back