Walmart Super Tech Full Synthetic vs Advanced Full Synthetic VOA

Attached reports for 0w20. 4k mile UOA coming soon for full synthetic followed by advanced full synthetic after that.

Screenshot_20211214-183455~4.jpg
Screenshot_20211214-183509~4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Attention to detail! The technician commented on the wrong TBN in the Advanced report. 7.1 vs 7.3.
Not a huge error, but for the price, I would expect accuracy.

Shame on the marketing folks for taking the same formulation and slapping on a 20k oci label on the bottle

I haven’t looked at sds or other discussion on this. Could the advanced have a more oxidation and shear stable base stock, with consistent adds?

I'm curious to know also, if there are other additives or better base stock in the "Advance Oil 20K mile" that don't show up in a VOA, that allows it to be labeled as 20,000 miles.

Certainly the difference between e.g., STFS 0W20 & 5W20(yes, 0w20/5w20) is the base stock. Therefore is the base stock for the 0W20 oils even bette still in the Advance FS(20K) 0W20 compared to Full Syn(10K) 0W20?

Because I am not seeing anything that is significantly different in the testing. Meaning if the lab ran the samples again, they may show slightly different results again. And too, the cost difference is only $2 per 5qt jug($18 compared to $20) in my neck of the woods. But, I don't want to just give'em $2 extra buck for nothing, I mean, c'mon!

Similarly, WM ST Oil Filters are ~$3 for the 10K filter and ~$5.50 for the 20K filter and supposedly, the only difference is the silicon ADBV. Again I mean, is the silicone ADBV worth the extra $2 fiddy?

This is the second comparison I’ve seen on here and I just don’t see any measurable looking difference. A TBN of 7.3 compared to 7.1? Heck, they may test that again and the results could read 7.1 to 7.1...what’s their measure of error in testing? And everything else looks basically identical.

It’s only a couple bucks more for the advanced, but why bother if it is basically the same oil? As for Walmart/Super Tech, I can see why it would make a huge difference for them if they basically sprinkled a couple microns of something into a batch and slap a $2 dollar increase on it and call it “Advanced”.

Until someone tells me that the base stocks are different, or the additives last longer, I think I’ll pass. Someone made a YouTube video on Super Techs extended drain oil filters, and compared them to their regular filters...the only difference was one drain back valve was rubber and the other was made of something just a little more stiffer. That was it. Same filter media, same number of pleats and end caps. Same internal core, same external housing, and basically the same weight. I think companies have found themselves a tremendous and easy way to make more money. Think about it - they flat out tell you NOT TO use the oil for 20,000 miles unless the manufacturer tells you it’s ok. And no manufacturer tells you it’s ok. They’re covered legally if anything happens to you engine. That would be like me making a yogurt claiming it’ll make you feel better, while telling you not to actually eat it.

This is the second comparison I’ve seen on here and I just don’t see any measurable looking difference. A TBN of 7.3 compared to 7.1? Heck, they may test that again and the results could read 7.1 to 7.1...what’s their measure of error in testing? And everything else looks basically identical.

It’s only a couple bucks more for the advanced, but why bother if it is basically the same oil? As for Walmart/Super Tech, I can see why it would make a huge difference for them if they basically sprinkled a couple microns of something into a batch and slap a $2 dollar increase on it and call it “Advanced”.

Until someone tells me that the base stocks are different, or the additives last longer, I think I’ll pass. Someone made a YouTube video on Super Techs extended drain oil filters, and compared them to their regular filters...the only difference was one drain back valve was rubber and the other was made of something just a little more stiffer. That was it. Same filter media, same number of pleats and end caps. Same internal core, same external housing, and basically the same weight. I think companies have found themselves a tremendous and easy way to make more money. Think about it - they flat out tell you NOT TO use the oil for 20,000 miles unless the manufacturer tells you it’s ok. And no manufacturer tells you it’s ok. They’re covered legally if anything happens to you engine. That would be like me making a yogurt claiming it’ll make you feel better, while telling you not to actually eat it.
Amsoil does basically the same thing. What's the difference? From Mobil's website as well: "If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual."

Amsoil does basically the same thing. What's the difference? From Mobil's website as well: "If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual."
What's the difference? Amsoil is widely tested, respected and proven by people on here, and other places, that their oil is capable of going a lot of miles between oil changes. Super Tech, although capable of 5,000-7,500 mile intervals, really doesn't have a history of documentation of being capable from a standpoint of additive package or base stocks. Amsoil does. Mobil 1 has some evidence too (various videos on their 20,000 mile oil). So, I think at least Amsoil and Mobil 1 try to provide some sort of proof, Super Tech isn't. And as a consumer, if you're going to drive well beyond the manufacturer recommendation, you need that. IMO. No?

Attention to detail! The technician commented on the wrong TBN in the Advanced report. 7.1 vs 7.3.
Not a huge error, but for the price, I would expect accuracy.
Tolerances of the blend or the testing machine etc.

Last edited:
What's the difference? Amsoil is widely tested, respected and proven by people on here, and other places, that their oil is capable of going a lot of miles between oil changes. Super Tech, although capable of 5,000-7,500 mile intervals, really doesn't have a history of documentation of being capable from a standpoint of additive package or base stocks. Amsoil does. Mobil 1 has some evidence too (various videos on their 20,000 mile oil). So, I think at least Amsoil and Mobil 1 try to provide some sort of proof, Super Tech isn't. And as a consumer, if you're going to drive well beyond the manufacturer recommendation, you need that. IMO. No?
Stupertech is known for not marketing their items, either. They really don’t need to. Amsoil and Mobil have heavy marketing campaigns on both sides. I am not surprised to not see any “long term results”.

Not sure if it matters, but mobil1 is used by a lot more people than Amsoil and super tech.

Not sure if it matters, but mobil1 is used by a lot more people than Amsoil and super tech.
No, it doesn’t really matter. And Mobil 1 is indeed a very good product however
they out sell the competition because they’ve been around a long time and their advertising & sponsorship is of the charts.

No, it doesn’t really matter. And Mobil 1 is indeed a very good product however
they out sell the competition because they’ve been around a long time and their advertising & sponsorship is of the charts.

Buying well known brand thats been around for long time and used by large number of people has some benefits.

Back