Wal-Mart "pit crew" cheap oil change, what do they use?

So Dad's Escape (2015, 2.0EB) was due for an oil change a few weeks ago. He got fed up with the ford dealer a while back, so the last couple years my brother and I have been changing the oil for him. (I buy the oil and filter, Bro does the work). anyway, this time he didn't want to wait for the weekend for my my brother to do it, but he didn't want to take it to the only place he could think of, the Local VIOC, where he'd taken Mom's Taurus a few times, and been charged like $75 for mid tier OC.
I did a little price searching, and sent him to Wal-Mart, suggesting the reasonably Priced Synthetic change (IIRC like $40-45 with QS Syn)
when he got there , the girl at the counter asked him what level of Oil change he wanted...looked at the menu board... went with the $20-ish "Pit Crew" oil change.

i get that it doesn't "need" a full syn, but 1) I default to always using a synthetic (I usually use WIX filters and Store Brand Synthetic) 2) I've always heard to err towards Syn anytime a Turbo is involved (Ecoboost engine)

any Idea what oil they would have used? I know it's a Fram Core Filter (fine, whatever) just worried (probably overly so) about the "cheap" oil...

Was Quaker state conventional in the past. Now probably the all mileage which is a syn-blend. Nothing wrong with a 5k pull maybe a Toyota that's easy on oil 7500.

It depends on the store and region of the country.
Pre-SOPUS, the stores in central and western New York State used Quaker State bulk oil almost exclusively. Sometime after Y2K the stores in the same area switched to Pennzoil in their bulk tanks. After a few years of that, around 2008, Wally's started ordering the six-gallon boxes into their regional distribution centers. They would ship pallets of QS boxes to the stores, and that became the lowest price oil changes, while still having Pennzoil available for a slight upcharge.
I have no first-hand knowledge of other regions, but I heard some places featured Castrol or Valvoline.

last i knew it was only 20 bucks and they used the black green bottle conventional quaker state but now i think the new api sp conventional quaker state is purely syn blend but it also got raised to i think 25 bucks.

Probably cheapest oil that is API. It’s fine, just don‘t go too long on this oil change
It's fine for 5,000 miles-don't you think? Especially if it's a syn-blend as stated above.

Last edited:
If you call the store and ask, or look online for their "sold only in store" oil specials, you'll know the answer.

Around here it's QS All Mileage. Actually that's my assumption because their work orders still show SN, not SP oil. I'm sure they're not using two year old stock.
If it's QS All Mileage it'd have to be SP, the All Mileage rebrand didn't happen until after the SP transition.

Usually large chain won't risk lawsuit using the wrong or under spec oil. If your EB spec an oil they didn't use they can get sued unless you bring them in.

If you really want to use syn and save money, and the place charge you ridiculous amount for synthetic but cheap oil change for the bare minimum spec oil, you can bring your own oil in and tell them to use your oil for the "regular" price. It might still end up cheaper this way.

i have asked at walmarts both ne and sw. answer was always quaker state green bottle, which always surprises me because i would assume that walmart would use its in-house super tech oil. one guy did offer an alternate conventional oil on the shelf to qs if i would pay the difference.

i have asked at walmarts both ne and sw. answer was always quaker state green bottle, which always surprises me because i would assume that walmart would use its in-house super tech oil. one guy did offer an alternate conventional oil on the shelf to qs if i would pay the difference.
I would guess that SOPUS is subsidizing the choice of QS in that offering.

almost ALL oil blends have "some" synthetic usually group III + semi syns have minimal "synthetic" usually as there are NO laws on that i am aware of. prolly any oil today that meets the required spec is fine + earlier changing with lesser oils is smart especially if short tripping only as many older drivers do, myself included do + i concur with synthetic for turbos + NO xxW20's in ANYTHING!!!

I would guess that SOPUS is subsidizing the choice of QS in that offering.
Effectively, it's a subsidy because they sell it at a very low price. They have been for a decade or more. The quantities are staggering, though.

Whatever it is you can feel confident with Walmart that it is a proper API rated oil.
Walmarts business to oil suppliers is huge and no oil supplier will risk that relationship with inferior products.

So Dad's Escape (2015, 2.0EB) was due for an oil change a few weeks ago. He got fed up with the ford dealer a while back, so the last couple years my brother and I have been changing the oil for him. (I buy the oil and filter, Bro does the work). anyway, this time he didn't want to wait for the weekend for my my brother to do it, but he didn't want to take it to the only place he could think of, the Local VIOC, where he'd taken Mom's Taurus a few times, and been charged like $75 for mid tier OC.
I did a little price searching, and sent him to Wal-Mart, suggesting the reasonably Priced Synthetic change (IIRC like $40-45 with QS Syn)
when he got there , the girl at the counter asked him what level of Oil change he wanted...looked at the menu board... went with the $20-ish "Pit Crew" oil change.

i get that it doesn't "need" a full syn, but 1) I default to always using a synthetic (I usually use WIX filters and Store Brand Synthetic) 2) I've always heard to err towards Syn anytime a Turbo is involved (Ecoboost engine)

any Idea what oil they would have used? I know it's a Fram Core Filter (fine, whatever) just worried (probably overly so) about the "cheap" oil...
If the oil is at least SN rated it will be fine. Better than dirty oil.

Is that one of those ford 5w-20 cars? If you use conventional 5k is actually pushing it from what i've seen. 7500 the stuff is dark black and well done.

Back