walmart recalled st2808

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a follow up call from Champion Labs today to make sure I was satisfied.

Mr. Bill Burch confirmed that the ST 2808 was identical in all function to the Honda OEM filter. The replacement filter, ST 3593A, was modified slightly so that it not only complied with Honda OEM specs, but certain Subaru specs as well. This was at the request of Walmart to reduce the variety of model numbers they had to carry (and save shelf space)

He reitereated that there had been NO quality problems with the 2808 filters and that I can use my remaining stockpile without fears. He stated that hundreds of thousands of this model number had been sold with high quality standards.

Overall, I'm impressed by the responsiveness of this Company. All I asked for was for them to respond to an internet rumor and I got immediate and thorough response. Very unusual.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
I picked up a Super-Tech 3593a at wally's last night.

I wish there had been a scale nearby. The s/t version seemed to be heavier than the Fram version.

More media, thicker cannister?

Hey, I thought you said Fram was a dollar off at K-Mart? I haven't checked the canister, but in the 3950, the ST has more than twice the media as agent orange. Those metal end caps are going to weigh more too. Do they take more glue for the more difficult cardboard to metal seal?

I went to Wal-Mart's web site and sent them a message saying that if they don't stock my filter in something besides Fram, I will buy my filters elsewhere.

I didn't think there would be a rush from this board to K-Mart.

lol.gif

I can weigh the s/t 2808 against the s/t 3593a

[ March 28, 2003, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: GROUCHO MARX ]

lol just switch the boxes with a supertech. =)

[ March 28, 2003, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: digitaldrifter91 ]

I put the "Big Kahuna" WIX-made Castrol MaxPro MP3985 on my Hyundai 2.7 liter V6 two weeks ago. There were no interferrence issues and it allows a full 5 qt. oil load at change. The actual WIX number under their brand name is 51626. Their part number for their Fram 3593A eqivalent is 51381. The bypass pressures are listed as 8-11 psi for both. The WIX 51626/3985 is listed as having filter medium dimensions of 3.8" x 3.6". The WIX 51381/3593A is listed as having filter medium dimensions of 3.1" x 3.2". That's 38% more filtration area by using the WIX 51626/3985 plus the ability to run an additional 8 oz. of oil in my engine.

Is the gasket size still the same? I think I checked one time before and the gasket sizes were different.

HondaRD, the Castrol filter's gasket is definitely a larger diameter than a Canadian Honda filter I have left over and a SuperTech 3593A filter I have on hand. Fortunately, for me, the Hyundai 2.7 liter V6 has a very broad gasket mounting surface that is very forgiving about the filter gasket diameter. (The SuperTech and Honda filters as well as some 2808s, and , an actual Hyundai filter I also have, will all eventually pull duty on that engine. By the time I have 27,000 miles on that car, I'll be able to get serious about the remaining 24 Castrol 3985s I bought on closeout at Kmart...)

Ray,

My '95 Accent specs the 3593A as well. I will consider the 3985 size on my next change. At the very least, I'll look at them side-by-side at the store next time I go.

Thanks,
Tim

I HAVE A QUESTION I HAVE A 97 PONTIAC GRAND AM BOOK CALLS FOR 3387 FILTER BUT I HAVE BEEN USING THE 3980 FILTER BECAUSE IT IS TALLER IS THIS A BAD THING TO BE DOING IT,S A 3.1 V6

quote:

Originally posted by jc1990:
I HAVE A QUESTION I HAVE A 97 PONTIAC GRAND AM BOOK CALLS FOR 3387 FILTER BUT I HAVE BEEN USING THE 3980 FILTER BECAUSE IT IS TALLER IS THIS A BAD THING TO BE DOING IT,S A 3.1 V6

I think that it is a good thing to do!

quote:

Originally posted by jc1990:

The 3980 is standard operating procedure on the 3.1, 3.4 and any other GM engines that have the clearance instead of the 3387A

I see little harm in using the larger filter if it fits. I ran PF 52's in
place of the book's PF 47 on my Grand Am. If you are really greedy
for filter area, make sure that is a ST 3980 and not a PH 3980. Likely
the equivalent AC has even more filter area, and may not cost more
than the Fram. The Advance Auto across the street from my
Walmart sells AC's for about what Wally's wants for a Fram. I
wouldn't use anything else if they stocked the weird ones I need
now.

This is a great thread that other newbies might want to see.

[Replied in order to put this back on the homepage.]

wow i stared this thread on March 10, 2003...

yea alot of noobs would want to know what happen to that filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back