Walbro WT-1029-1 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I just did a rebuild on my Craftsman trimmer. Had issues last season with occasionally flooding trying to get it started. This year ignition coil failed and checked carb and changed gaskets and metering diaphragm (small hole and brittle). It wouldn't prime right and kept flooding. Needle and seat are good and clean. I think I may have inadvertently discarded a diaphragm from the pump side. For the life of me, I don't remember seeing one when I took it apart and cleaned it. Walbro diagram says there is a part no. 92-662-8 between the primer and the housing. The strange thing is, it doesn't list a gasket in the diagram which I know for sure was there because it was stuck to the primer housing. The flooding happens when I prime it. Fuel squirts right in the Venturi and keeps flowing from tank pressure. I did check all the check valves and the main jet and all the rubber discs are there. I also put a new primer check valve and primer bulb. Inlet line blows freely right to the impulse port with the carb removed from the engine I know it is suppose to resist for pop off check. Thanks for any insight to something I have missed.

Last edited:
I've been buying entire replacement carbs on ebay for ~$10 or so

Kudos to you for tackling a weedeater carb!

Yeah, that 1029 isn't that cheap. Has the solenoid on the meter side. I assume it kills the engine when it doesn't sense fuel as it is connected to the kill switch circuit. I bought a spare anyway for $39. That was cheapest I could find for that one. If anyone knows of an older simpler conversion Walbro model that would work in its place, I am all ears. This one doesn't have a choke either. Just says pump and pull.

Last edited:
Update: I had a spare K24 WAT kit and the pump membrane is almost the same as the K25. It just needed a small hole just to the right of the center hole(prime). She fired right up. A little adjustment and I think she is back to life. I disconnected the solenoid wires to make sure it would run and she runs strong. Like "hot rod" strong compared to what I remember. I was wondering if the Homelite ignition module I put on it may have changed something(timing) but it looked identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back