Walking thru Sears today....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go into Sears to cool off, that;s about all they're good for. I have a house full of Kenmore and Craftsman but I will not buy anymore because of poor custmer service and I doubt they will be around long enough to honor any warranties.

Last edited:
Our local store actually seems reasonably busy when I'm there. There clothes at 40-50% off seem like a decent deal.
We also bought a new kenmore canister vacuum this year, the last one only went 25 years and all the important stuff still worked but the wheels had worn out and the hose and handle was mostly duct tape. The new one seems a bit better built than the old one but is the same basic design, so hopefully it won't need so much duct tape 20 years from now... If sears finally does go under, I guess I'll buy 100 bags and see what happens.

Where I live there is a Sears and Kmart right across the street from each other. Both stores seem to have come to the game late, as both are dying. Walmart 100 yards away is packed every day, Sears & Kmart near empty.
By the way those filters are for Kohler & b&s engines, they are an abbreviated 3614 filter. Rural king sells that same filter for 7.99! Or buy a larger 3614 for $5, you're choice.

As for tools, that was what sustained our Sears for years, no more. I buy some HF electric tools if I don't plan to use them much. Funny thing is, I've used all of them way more than I ever intended, and they simply will not die. YMMV!

When Craftsman still sourced and sold USA made tools, they gave you the best value of price versus performance. Now, they charge the same as they would for USA tools and give us Chinese [censored] (the Taiwanese stuff is serviceable). Why would I pay 35% more for Craftsman tools when my local Harbor Freight has the same castings that Craftsman uses for dirt cheap?

I had in my store 3 different thin profile Craftsman 3/8" ratchets carrying the same model number. 1 made in USA, 1 made in Taiwan, 1 made in China. The USA one doesn't bind, grind, changes direction smoothly and was packed with grease right out of the box. The Taiwan model doesn't bind, grinds a bit after direction changes, changes directions smoothly most times and is packed with a very thin grease. The China model barely works, grinds heavily, doesn't change directions smoothly and was coated in used motor oil. I had to take that one apart, remove the metal shavings from production, clean the motor oil out and pack it with grease. It still doesn't work as well as the higher end Harbor Freight ones that cost $20 max. This model sells for $38 from Sears.

The fall from grace has been painful to watch. The higher ups still don't understand why they're flagging so badly. As for Kenmore products, they've always been rebrands of other makes. You can't blame Kenmore when it was actually made by Whirlpool. Now as far as the service goes, that is on Sears.

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
When Craftsman still sourced and sold USA made tools, they gave you the best value of price versus performance. Now, they charge the same as they would for USA tools and give us Chinese [censored] (the Taiwanese stuff is serviceable). Why would I pay 35% more for Craftsman tools when my local Harbor Freight has the same castings that Craftsman uses for dirt cheap?

I had in my store 3 different thin profile Craftsman 3/8" ratchets carrying the same model number. 1 made in USA, 1 made in Taiwan, 1 made in China. The USA one doesn't bind, grind, changes direction smoothly and was packed with grease right out of the box. The Taiwan model doesn't bind, grinds a bit after direction changes, changes directions smoothly most times and is packed with a very thin grease. The China model barely works, grinds heavily, doesn't change directions smoothly and was coated in used motor oil. I had to take that one apart, remove the metal shavings from production, clean the motor oil out and pack it with grease. It still doesn't work as well as the higher end Harbor Freight ones that cost $20 max. This model sells for $38 from Sears.

The fall from grace has been painful to watch. The higher ups still don't understand why they're flagging so badly. As for Kenmore products, they've always been rebrands of other makes. You can't blame Kenmore when it was actually made by Whirlpool. Now as far as the service goes, that is on Sears.

Yeah that's what I don't understand is they make them in china now and yet they still sell them for the same price, actually many things they increased in price.

I'm looking at a 12year old Kenmore Elite - it raised several teens who liked to hold the door open a while. Korean appliances are having plenty problems too - all this dumping on the US market is hurting jobs and it's not like you bought a Toyota in the process ...
I have been to SK many, many, times - they don't buy our stuff - just thier stuff ...
Obama's epic free trade agreement he never talks about ...

I do miss the fantastic candy/snack counter that sears once had in the 70's early 80's. Popcorn, roasted cashews, all kinds of chocolate. You could smell it as soon as you entered the store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back