walmart recalled st2808

Status
Not open for further replies.
all walmarts in my area has recalled all supertech oil filters 2808 for the accords/civics/integras (some). i asked the guy to do an inventory check and he told me that they have been recalled and sent back to the company for some complication. in the database it said that the oil filters are of bad quality in every test, we will not carry this filter until further notice...

man just when i was convinced that i can run supertech!!

is this true where you guys live?

lol i dont know. i wonder if i can call walmart inc for details on why this is. cause i been looking around on this forum and other walmarts in other states have not recalled this filter.

The comment of being "bad quality in every test" is questionable as recalls come from the manufacturer/supplier. Wal-Mart and other retailers don't recall products, the suppliers do.

usually if wal mart gets enough complaints they complain to the company....all their returned products go back to the company for testing i think...

*sniff* *sniff*
rolleyes.gif

Just got back from a little "scouting" trip to three Wally Worlds in my area (Rialto, Fontana, and Rancho Cucamonga in southern California). All of 'em were packed with 2808s and none of the floor people in the automotive departments I visited claimed they had heard anything about any SuperTech oil filter recall. Doesn't mean there isn't one or there won't be one - just reporting what I saw and was told. I just wonder if there might have been a recall on one or more specific lot numbers that may have gone out to other areas of the country... (One of the benefits of retirement is that I have time for this sort of foolishness.)

[ March 12, 2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

hehe i have no wally world here...but they took back my nissan filters to!! these guys suck!! haha. so i dont know. i want my filter

Here's my theory: That filter is recommended for Nissan Vehicles for which the larger longer filter is used. Nissan will not specify the shorter Nissan made filter in engines larger than the 2.5. I'm guessing that the ST just does not have the flow capability-Just a guess. The ST 3950 will worl.

I use a 2808 on my Elantra. Visited last night and the filter is mysteriously gone. No space on the shelf for it, nothing. I had contacted the Champion Labs tech about which filter to use so I have his e-mail address. Might drop a line and see what's going on.
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
I use a 2808 on my Elantra. Visited last night and the filter is mysteriously gone. No space on the shelf for it, nothing. I had contacted the Champion Labs tech about which filter to use so I have his e-mail address. Might drop a line and see what's going on.
confused.gif

Who cares-go with the 3950

The 3950 is physically fatter (possibly more filter area, and very probably more oil capacity), so you'd have to watch for sufficient physical clearance around nearby "stuff". The 3950 also has slightly different bypass valve pressure characteristics when compared to the 2808. I think I'll go back and load up on some 2808s for my own Hyundai - you got me a bit worried...
confused.gif

I use the ST2 and ST16 filters for non-broken engines
cool.gif

translation: engines that aren't missing 4 or 2 cylinders
cool.gif
cool.gif
J/K
wink.gif

good i have no problem with space...but jsut worried about the bypass valve. i never had one really..hehehe..ill give it a shot and ill open both later on to see if there is more filter media. ill probably use it for my second auto rx treatment. thanks, maybe in the future ill buy some of them 2808's from you hehe.
quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
The 3950 is physically fatter (possibly more filter area, and very probably more oil capacity), so you'd have to watch for sufficient physical clearance around nearby "stuff". The 3950 also has slightly different bypass valve pressure characteristics when compared to the 2808. I think I'll go back and load up on some 2808s for my own Hyundai - you got me a bit worried...
confused.gif

I bought a few of these ST2808 (black can) last week and I noticed that the bypass valve is no longer at the top of the can. It also is not like the ST3950 with it at the mounting plate end. In fact it's nowhere to be seen.

Has anyone else noticed this and/or cut one open. I'm beginning to wonder if this new ST2808 even has a bypass valve. Maybe it was mislabelled and thereby the disappearance from many stores.

Here's The Champion Labs response:

"Wal-Mart has requested we consolidate some part numbers in the Super Tech filter line. In doing so, the ST2808 will now be labeled as ST3593A.

The ST3593A is fitted with an anti-drainback valve as well as a by-pass valve; as was the ST2808. The SuperTech filter line meets or exceeds all original equipment requirements for fit and function.

If you require additional assistance, please feel free to contact our
Filter Hotline at 800-882-0890.

Thank you.

Dale Hayes
Technical Assistance
Representative"

My e-mail to them:
I like supporting a real manufacturer right here in my own state of Illinois. For this reason, I buy Walmart's Supertech brand oil filters because you make them.

However, I recently heard that there might be problems with the ST2808 filter for my Honda Odyssey (Alabama built, mind you). Is there any truth to this? Should I get this filter out of my van NOW?

I read this on an internet forum. So far I consider it hearsay and would like to hear from you if the product is OK for continued use. The WalMart store personnel were completely in the dark, but I did notice that there was no longer even a sticker on the shelf for ST2808 filters anymore.

Please reassure me!

(These guys responded in less than 10 hours!)

Well, I went back to the three WallyWorlds I'd scouted a couple of days ago with intent to stock up on a few 2808s. This time they were gone. All gawwwnnnn!!! I looked at a 3593A. If there's a bypass valve on that filter, I couldn't find hide nor hair of it. The Hyundai 26300-35500 oil filter I my Sonata V6 was delivered with does have a bypass valve, so I'll assume my engine does not have a built-in bypass valve and using an oil filter without a bypass valve could be catastrophic. I'm used to seeing a coil spring holding a flat disk against a sealing gasket at the non-baseplate end or a wide coil spring surrounding the outlet port at the baseplate end. If I can verify that the SuperTech 3593A does have a bypass filter, I'd be willing to try one. So, what else should I look for regarding a bypass valve on a 3593A? Given the speculation of who's going to be blending and bottling SuperTech oil after May, and WallyWorld's "consolidation" of its oil filter line, are we seeing the initial stages of the dumbing-down of WallyWorld's automotive products line?

Well you got a lot more details than I did....

"The Super Tech line is being renovated. The ST2808 is being replaced by
ST3593A. It will have a different look, but will still be the same quality
as the ST2808.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Filter Hotline at
800-882-0890."

Dale Hayes
Technical Assistance
Representative

I hope renovated doesn't mean cardboard ends.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back