Waiting for a sale...which tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking towards next spring/summer to get new shoes for the 4Runner. After lots of shopping online I've eliminated numerous tires and manufacturers from my list.

I'm probably 95+% on-road with an occasional foray for some exploration, with nothing hardcore off road to date in this vehicle - it's too new to me.

I've narrowed it down to these three and am wondering what folks think.

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2

Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Michelin LTX A/T 2

The BF Goodrich is a Load Range C, the Michelins are Standard Range.

Thanks for your input, appreciate the perspective.

You just missed the DT labor day sale. I ordered some Defender LTX tires in a 35 12.50 20 size. Won't know how good they do for a few weeks when the lift kit comes in/gets installed and all that. If your not going to actively go searching for mud pits and off road challenges i think its the way to go. Plenty of capability to travel and explore unpaved areas and have a super quiet ride.

Originally Posted by dareo
You just missed the DT labor day sale.

There's always Memorial Day
cheers3.gif

All three are good and all three are Michelin, except actual Michelin is probably going to have latest technology in it.
If you are on the road mostly, actual Michelin then.

BFGs are overkill, require higher pressures for equivalent loading (it's an LT tire), and will not have quite the road manners of either of the other two. Plus, if you have 4x4, it's doubtful you'll take it beyond what the others can already do. If you need to call upon KO2 traction with 4wd, that's pretty serious. on the hwy they are heavier which will detract from the ride. I have nothing against the BFGs- they are a great tire with near-cult following, your use case just favors the other two.

I recommend Discoverer AT3 and Adventurer A/T. These cooper tires are all-season tires that offer all-terrain traction. Their tread pattern is not too aggressive, making them smooth and quiet on the highway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back